Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

Question about Ezdok and Track Ir sensitivity

Guest Mik75

Hi there!

Ever since I got my new rig (i5 3570K, 16 GB CL9 RAM, GTX 670 2GB, 480 GB SSD for everything), I had Opus FSX installed and used its camera system. Track Ir works really good with it, in the NGX, I can look to the aft overhead, the complete pedestal, etc. without any problems, making crazy moves with my head or getting out of the camera range of Track Ir.

A few days ago, I purchased FSGRW. Some features of it caught my attention. And it is a really good weather engine, the local weather effects are awesome! Yesterday, I took a flight from LPPT to LPMA, and the approach into Madeira´s RWY 05 was really demanding and some serious fun! Also, the upper winds are perfect! Not a single windshift on my MD11 flight from EDDK to LPPT 2 days ago. (but that´s a different topic :lol: )

To have the turbulence and DHM effects in FSX, I installed Ezdok for the first time on my new machine. Everything worked flawlessly and I directly downloaded and installed the Ezdok profile for the NGX by AOA.

But with the same settings within Track Ir 4, the sensitivity of Track Ir has completely changed. When looking left and right, it´s still fast and smooth. But looking up and down is causing some problems. Even when I move my head fully up, to the borders of Track Ir´s camera field, I can´t reach the aft overhead panel. (IRS switches etc.). And looking down to set the squawk code isn´t possible at all without moving my viewpoint down by using the hat switch on my yoke at the same time.

That´s not too nice... I tried different smoothness settings for Track Ir in Ezdok and in the Track Ir 4 software itself, I even tried it with Track Ir 5 software, but still I can't achieve the same range of possible views as I had in Opus.

Maybe I missed something in the settings, any input is highly appreciated!

One more thing: To have the correct zoom settings for the AOA Ezdok profile, I had to change the Wideviewaspect entry in the FSX.cfg to "True" for the first time since I am using FSX!

Is it possible, that this entry leads to a slightly worse performance of the whole sim? Since one has a wider field of view with this setting, I find it quite logical, that the sim has to calculate more scenery data and therefore has a higher workload. Is this correct?

Thanks again! 

Not familiar with this camera manager but it appears you may need to do a couple of things to TrackIR - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhofJbEcmFM (appears to have an update involved version 1.16.0)

If that does not work you can try adjusting the profile in TrackIR.  For example, I have one I call 'Fast Vertical' that, as the name says, moves very quickly in the vertical axis with minimal head movement - mimics what you would otherwise do only with your eyes (not your head) if you were to glance up or down.  Very handy for instrument flying.

So - pending resolution of the TrackIR issue I would be interested in your opinion - is it worth the $35 USD?

Guest Mik75

Not familiar with this camera manager but it appears you may need to do a couple of things to TrackIR - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhofJbEcmFM (appears to have an update involved version 1.16.0)

If that does not work you can try adjusting the profile in TrackIR. For example, I have one I call 'Fast Vertical' that, as the name says, moves very quickly in the vertical axis with minimal head movement - mimics what you would otherwise do only with your eyes (not your head) if you were to glance up or down. Very handy for instrument flying.

So - pending resolution of the TrackIR issue I would be interested in your opinion - is it worth the $35 USD?

Hi!

Thanks for the answer! I am running the newest version of Ezdok, which is v1.17.

I did setup everything as in the video, but somehow the sensitivity of the vertical axis is not too high. I'll try to experiment with the settings in the Track Ir software. Using the hat switch of the joystick for reaching the upper and lower parts of the cockpit seems to be a quite handy workaround. I have to get used to it, Opus together with Track Ir was simply more responsive...

Other than that, I can highly recommend that software! The smooth DHM and turbulence effects are top notch! And the view system of Ezdok is phenomenal! Once you got used to it, it's very simply and fast to set up the camera profile for a new plane. The floating camera is fantastic too!

There is a superb video of froogle pete (on his frooglesim channel) on YouTube about setting up Ezdok and creating cameras. It should make your decision easier! ;-)

Thanks.  I'll check out the video.

Let us know if you are successful in resolving your issue.