Sign in to follow this  
mbunjes

Undocked windows on 2nd monitor

Hi,

Lately I'm having this problem : When I undock my CDU's (PMDG 737NGX) and drag them to a 2nd monitor they stop updating when pressing a key (nothing shows on the CDU) When I drag them back to the main monitor I can see that they in fact show the input I just made. When I try to resize them they go black. The same for the lower EICAS.
I've flown in this configuration for years without any problems. I did install some new programs and airports but after uninstalling them and rebuilding the .cfg file I still have this problem. I checked the resolution and color depth in the settings and checked the .cfg file for old graphics entries.

I have also tried several older video drivers to no avail.

I hope someone here has an idea otherwise I have to do a full reinstall, something which I'm not looking forward to.

Martin

I personally do not see how you were able to use that configuration for years without any problems.  I have two monitors and have dragged map view or the cdu to the secondary monitor.  It works until I try moving things around again.  The screen goes black and whatever I'm running on the main monitor gets slower and slower to operate.  I eventually have to shut down fsx and restart it to fix the problem.  It might work great if you have two video cards with a monitor connected to each one but I can't see this working with one video card.  I doubt a full reinstall will work.  Your problem is with memory and especially GPU resources.  Just my thoughts.  Sorry I could not provide a fix.

Best regards,

Jim

I just tried it in Windows mode and probably should have stated I had the problems in Full Screen mode.  It works find in Windowed Mode.  To be honest, I have never tried it in Windowed mode until now and only tried it in Full Screen mode and I got the problems you are having when you tried to move things around.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well, I build this computer in 2010 and have been flying the PMDG NGX from the moment it came on the market. I've always  used two monitors on one graphics card to display left and right CDU and the lower EICAS. FSX always was in windowed mode and I was able to resize the undocked windows to any size. I've never had any problems up till now.

Anyway,  I found a few things worth trying, I'll try those tomorrow

martin

Well, I build this computer in 2010 and have been flying the PMDG NGX from the moment it came on the market. I've always  used two monitors on one graphics card to display left and right CDU and the lower EICAS. FSX always was in windowed mode and I was able to resize the undocked windows to any size. I've never had any problems up till now.

Anyway,  I found a few things worth trying, I'll try those tomorrow

martin

I have same 2 display setup one main and other for undocked windows, its been fine till recently.

But as mentioned i find if i dont try to resize them well into the flight, its ok.

Also try getting "fsx Store and resore" free addon, its excllent to let you store undocked window size and positions, so you can recall later. Very easy to use. 

so i no longer have to manually resize windows. I also storesaved flight for each plane i fly with windows roughly where they should be, but store restore helps make this work better still.

So to avoid the issue you are facing, i only ressize undocked windows soon after fsx start, later into flight i dont dare resiz\e undocked anymore.

I think it also depends on the a/c as well, first time i seeing this is with justflight bae 146, never had this issue with fsx defulat a/c  i was using.

Well, I think I've solved it. In the Nvidia Inspector / FSX profile / common I changed the "Multi-Display / mixed GPU acceleration" setting from "Multiple display performance" to single monitor mode and so far everything seems to be working fine now.

Well, I think I've solved it. In the Nvidia Inspector / FSX profile / common I changed the "Multi-Display / mixed GPU acceleration" setting from "Multiple display performance" to single monitor mode and so far everything seems to be working fine now.

thanks for the feedback will try that