Sign in to follow this  
MichaelMoe

Summer cooling for my FSX

FSX is a winter simulator no doubt . Having these overclocked CPU´s making the default temperature steady at 40-42c at summer and  25-29c at winter does something to performance so i was thinking, 

Who has invented a cooling device for the air intake to our PC´s ? 

We need airconditioning so why not give it to our PC`s as well :-)

Michael Moe

I consider it a great opportunity to stress-test the system. If my overclock works when the temperature in the room is at 28.5C, then I know it's going to be stable all year.

Fortunately (?), summer is a rare meteorological phenomena here in Sweden.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Yup, just yesterday I had to clock down my CPU due to summer heat causing more instability than usual. Really wish we had 7 Ghz CPUs.

Summer? Please explain ..what is this summer thing you speak off?

I just purchased a separate A/C unit to keep my computers and myself cool. Summer is the worst as my room faces the Sun and no amount of window tint can counteract the heat.

Been there got the TShirt, now summer, winter or shine my FSx PC no longer cares WHY?.

For few years been toying with idea of going  to Home depot style place in UK callled B&Q or Homebase to get flexbile piping of the type used by portable A/C, for use with my FSX PC.

Since my case is a Lian Li Heat Tunnel setup, it has only one exit in the back for all the air coming out, i pipsed this to an outside window from the back of the PC.

The reason this works perfectly is cause, Modern PC's especially OC'd PC acts like a heater in any average sized room, previously my PC can raise room temprature by up to 6 degrees or more. And if i use FSx time acceleration as i do for lon g haul up to 16x, the heat goes up with time accelration in FSX.

Since  piping the hot air directly outside barely noticed more than 1 degree rise in room temp, which means the PC fans supply it with endless cool air from the room. 

With a pack of bluetack i stuck the conduit, which i suspect is plastic design for W/C type joints, but perfect size for 120mm coming from back of PC, flexible soft pipe purchased take hot air right out.

This Air cooling is better than water cooling where hot air is expelled inside the room.  

My i7990 is still running smoothly at 4.74 Ghz.

Still have the portable A/C as backup, but doubt ill be needing it much this summer, especially as it looks like UK is expereincing mini ICE age in the back of all that global warming.

Yeh, and no more smell of PC parts during takeoff run, all goes outside, i bet that stuff can be toxic when PC gets really hot.

I just purchased a separate A/C unit to keep my computers and myself cool. Summer is the worst as my room faces the Sun and no amount of window tint can counteract the heat.

Yeah same here

Been there got the TShirt, now summer, winter or shine my FSx PC no longer cares WHY?.

For few years been toying with idea of going  to Home depot style place in UK callled B&Q or Homebase to get flexbile piping of the type used by portable A/C, for use with my FSX PC.

Since my case is a Lian Li Heat Tunnel setup, it has only one exit in the back for all the air coming out, i pipsed this to an outside window from the back of the PC.

The reason this works perfectly is cause, Modern PC's especially OC'd PC acts like a heater in any average sized room, previously my PC can raise room temprature by up to 6 degrees or more. And if i use FSx time acceleration as i do for lon g haul up to 16x, the heat goes up with time accelration in FSX.

Since  piping the hot air directly outside barely noticed more than 1 degree rise in room temp, which means the PC fans supply it with endless cool air from the room. 

With a pack of bluetack i stuck the conduit, which i suspect is plastic design for W/C type joints, but perfect size for 120mm coming from back of PC, flexible soft pipe purchased take hot air right out.

This Air cooling is better than water cooling where hot air is expelled inside the room.  

My i7990 is still running smoothly at 4.74 Ghz.

Still have the portable A/C as backup, but doubt ill be needing it much this summer, especially as it looks like UK is expereincing mini ICE age in the back of all that global warming.

Yeh, and no more smell of PC parts during takeoff run, all goes outside, i bet that stuff can be toxic when PC gets really hot.

I wish I could get my PC to heat my room. I sit in my basement where the temps rarely get above 20C, it's actually warmer in the winter because the house furnace runs but in the summer it's the coolest place in the house ...as I type wearing a hoody.

Try being in Arizona when it's 110 degrees every single day in the summer... -.-

And in the winter seeing highs of 70s or even 80s... dreadful.

I wish I could get my PC to heat my room. I sit in my basement where the temps rarely get above 20C, it's actually warmer in the winter because the house furnace runs but in the summer it's the coolest place in the house ...as I type wearing a hoody.

I wanted to move my setup to the basement for that reason also, but I have a flooding fear that one day I will go down there and find my gear ruined.

You dont need heating in your basement.

Get an i7990 OC'd to 4.74Ghzz and GTX690 into your FSX PC , these will heat up your basement sufficiently. You can increase the temperature of this heater by tunrning up time acceleration in FSX.

Better FPS and no more hoody.

Keep some tissue handy for sweat if you'nt piping out that hot air.

As example in my case, sensor on air coming inside PC case could be 24 degC, temp sensor at back going out will be around 37 deg C. Cause Its heat from all components going out one exit.

In my case most of the heat is from Graphics card, North Bridge,  closely followed by CPU.

Try two of those computers. Windows open in winter and AC on in summer. PSU's put out alot of heat also.

Try being in Arizona when it's 110 degrees every single day in the summer... -.-

Yeah, but it's a DRY heat.  :)

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

lol I will be there in July...I love the heat. I'll be happy to take a couple of months of +40C instead of 8 months of winter when it can be -40C

DoubleJ, where are you coming from?

lol I will be there in July...I love the heat. I'll be happy to take a couple of months of +40C instead of 8 months of winter when it can be -40C