Sign in to follow this  
Guest IanGrant

In search of freeware, light, VFR aircraft.

Guest venquessa

OK been flying the Aero for a while now. It's fast, light, well powered and easy to fly. It also has a nice VC and period instruments.Not sure if this is a "reality" thing, but it has that damn pitch see-saw that the default planes have, where the control response curves are all snappy. You pull up gently on approach flare, and not much happens, you increase the pull and it suddenly gets very responsive and pitches up almost violently, continue to hold the stick in that position and the nose bobs back down. Pulling back sharply on the stick at any speed results in the nose bouncing up and then falling back down again. I believe it's only the default aircraft I have seen this in, with a few exceptions where the air file was copied from a default template. Is it meant to be that way? The real air cessna doesn't do this, nor any of the larger payware craft i've tried.The only other thing that bothers me is that above 30 or 40 knots on take off and landing roll I can't steer at all. Full rudder deflection does virtually nothing. I've been off the runway twice already tonight as a result.But happier with the panel and nav equipment, although tonight I was flying VFR only, even in Irish weather, I know when I see the high ground, what high ground it is and where the airport is relative to it.

Try out My Beech 18 Volpar trigear (Volpar.zip here at avsim, also don't forget the patch as well) 2 round engines, 160 kt cruise, dual com and nav, adf (RMI), DME, virtual cockpit. I can get her out of 2000 footer's easy.Brian

Guest dljolly

Last year I flew VFR in FS2004 from Colorado Springs to Melbourne FL. The aircraft was a Carenado Cessna 152. Real world weather. I hauled out my sectionals and plotted a VOR to VOR route. Had a few restricted areas and TRAs to get around as well as some Class C/D airspaces too. It took about 10 legs and about 20 hours, 4 days, mainly using visual landmarks (roads, towers, power lines, hills, rivers etc) to measure my progress as I proceeded along. I had a ball! FS9 really has it down (for the most part) and keeping track of progress was a matter of comparing the scenery out the sim "window" to the real sectional...they got it right...did their homework!No ADF (woulda been handy at times), no autopilot, single nav/comm, no GPS...and slower than dirt. That's the fun we occasionally need as we tire of the heavy metal...try it sometime. Day, very basic, VFR...real flying. The flight dynamics were reasonable, if slightly overpowered, but having to basically tend to altitude and heading the whole time was a good workout.Good luckDave (00V)

Guest JimC1702

Hey Fred, I just downloaded your Aztec and took her out for a spin. She's a really sweet flyer. Thanks a lot!Jim

Guest wildfire563

DME?Well, my airplane has a Loran that one of the other owners told me he uses as a DME, but I've haven't learned how to use it as of yet. Otherwise, no DME, and it's a good little IFR plane (1973 Cherokee 180). The plane has dual VOR so to figure out where I am (when I'm not using my handheld GPS, ha ha :-) or it has run out of batteries (not so ha ha)(hence why I like to practice alternate navigating methods)) I'll cross reference off of two VOR's.I also am happy navigating by ADF. As long as you understand its deficiencies, it works great.Thomas Perry

Guest macman4

Brian, man I love that plane. I'm just a weekend flier, but the Volpar is all that I've been flying. One ? what is the patch that you mention? Great aircraft, Bob McDuff

Guest dswo

Except for not having two engines, the Mooney Bravo in FS9 and FS8 Professional will do all of what you want, and it has big windows for sightseeing. I've modified the panel slightly so that it fits the instrumentation specs that you mention. Download here if you're interested: http://www.fskb.net/attach?page=MSFSMooney...neyPanelFix.zip

Guest Rockcliffe

Great to see the Aztec back for FS9 Fred. It was always one of my favourites in FS2002. It just "feels" good to fly it.RegardsBlairCYOW

Guest IanGrant

Perhaps you might like the Maule M7-260 that Mikko, myself and company created. Its not multi-engine, but it hums along pretty quick, has nice avionics, but no autopilot. Mikko did a great job on the VC, and she flies nice too. And on the bright side of things, you can get it into any small paved or grass strip, parking lot, drive way or local playground ;) Just a thought.