Sign in to follow this  
Guest Douglas K

Modifying Aircraft Sound.cfg...

Guest ederoche

For MSFS2004, for Jets like B737, B767 etc, I would like to add a second "wind_sound" that plays at airspeeds between 100 and 250 kts. What I want is that deep rumbling sound heard from the cabin on approach when flaps are extended. I have a WAV file ready, but I don't know how to modify the SOUND.CFG file to play it. I have tried adding a second wind_sound with a link, but it does not play.Does anyone know how this can be done?Thanks, Eric

Guest Charlie Hall

If you can email me charliehall@ntlworld.com with your correctly named file (must be around 1.5 megs or less or I might not receive it) I'll run FS Sound Studio with the default B737 and see if I can add your file to it. Then I'll let you know the additional settings if it works. Note that I don't think it will be possible to stop the sound playing at those specified speeds if flaps are not selected, assuming it can be made to play at only those speeds in the first place.

Guest Charlie Hall

For the benefit of anyone interested, I have found that it is not possible to add further wind sounds to the existing one, nor is it possible to edit the only one available to react in the required way for a certain speed range, it is only possible to increase the volume and change the pitch of sound with increasing airspeed. Perhaps it might be possible to do it with a suitable gauge that plays sound at a specified range of airspeeds? I don't know of any existing gauge that could do this however.

Guest Erick_Cantu

Here's the wind sound code I use:(Replace <> with brackets)filename=(filename of the wind sound you intend to use)minimum_volume=5maximum_volume=20000minimum_rate=0.5maximum_rate=3.0minimum_speed=20maximum_speed=1000Note that MSFS' wind sound requires you to set the upper end of the evnvelope at around twice or more the speed at which you want everything to max out. The 'maximum_speed' of 1000 will have the rate and volume peak at around 400 knots or so.All you must do is overwrite the current wind sound section in the sound.cfg with this, replace the <> with brackets, change the filename to the filename of the sound you are using, and that's it. Sound.cfg can be opened in notepad.

Guest ederoche

This, I am already familiar with, but what I am trying to do is add another wind_sound parameter in addition to the default, but I have found, it may not be possible to have more than one.Thanks for your input.

Guest Douglas K

Hey Erick,According to the good folks at MS Game Studios the sound volume will max out at 10000 (100dB):

Guest Erick_Cantu

I dunno why, but when I set it to 10000 or lower the volume just becomes nonexistant. The difference between 10000 and 20000 is audible in that 10000 is nearly silent. Could be a case of 'SDK does this, software does that' like with the max speed parameters where the actual max speed is half of what you set it.

Guest Douglas K

>>>>I dunno why, but when I set it to 10000 or lower the volume just becomes nonexistant.<<<

Guest Charlie Hall

Douglas, Probably the best way to make a sound louder is to increase the level of the wav file itself. I believe this can be done with Windows sound recorder but make sure you don't have it too loud or the signal will be overloaded. There is a visual indication of the signal level in the sound recorder program. There is also an option for setting the standard and amount of compression before saving a file. However, some compressed files lower than 16 bit don't come out too well if modified so make a backup first of any files you are thinking of changing.