Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

We have lift-off! SimHeaven OSM+AUTOGEN is ORBX GLOBAL!

i dont have xplane yet but im thinking of making the transition fro fs2004. this osm data seams to have breathed new life in here but i wish it was easier to install.will wait for easier install method

It's VERY easy to install.  You download, you then open the .zip file. You then drag the folder within the zip file over to your CUSTOM SCENERY FOLDER. There you have it...almost done.  You then fire up XPX. Let it take you to an airport. That's all you want to do. Then close down XPX, and open up your CUSTOM SCENERY FOLDER. At the bottom you will find an .ini file.  Double click to open that, and use my scenery .ini file as your guide to where to cut and paste the entries starting from the top, to the bottom. That's it!  Couldn't be easier.  Now go and enjoy your flight!  My own .ini file in my 'You figure it out' thread can be used as an example. You will see like groups of folders, some airports, some OSM, some Libraries, and where you see them in my .ini is where they need to go. Not coming across as an expert here, but have read, have done, and am having stellar results!

Mitch

Is there a tutorial for installing and using this scenery?

Not really, but it is quite easy. In fact, XPX has the EASIEST form of adding scenery that I have seen to date. The real trick to having a great run, is after loading a custom scenery folder, and running XPX, you shut it down, and go and open your .ini file which is at the bottom of your Custom Scenery Folder. Open up that file, and move around the entries as you have seen to do in this thread and a few other examples. SAVE your .ini file, and that is it. Very easy, and most non-intimidating.

Mitch

Reading the encouraging reviews of these OSM+Autogen packages I have now downlaoded the Europe and North America files and I must say they are absolutely brilliant, particularly the Europe one(only because I believe the OSM is more complete for Europe).

I think I may have to start doing my airport sceneries for Europe again, having been frustrated by the too Americanised autogen.

I would recommend these files highly and don't be worried about installing them, as Mitch says, they are very easy to do.

Thank you Mitch.  I will download the North American package and give it a try.  After seeing some of those long .ini files, I guess I got a little intimidated.   I have already  download the Chicago & Miami files from Simheaven.  Should I delete them before proceeding?

Thanks again,

Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Here's an easy little trick guys. You don't have to cut & paste or do anything other than delete the scenery-packs ini file in the custom scenery folder, then start X-Plane 10. It will build a new ini file with the scenery instancing in the correct order.

Hi, I'm new to this Forum...

Well, not really new, I'm registered since felt WW II, but I'm not a regular reader of this forum. Today alpilotx mentioned, that something is going on here about my web site simheaven.com and I had a look, and... it's incredible what positive feedback is here about osm and photo sceneries I've made and published, makes me glad!! :)

As Benny said, there will be an update of osm sceneries in the near future. This update will contain - compared to the previous version - smart exclusions that mix osm and autogen data better to show also buildings in areas where osm data is poor.

Sorry to write, but this is also North America, 120 MB compared to 1.1 GB for Europe, although not all European countries have good osm data, is really poor, you have to work on this. ;) Everbody can do this on openstreetmap.org, it's easy and in the next version, you'll see your houses, forest or whatsoever in X-Plane! :)

Here are pics of Barcelona and Sabadell, where some areas have nearly all buildings in osm, other areas nothing. You can see, how they mix together without intercepting:

And more from smaller cities:

The next changes are, that now also big forests and buildings with inner yards built of Multipolygons (Relations in osm) are included. And also forests at tile borders (sorry to write that Benny, but these are also missing) will be included. And I will change the facade set for Europe slightly.

Here are forests with inner yards built of multi polygons, which fits perfect to the ground:

In advance to the new osm sceneries, there will be an extract only with forests for Europe. Look how forests of osm data fit to the underlaying photo scenery:

I think new osm sceneries are available in two weeks time. I also said this in May, problems occur and have to be solved, I work together with other people helping me programming this and improving that, so forgive me if it is one week later. It took weeks to prepare data correctly thus tile processing is fast, and we have still to solve one problem with multi polygons and a osm2xp performance problem when thousands of exclusions have to be optimised. I prefer publishing a scenery that makes me glad and hopefully also the people using it. :)

Looking at some of the combinations of OSM and photo in some of the European shots that have been shared just makes me DROOL!  Great work guys!  That's it.  That's absolutely what I want!

Then I look at shots from the US where I fly, and...

Nevertheless, this effort is clearly going in a good direction.  Congrats on the promising work.

Scott

Here's an easy little trick guys. You don't have to cut & paste or do anything other than delete the scenery-packs ini file in the custom scenery folder, then start X-Plane 10. It will build a new ini file with the scenery instancing in the correct order.

Thanks Michael.  That should really simplify the process.  I will give it a try.

Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Scott, looking at shots from the US and shots from Europe 15 months ago, makes me starting iimproving scenery in Europe. Without my sceneries, little villages in Austria would look like downtown Manhattan! ;) X-Plane was and is still an US flight simulator, maybe some Americans don't know, that outside maybe houses different, but European guys are working on improving with houses, traffic, signs.

I'm sorry that I couldn't do US photosceneries, but... I have "Airport & City Areas" at simheaven.com, which cover all bigger airports in the US and worldwide - and even the cities!

Does it always order the packs in the correct order?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Does it always order the packs in the correct order?

It orders them in alphabetical order. So this method won't work. Sorry, I thought it was a simple solution but it still requires the user to sort most of them.

I said it in December 2011 and still believe that with the demise of Flight XP10 looks to be the path forward in consumer based flight sims and as it matured we'd see a slow and steady flow of MSFS users making the transition. The most difficult part of all of this for me has been the wait, the painfully slow yet constant development cycle XP10 has been evolving in; which ironically is one of its most important draws. Now about a year and a half later XP10 has made the 64 bit transition, as well as a myriad of other improvements, and I believe we'll end up seeing the momentum increase exponentially as the remaining shortcomings are addressed.

I'm glad more and more people discover all the amazing sceneries available for X-Plane. This was XPOSM + OSM2XP in X-Plane 9 (I did not wait) :

lor11-th.jpg lor12-th.jpg lor25-th.jpg lor17-th.jpg

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?239557-Bonanza-flight-in-Lorraine

:wink:

Hi, I'm new to this Forum...

Welcome ! B) You'll get more readers here than on the Aerosoft forum.

It's very important where you have your OSM North America listing in your .ini file.  All your airports and GLOBAL Scenery have to be before it, and your libraries have to be after the listing. Check out my 'you can figure it out' post and see where I have both of mine. That will not interfere with your stock roads. In fact, I have added to Canada with another OSM Canada Roads package that blends all in....nothing eclipsing the other. Again, from top to bottom, what you have listed is how XPX will load and give layering.  Very important.  Also, whenever you add to your Custom Scenery Folder, you need to fire up XPX. Go to an airport, get there, shut down, and then double click on your .ini file. cut and paste to get added scenery notation to where they need to be in the 'layer'. Then SAVE the file.  Good to go-------------------------->

I uninstalled all custom scenery except OpenSceneryX, and it turns out what I saw for downtown San Francisco is XP10's default for that part of the city (financial district).

Quick request... Can someone please check the financial district area of downtown and report if it looks similar to the pictures below? The roads even appear in the local map, just not on the terrain, not even at extreme road settings, and a quick Google didn't turn up anything... thanks

Thank you very much for the screenshots, PilotBalu! Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall XPX this weekend.

Screw finals. :D

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Thank you Mitch.  I will download the North American package and give it a try.  After seeing some of those long .ini files, I guess I got a little intimidated.   I have already  download the Chicago & Miami files from Simheaven.  Should I delete them before proceeding?

Thanks again,

Howard

Hi Howard,  

I think by reading, that you can keep those, and have them ABOVE the two continent files in the .ini file.  Here's a guide:

Keep all your custom airports at the top, above the airports that came with XPX.  Always have them above the stock airports. Then you add regional zones, like what you have, cities and localized areas. Then, you have your OSM files together, one after the other. You would put BELOW the OSM files, ......you would put any ortho or photo-real. Finally at the bottom, you'd put all your LIBRARY OBJECT folders.  It's that simple. Always remember to fire up XPX after you add anything to your CUSTOM SCENERY FOLDER, so it will be noted and 'registered' in your Scenery_Pack.ini file. Then shut down XPX, and cut and paste your newest additions to the 'right' regions of the file list.  That would be the time you'd fire up XPX and see what's up with your new scenery packs.

Welcome ! B) You'll get more readers here than on the Aerosoft forum.

That's for sure! :) But... servers are already running hot and I see guys answering all questions very well, so better take my time to improve sceneries! ;) Well I'll have a look at this thread.. :)

Thank you very much for the screenshots, PilotBalu! Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall XPX this weekend.

I also think you HAVE to do so! But this screenshots are near future, maybe Osm_Europe_forest+only is going online tonight! Normal Osm sceneries take a bit longer ;)