Sign in to follow this  
Guest jrewing

Cross-Country

Just a question for when I get my PPL... when it comes time for my first solo(s), will I have a specific route assigned to me, or will I pick my route? #2: I heard that my second solo will have to be a cross-country, and not being sure of this, I meant to ask wether that means a Calif. to NY type of thing or if it could be a FL to NY type of thing?

Your first solo will be restricted to the traffic pattern, next few the instructor will let you venture across town a bit, maybe to your regular practice area or to another airport you are both familiar with.Your first CC solo will be on a route that you have flown with your instructor prior.

your cross country's have to have 3 full stop landings and 1 leg of the flight must be over 50 miles long.chris

>Calif. to NY type of thing or if it could be a FL to NY type of thing?Boy oh boy, that would sure cost a lot of $$$! :-lol Jason :-wave

Here's exactly what the FAA requires:Total Time: 40 hours (14 CFR 61.109(A)i-iii) Dual: 20 hours of flight training 3 hours of X-C flight training 3 hours of night flight training 1 X-C flight of over 100 nm total distance 10 T/O

Guest jrewing

Hmm ... tried posting a response, but it didn't take. I'll try again.Check out 14 CFR 61, which lists the training you're required to have before you can be endorsed for a cross-country solo and your instructor's responsibilities before they endorse you for the flight.BTW, your instructor is not required to have flown with you to a particular airport before endorsing your to fly there CROSS-COUNTRY on your own. Remember that cross-country is defined as any flight where the straight line distance between at least two of the airports is greater than 50nm.Your instructor will probably endorse you for repeated flights to other airports within 25nm of your home airport so you can practice takeoffs and landings. In this case, your instructor is required to have flown with you to and from the airport, given you instruction on the route and on how to enter and exit the traffic pattern. Since these airports are within 25nm, they are not considered cross-country flights.Tell your instructor about your concerns and ask questions. He or she should be able to clarify your particular situation.John