Sign in to follow this  
amorris

Two Big Problems

Hi to the Group!  Downloaded 1.007 and did a flight from Baton Rouge to Dallas and suffered some perplexing problems.  

Started up FSX, loaded the Q400, started ground power, opened the Control Panel, loaded 57 passengers, ~3500 lbs of cargo, and and ~4400 lbs of fuel.  Then, in the midst of the initial flows I saw an IMBALANCE warning on the Engine Display; I checked the fuel gauges and saw a total of ~8400 lbs (I loaded ~4400 lbs so where did the extra fuel come from?), and the fuel weight was grossly mismatched between the two tanks, with the left tank having about 5400 lbs and the right tank about 3000 lbs.  I started the fuel transfer process, but I find the extra fuel situation baffling.  Any explanations?

On my approach into Dallas I used VNAV to descend from FL240 to 9,000.  At that point, I reset the ALT to 6,000, pressed ALT SEL, then pressed IAS and rolled the wheel for 230 KIAS.  To my amazement the aircraft began climbing.  To reiterate: I was at 9,000 ft, set ALT for 6,000 ft, pressed ALT SEL and started climbing.  Again, I'm baffled.  Any explanations?

I should say this was only my second flight with the Q400.  My first flight with v1.006 was flawless, but I don't recall if I used IAS mode in that flight.  Surely, in this second flight I did something wrong....

Alan

Alan,

I have seen the anomoly with the fuel imbalance when loading with the control panel, this is on the bug list, but is not easy to replicate, but it will be addressed.

If possible could you run the flight again to verify if you experience the same issuethe moment that you notice an oddity, please save the situaltion and send the files to our support email (accessible via our website)...be sure to give a detailed explanation when sending the email.

Thanks

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

for the first one, if you are running the APU the loader won't change the fuel for the tank it is using. since it starts with full fuel the tank that is being used will stay basically full. dunno if this is intended or not.

for the second one, it sounds like you were going faster than 230 knots.. if your speed is above the speed you are dialing in, the aircraft will climb to match the speed first... IAS basically just adjusts pitch to achieve the speed you are asking for. if you are trying to reduce speed, you have to adjust it in very small increments , and also make sure your power is very low or at idle.

cheers

-andy crosby

Alan,

I have seen the anomoly with the fuel imbalance when loading with the control panel, this is on the bug list, but is not easy to replicate, but it will be addressed.

If possible could you run the flight again to verify if you experience the same issuethe moment that you notice an oddity, please save the situaltion and send the files to our support email (accessible via our website)...be sure to give a detailed explanation when sending the email.

Thanks

Crosswind, thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, I'm at the beginning of a 10-day trip and will not be able to fly until I return.  But, will do as you suggest as soon as I can.  One more question: I tried reloading the fuel from the control panel to no effect, so is there ANY way to quickly set the fuel level properly?

for the second one, it sounds like you were going faster than 230 knots.. if your speed is above the speed you are dialing in, the aircraft will climb to match the speed first... IAS basically just adjusts pitch to achieve the speed you are asking for. if you are trying to reduce speed, you have to adjust it in very small increments , and also make sure your power is very low or at idle.

cheers

-andy crosby

Andy, thanks for the reply.  Upon a little reflection your explanation seems correct.  Appreciate the help.

Alan

Alan,

The few times that I did notice the fuel imbalance, I was able to have it load correctly by simply re-sending the data, but from the sound of it this is not working for you.  I could also suggest re-sending a few times to see if it will eventually take.  I will start having a closer look at this to see if I can reproduce conditions that will trigger this.

Thanks

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

I will start having a closer look at this to see if I can reproduce conditions that will trigger this.

Crosswind, thanks again...very much appreciated.

Alan

Back from vacation, and have flown the Q400 two more times.  Neither time did the fuel problem rear its ugly head.  Crosswind, I wish you luck finding this elusive bug.

Alan