Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

We have lift-off! SimHeaven OSM+AUTOGEN is ORBX GLOBAL!

The more users start embracing X-Plane, the more Portals start doing what AVSIM is doing, the more 3pds realise the true  potential behind X-Plane10, the faster we will be able to see it evolve towards what we aim / want.

It's indeed a small, but superb team behind the project, and supporting them and the freeware / payware devs that are getting involved in this platform will only make it beter!

Here's a combination of OSM and Ortho that I already find wonderful (plis my preferred aircraft right now :-)

Others will easily show you much more sophisticated areas, and my graphics settings are far from maxed!

(click on images to enlarge :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi!

I´m a bit confused about the OSM files on simheaven.com . Is the file "North-America OSM+Autogen" really just 120.6 MB large? That seems very small for whole north America?!

The files at download.geofabrik.de are huge in comparison.

Thanks,

Oliver 

The files at download.geofabrik.de are huge in comparison.

Because the full OSM download contains ALL data like roads, railways, water features etc. etc. While the SimHeaven data is essentially only - but very effectively - using forest areas (landclass/natural polygons) and building footprints (and some point data, like windmills). And both of them is is still a "bit" lacking in the USA (compared to some European countries, where in some cities you have the map detail almost down to the kennel level :lol: ).

Because the full OSM download contains ALL data like roads, railways, water features etc. etc. While the SimHeaven data is essentially only - but very effectively - using forest areas (landclass/natural polygons) and building footprints (and some point data, like windmills). And both of them is is still a "bit" lacking in the USA (compared to some European countries, where in some cities you have the map detail almost down to the kennel level :lol: ).

Ahhh, so there is a bit of extra autogen in the downloads, but essentially it's allocating default assets in a way that closer reflects reality (i.e. where the roads / forests etc. actually are)? That may explain why my cities still contain the same bloody towerblocks wherever I fly...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Been exploring a bit of the south of France and Switzerland with the OSM / autogen package and all I can say is OH. MY. GOD. It is absolutely stunning scenery and very close to the real thing (I've driven around the area a couple of times, but not flown). Too busy having my breath taken away to take many screenshots, just this one at the end of the flight:

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

This sim. is becoming better and better by the day, what's missing in XP-10 compare to other major sims. can be added to it down the road (the sooner the better) but a lot of what XP-10 as that the others does not have can't be not added to them and that is why IMHO XP-10 is a winner.

I'm almost there as far as me buying it, I'm still waiting for some stuff to be added to it.

This sim. is becoming better and better by the day, what's missing in XP-10 compare to other major sims. can be added to it down the road (the sooner the better) but a lot of what XP-10 as that the others does not have can't be not added to them and that is why IMHO XP-10 is a winner.

I'm almost there as far as me buying it, I'm still waiting for some stuff to be added to it.

you're the only missing addition to xp10 :lol:  :P

Downloaded the North America OSM+autogen package. One problem with its coverage in my home city is that roads that are there in default XP no longer show up. In some cases it looks like the roads disappear into the ground rather than just end. Some buildings seem lower than they should be, too. I'm wondering if there's a slight difference in elevation data between the XP mesh and the OSM database that's throwing things off.

Check out downtown San Francisco, same thing--almost no roads anywhere between buildings.

Never added scenery to XP so please forgive the newbie questions.

1. What happens to the existing default scenery, i.e KSEA and surrounding areas?

2. Can this be added if you only have the demo?

Bob

Been exploring a bit of the south of France and Switzerland with the OSM / autogen package and all I can say is OH. MY. GOD. It is absolutely stunning scenery and very close to the real thing (I've driven around the area a couple of times, but not flown). Too busy having my breath taken away to take many screenshots, just this one at the end of the flight:

attachicon.gifBaron_58_1.png

See, see?  I'm not the only one sayin' OMG!  I did your version yesterday flying from Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada to the east shore of Nova Scotia over the Bay of Fundy.  Fabulous!

Mitch

Downloaded the North America OSM+autogen package. One problem with its coverage in my home city is that roads that are there in default XP no longer show up. In some cases it looks like the roads disappear into the ground rather than just end. Some buildings seem lower than they should be, too. I'm wondering if there's a slight difference in elevation data between the XP mesh and the OSM database that's throwing things off.

Check out downtown San Francisco, same thing--almost no roads anywhere between buildings.

It's very important where you have your OSM North America listing in your .ini file.  All your airports and GLOBAL Scenery have to be before it, and your libraries have to be after the listing. Check out my 'you can figure it out' post and see where I have both of mine. That will not interfere with your stock roads. In fact, I have added to Canada with another OSM Canada Roads package that blends all in....nothing eclipsing the other. Again, from top to bottom, what you have listed is how XPX will load and give layering.  Very important.  Also, whenever you add to your Custom Scenery Folder, you need to fire up XPX. Go to an airport, get there, shut down, and then double click on your .ini file. cut and paste to get added scenery notation to where they need to be in the 'layer'. Then SAVE the file.  Good to go-------------------------->

i dont have xplane yet but im thinking of making the transition fro fs2004. this osm data seams to have breathed new life in here but i wish it was easier to install.will wait for easier install method

Is there a tutorial for installing and using this scenery? I intend on using the. North American file.

Thanks, Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor