Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

speeding down the glideslope ?

I can't seem to be able to land this plane in once piece.I have been practicing landings at eggp rwy 09 for 2 days now and for some reason  even I have my speed nailed by the time I'm at my faf once the plane intercepts the loc the ac starts speeeding down the glideslope and I always end  up ,"landing" at 180sish most of the time. i tried using a full plane,empty plane, with flaps 15 and also 35.no joy. 

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Vic

Well the obvious things you've not mentioned are power/torque and propeller RPM. Are you definitely at idle power (i.e. <6% torque)?

The other thing would be are you using the appropriate flap settings for any given speed?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Are you using the NAV1 ILS approach? Some ILS approaches are corrupted. When you are flying down the approach, are you on autothrottle? And what plane are tou using?

Ill try this landing tomorrow. Let me see if I can get the landing.

If you pull the power levers back to flight idle even at maximum landing weight you will likely stall even if you are on the glide slope, those huge props will slow you down so much that the aircraft can no longer maintain flight. You must have the calibration wrong for the power levers, you cannot possibly be getting flight idle if you are doing 180 at touchdown. With this aircraft you actually need to keep the PL's open slightly all the way down to touchdown otherwise you will drop out of the sky. I repeat again you cannot be getting Flight Idle, it's the only explanation. Either that or you are coming in at a +6 degree slope, lol.

Cheers, Andy.

Are you on autothrottle? And what plane are tou using? Ill try this landing tomorrow.

This thread is in the Majestic MJC8 Q400 forum. The Q400 doesn't have autothrottle.

You must have the calibration wrong for the power levers, you cannot possibly be getting flight idle if you are doing 180 at touchdown... Either that or you are coming in at a +6 degree slope, lol.

I think Andy's hit the nail on the head here. In fact, even at 6 degrees the speed is controllable, the Q400 is approved to operate in to EGLC/LCY with its 5.5' glidepaths.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Well the obvious things you've not mentioned are power/torque and propeller RPM. Are you definitely at idle power (i.e. <6% torque)?

The other thing would be are you using the appropriate flap settings for any given speed?

I have followed the tips I found in the advanced tutorial.I For flaps 15 torque is around (18%) for flaps 35 torque is (>24<30).I never cut power before my wheels touch down otherwise i just drop like a brick

If you are on the GS your speed should be the deciding factor where you put the power levers, not what someone else told you may be appropriate. If you are going too fast pull back the PL's its a simple as that, if you are going too slow push em forward again a little just like you would with any other aircraft without AT.

Cheers, Andy.

The tips are just that, tips, they are not rigid operating procedures; if you're airspeed is moving away from your target with those torque/flap combinations, then simply use less torque until the situation is corrected.

But as the tutorial said, I can't recommend cutting the power during the flare as it tends to result in sharp decline in airspeed.

EDIT: Andy, are you my long lost brother? :lol: We're certainly singing off the same sheet simultaneously!

support1.jpg

if you're airspeed is moving away from your target with those torque/flap combinations, then simply use less torque until the situation is corrected.

Looks like someything must be wrong with my  yoke,I might need to re-set my power levers.as it is now I'm using one lever only for both engines and when I move one  the other moves by itself and I cannot get torque right.if i move the torque down to say 20% the other lever jumps up or down  and the torque moves all over the place.

I just managed to land the plane but it was such an ugly landing with a few  bounces.Whenever I land  the plane after few secs the plane goes out the runway to the right no matter how much I tried to keep it centered

The first time I landed the Q400 I was all over the place. Bounced. Nearly came off the right side of the runway.

A month or 2 of practice later and I'm pulling approaches where I'm on Base leg 3 miles out from touchdown, still turning final at 30 degree bank angle at 700ft and touching down right on the vref speed.

Practice. Planning. Speed. and a soft hand. Link rudder/elevator and throttle together in your brain. If one moves, all the other ones move too.

I'm having the same issue. I'll be at flaps 15, gear down, rpm 850, at Vref at GS capture. Once the aircraft begins following the GS, the speed goes up quickly to 150 to 180 kts. I've tried bringing the power back to idle and even dropping flaps to 35 but the speed continues to climb. It seems the AP gets behind the GS quickly then has to play catchup.

Todd

I'm having the same issue. I'll be at flaps 15, gear down, rpm 850, at Vref at GS capture. Once the aircraft begins following the GS, the speed goes up quickly to 150 to 180 kts. I've tried bringing the power back to idle and even dropping flaps to 35 but the speed continues to climb. It seems the AP gets behind the GS quickly then has to play catchup.

Todd

Is the autopilot behind the glideslope? are you high as well as fast?

I do find it sometimes drops out of GS/LOC and into pitch hold mode on occasion, so I'm generally fairly likely to drop Autopilot entirely if something looks wrong and hand fly the thing. Pull back power before you even notice speed increasing. Starting a descent from level flight = the speed will increase the steeper you descend.

Instead of waiting to react to speed increasing, try to 'predict' the speed increase and act before it does. You should know when the plane will start to descend (it's when the Glideslope is in the centre of the gauge, or when you push the yoke forwards.) Be pulling throttle back before the descent begins. I'd also consider intercepting glideslope at no more than 160kts, and dropping landing gear right as you start descent. If the vertical speed is bigger than -850, there's something odd happening worth investigating (ie is the autopilot dropping out of Glideslope?)

Todd

don't forget to switch to rpm 1000. it provides a sort of braking effect as you descend which helps keep the speed down (and also is there if you need power for go around)

cheers

-andy crosby

Andy, I do increase RPM to full after pressing the reduced power performance landing button on the power panel. So, while I am at 850 RPM, if I have to go around, I can still get full RPM if needed.

My autopilot is engaged for most of the approach, but I need to double check if LOC and GS is staying active on the PFD.

Todd