Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

FSAutoStart and RadLinker

Hi Ken (or anyone else?),I am trying to configure FSAutoStart to point to a RadLink file created for the FS9 executable in the hope I can automate the business of setting up my preferred AA and AF settings for FS before starting the sim. So far I haven't had any success.If I click on the FS9 Radlink file my AA and AF settings are executed normally and FS starts fine. On exiting the sim the default Radeon graphic driver filter settings are restored by RadLink.I have tried creating a RadLink for the FSAutoStart shortcut on my desktop and clicking this Radlink establishes my AA and AF settings. However, on starting FSAutoStart after profile selection the graphic settings immediately revert to their defaults shortly after the program and service termination routine starts.I have tried 'auto launching before the main application' the Radlink file (FS9) but FSAutoStart sees this file as FS9.Radlink. Editing the command line doesn't work either as FSAutoStart assumes that FS9 is in fact the main executable FS9.exe.Hope you are following this :)I have tried modifying the 'path to app:' as follows:D:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9fs9 /CFG:fs9_LOD11.cfg...but that doesn't work either and again I am assuming it is expecting an executable and so bypasses the Radlink file in favour of FS9.exe.Any ideas? Thanks and best regards,MikeP4 2.4GHz (400FSB), 1Gig PC2100 DDR Crucial, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (Omega 2.5.90), SB Audigy (5.12.0001.0443), Hyundai ImageQuest Q17 17" TFT LCD 20ms Monitor (1280x1024x32), Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBo, Ultra-Quiet PSU 400W, WinXP Home (SP2), DirectX 9.0c, AGP Aperture = 128MB

Guest SoarPics

Hi Mike,Do you have "ATI Hotkey Poller" and/or "ATI Smart" disabled in your XP Services? One or both of those might need to be running in order to handshake FSAutoStart and Radlinker together.Cheers,Greg

Hi Greg,Do you have "ATI Hotkey Poller" and/or "ATI Smart" disabled in your XP Services?.....yes I did!I enabled 'ATI Smart' and attempted to start it. It did so, but only briefly before stopping and, as it did so, reported that this behaviour had occurred because there were no other associated services running. I then disabled it again.'ATI Hotkey Poller' may be the key here. I enabled it successfully and then created a fresh RadLink to the FSAutoStart main executable which was automatically placed on the desktop. AA and AF were set up as before and the mode changes applied.I cannot explain what follows but here is what I noted:1. Starting FSAutoStart by clicking the RadLink file switches the display settings (screen blanks momentarily) and the FSAutoStart GUI window opens. Closing down FSAutoStart restores the display settings (again the screen blanks momentarily).2. I start FSAutoStart as in 1.Screen blanks momentarily indicating that the RadLink settings have been applied. A profile is selected and I tell FSAutoStart to 'Start'. The screen blanks again (why?), only this time it blanks twice as it starts to stop Programs and Services. FS runs and it is clear that I do have AAx6 and AFx16 (my preferred settings) and the subsequent screen blankings after clicking the 'Start' button were NOT indicitave of the display settings being returned to their defaults.When I exit the sim and FSAutoStart has restarted Programs and Services I exit FSAutoStart by pressing any key in the usual fashion but there is no screen blanking suggesting that the display settings have not been restored.So, it would appear that your helpful suggestion has produced a partial solution (thank you!) and, for that, I am very grateful :). However, I remain puzzled as to why RadLinker appears to be no longer in the loop (as evidenced by the failure of restoration of the display settings to their defaults) when I exit FSAutoStart.Any further thoughts?Cheers!Mike

Hi Ryan,Thanks for the suggestion. I have toyed with doing that but haven't done so as yet. Rightly or wrongly my belief is that the majority of posters on those forums are unlikely to be FS9 aficionados and probably haven't heard of Ken's FSAutoStart. Still, no harm in trying, I suppose.Meantime, I would welcome any further input from here. There must be a few of you Radeon owners who have attempted, and hopefully succeeded in doing, what I am trying to do.Cheers!Mike

Guest SoarPics

"I have tried creating a RadLink for the FSAutoStart shortcut on my desktop and clicking this Radlink establishes my AA and AF settings. However, on starting FSAutoStart after profile selection the graphic settings immediately revert to their defaults shortly after the program and service termination routine starts."Mike, I wish to clarify what's happening here. What exactly are the drivers defaulting to when this happens?Keep in mind that the 2.5.90's shown in your sig have a glitch that won't allow them to run any level of AF other than Performance mode (which is why I reverted back to the 2.5.76's... you know how I like running Forced AF).Thanks for the additional info,Greg

Hi Greg,"What exactly are the drivers defaulting to when this happens?"..... when I click on 'Start' in FSAutoStart the screen blanks twice. On running FS I find no evidence of AA so I am assuming that the driver settings have been reset to 'Application Preference' for AA and, I presume, also for AF. I must say I'm surprised about your comments concerning AF. I have selected AF (16xForced) and, as far as I can tell, when implemented in the driver the image in FS is as good as ever it has been in the past. Perhaps it is defaulting to 16xPerformance without my realizing.Cheers!MikeP.S. You might be interested in my further post on this matter. I have started a new thread entitled "FSAutoStart and RadLinker - A Solution!"

Guest SoarPics

Hi Mike,"Perhaps it is defaulting to 16xPerformance without my realizing."Where I saw it was with the Omega desktop settings. When I set anything other than "Performance" for the AF, clicked apply, went back to desktop, and then went back into the tweaker AF was again set to "Performance". Omega has acknowledged that this is indeed happening and it will be addressed in the next version of his drivers.I read your other post about using Notepad to make FSAutoStart and Radlinker play well together. I now have some time to play with this (didn't yesterday) and will see what I get.Cheers,Greg

The problem I am having with the 2590s is that RadLinker keeps setting the overclock back to default on startup. I have not seen the forced AF though must check it next time.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest SoarPics

Mike... I tried a number of variations of this using your posts here as a guide. On my system the ATI Hotkey Poller sevice was the key. Without it being enabled in both the Services section and FSAutoStart the registry tweaks I set in Radlinker would NOT take affect. If I set it to "Automatic" in Services AND made sure that FSAutoStart left it alone then all was well and my settings were in effect in the sim. The easiest scheme I used was from your post #2 here.Shez... I'm sure you tried this, but on Radlinker's "Overclock" page you need to first check "Enable Clock Rate Change", then Set the sliders to the rates you wish, followed by "Use Current" in the Boot BIOS Defaults box, and finlly click on "Set".Cheers,Greg

Greg,Yes I did as usual but for me it is not working. Maybe in the next build. Confirm this is working for you? It appears for me the boot up settings at the bottom of that RadLinker window are not working.CheersShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest SoarPics

Shez, are you using a 9600 series card? I recall reading some time ago somewhere that they often have a problem overclocking in Radlinker. I'll try to find the link to the info (though it's been some time ago that I read it :( ).Another solution is to create a new video BIOS (using the existing BIOS) that will default to your prefered clock rates at system boot. The tweaked BIOS is easily flashable. I always do this after finding the clock rate I can safely run. (I'm using a custom BIOS on my X800 Pro VIVO > XT PE. It sets the PE clock rates and removes the VIVO function so I don't have to load the WDM drivers when installing new drivers.)Regards,Greg

In fact I am running a 9600 card so that may be the problem. However, this has never happened before with any driver.I would appreciate advise on the Video BIOS creation.ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Hi Greg,Hope you don't mind but I have taken the liberty of posting a response as part of my other thread on this subject - partly to keep things tidy and partly to keep the other thread alive for just a little longer ;)Mike