Sign in to follow this  
Guest Leonardo

Looking for GA aircraft for AI only use (GA Traffic etc...

Just completed a fresh install of FS9.1, scenery, VFR Photographic Scenery, VFR Mesh etc and finally installed the wonderful GA-Traffic program to bring my virtual flying world to life.I made the mistake on my previous install of using loads of "non AI" textured aircraft as AI and it really slowed my system down (even after reducing the texture size in GA Traffic). It isn't possible to set a percentage for GA Traffic so you are left with nothing or 100% AI:(Can anyone give me some suggestions or URL's for purpose built AI light aircraft (or normal GA aircraft which can easily be reduced in texture size?). I have an excellent AI Cirrus downloaded from AVSIM and have made a couple of "AI" aircraft models myself but would love to find some more to add variety to my airfield activity.ThanksAdamAdam Moore8nm EAST EGLLJAR PPL/IMC (A)

Guest danowat

Adam,Search the library for ,Henry Tomkiewicz, and Dee Waldron.They have done some great small and GA AI aircraft.Dan.

Hi Adam,Dan is right to suggest looking for the splendid freeware by Dee and Henry. (Lots of good repaints available.) We all owe a tip of our collective caps to these guys.For a few odd, but excellent, additions, see "Mike Cronin" and "Hrvoje Kovacevic" as well.If you're looking for the standard GA singles that populate small airports, then you might look at AIFD's Cessna and Piper packages. These are payware (5.95 EUR each package). They are well done (with plenty of LODs) and have the neat feature that the pilot "disappears" when the aircraft is parked. See: http://www.compudex.co.za/aiflightdesign/or it may be easier to go to the purchase pages at SimMarket:http://secure.simmarket.com/product_info.p...1c4cc4aad6f13abhttp://secure.simmarket.com/product_info.p...1c4cc4aad6f13abNote, too, that the standard MSFS Cessna 172 and 182 and Piper work well as AI. (You can add some more repaints if you want more variety.)Hope you enjoy the AI.Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Hi MikeThanks very much for the info and links.I did experiment with optimizing the default GA in FS in GA TRaffic but I couldnt get the 182/Piper/others below 1MB overall texture size so decided not to use them. At the moment I am using an AI Cirrus, AI versions of my RealAir 172 and SF-260 and managed to make some excellent small size AI of my Carenado Archer and Bonanza. I'll follow your info and links tonight to try and add some more variety!CheersAdamAdam Moore8 NM E EGLLJAR PPL/IMC (A)

Guest Dakota

Go here:http://81.208.92.5/0_Dee/fs_projects/index.htmlI used the ones here along with the ones I purchased at simmarket for minimal price. I now have skies and airports filled with GA traffic and minimal performance hit on my lowly 2.5 GIG computer. I am very happy with the results

>At the moment I am using an AI Cirrus, AI versions of my>RealAir 172 and SF-260 and managed to make some excellent>small size AI of my Carenado Archer and Bonanza. Hi, Adam. I would be MUCH less concerned with texture size than with poly count. Some of the aircraft you mention will have huge poly counts compared to the default aircraft, and they will lack the LOD of those planes (which reduces the number of poly's at a distance). Unless you have a 32MB video card, the poly count is what is going to bring down your frame rate when viewing an airport with AI. The texture size helps, of course, but I would suspect that something like the SF.260 has an order of magnitude more polys than the defaults, because of the level of detail that goes into these quality payware planes. The RealAir Scout, for example, has over 30,000 polys compared to the Cessna 172 at around 7,000.Take a look at this post I made a while ago:http://tinyurl.com/685fgI would ammend that post to include several excellent GA-optimized planes in the library by Mike Cronin. These are great, and I sure do appreciate anyone who puts the time and effort into GA-traffic when there is so many choices for commercial alrliners.If you want the best framerate possible around GA traffic, then stick with the relatively low-poly defaults (avoid the historical planes), and use only add-on planes with a low poly count and LOD.A couple of other people mentioned the payware option as well, if you want to save yourself some time.

JimmyExcellent link and post. Surprised I couldn't find it earlier (I promise I did a search first!)Will read in more detail from comfort of PC/studio tonight. Sounds from your "AI" post as though we have similar preferences with regard to our simulated flying:)As soon as I can work out why my GA-Traffic AI have disappeared from my UK2000 airfields (!?!) I will work on downloading the aircraft models you recommend.Many thanksAdamAdam MooreJAR PPL/IMC(A)Win XP Pro - Dell Dimension 4500P4 2.54 GHz - 1GB RAMHiTech Radeon 128MB 9800Pro IceQ19" CRT 1600x1200 @ 100hzAudiophile 24/96FS2004 + UK2000 1/2/3/4/5/6/EGLL PROUK VFR Photographic Scenery 1/2/3/4UK VFR Terrain MeshUltimate VFR : RealAir SF-260Ultimate IFR : PMDG 737Ultimate FUN : RealAir Scout

Guest Leonardo

Very interesting post, especially because it points to GA-AI aircraft that I never saw before.My rule of thumb for adding AI aircraft is:- low poly count- low texture size (3Mb max)There are many aircraft in the library that respect those rules. However I must say that the greatest addon about GA-AI traffic is Brunner's excellent software, chapeau.