Sign in to follow this  
AlanEL

PMDG B747-400 GPS

Hi Everybody:

I am new to this but here goes. How do you disable GPS in the 744?

Thanks

Alan Lansitie

Hi Everybody:

I am new to this but here goes. How do you disable GPS in the 744?

Thanks

Alan Lansitie

I think you will find that the PMDG 747-490 does not have a GPS navigation system. None of their FSX aircraft do. They use real-world LNAV. You would not by any chance be referring to the default 747-400 would you?

One does not simply buy PMDG planes without reading manuals.

1y329d.jpg

You don't need to see the GPS.

This isn't the feature you're looking for.

You can go about your business.

Move along.

:)

That is not entirely accurate, while there's no dedicated GPS display like on GA planes, the FMS uses the on board  GPS (If GPS equipped) as it's primary Navigation Source, unless it deems it insufficient based on the FMS navigation precision parameters.. If no GPS or no VOR/DME information is available the FMS will monitor position from the IRS' only.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

OK Thanks Guys: I  read the manuals but there is so much. The problem is I don't get a deflection on my lubber line in the HSI. Any Ideas?

Thanks for your help

Alan Lansitie

Use Map mode? Stick the ILS mode on the Right side Nav display on ILS (and use the map mode to intercept anyway cos you get ILS indications on the PFD.)

The FMS automatically tunes ILS and course when within about 15 miles of the airport if you are using an ILS.

If you are not using the ILS then the ILS mode Nav display will show "off" (as it is not recieving a radio signal from the ILS).

Map mode and an actual route in the FMS is how you want to fly all of your takeoff cruise and descent.

That is not entirely accurate, while there's no dedicated GPS display like on GA planes, the FMS uses the on board  GPS (If GPS equipped) as it's primary Navigation Source, unless it deems it insufficient based on the FMS navigation precision parameters.. If no GPS or no VOR/DME information is available the FMS will monitor position from the IRS' only.

Seems pretty accurate and straightforward but why does the aircraft use a government entity to monitor the positon?  Ooooh, I asked a dumb question, YES the IRS DOES track everyone and everything!  <---In case you didn't realize, this is a joke.  Were you thinking IRIS instead?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Seems pretty accurate and straightforward but why does the aircraft use a government entity to monitor the positon?  Ooooh, I asked a dumb question, YES the IRS DOES track everyone and everything!  <---In case you didn't realize, this is a joke.  Were you thinking IRIS instead?

Nope, I meant IRS - Inertial Reference System. Actually though on the 744 they are known as IRU's - Inertial Reference Units.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d