Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikealpha

Project Tupolev Tu-154 Review

Guest mikealpha

First of all a big thanks to Daniel for writing and to AVSIM to publish this very well done review.Only one thing I was scratching my head about. It's directed to the award "deciders" :The plane offers custom Joystick routines to simulate the hydraulic feel and other plane specific features (e.g. nosewheel steering, reverse thrust) . It offers a custom elevator trim routine. As if that is not innovative enough (also compared to some payware), there is :- a completely custom Autopilot- an authentic Russian orthodromic navigation system down to system checks- a voice set with more than 50 crew calls- complete with Loadeditor, Fuelmanager, Navigation calculator- system simulation to a degree that really makes sense in FS- a level of small details that is next to unbelievableOK, there is no VC yet, but who would want to operate such a complex plane in a VC ?Not that I care that much about awards, but just for interest, what the heck must a freeware team do to get a Gold Award ? Michael

Guest Aidi

Hi,When a review is submitted, there is a critera we use to decide on how to award a product.In this particular instance it was given a silver award as that is the critera it met.For any product to receive either a 5 Star or Gold Freeware award, the product must have advances in fs technology that breaks new ground, and is a first in the field of flight simulation. If you look back through the many reviews that have been coverd over many years, there are only a handful that have received either 5 stars or Gold Award, and even fewer that have been recognized by the Award of Excellence.All the things you have listed in your post, have been seen in other products already released in some form or another. The Silver Award is a very high award, and is rightly deserved by the TU 154. The Freeware award critera is currently being updated, but to give you a guide on how we rate the products being reviewed, here is the link for commercial products:http://www.avsim.com/pages/commercial_rating_system.htmlI hope this casts some light to your query.RgdsAidihttp://www.avsim.com/pages/0100/avsim_sig.jpg

Guest mikealpha

Aidi,thanks a lot for the explanation. >> All the things you have listed in your post, have been seen in other products already released in some form or another- custom Joystick routines to simulate the hydraulic feel - custom elevator trim routine.I consider the result of this features so enjoyable, so if you don't mind if I ask, in which other products have you seen this already ?Michael

Guest jbastos123

I completely agree with Michael, in my humble opinion, this is the best aircraft for FS2004, period (including all payware that I own, and I

Guest mikealpha

Aidi,thanks for the info.To sum it up, I am really amazed. If a Freeware package with this complexity, completeness and at least for jet aircraft innovative features, still does not reach a GOLD award, then you have EXTREMELY tough measures. I wonder if any freeware team might ever make it then :).Anyway, we are not at the Olympic Games here, so the metal of a medal does not mean much, at least for me ;). So thanks again to Daniel and AVSIM for making such reviews possible. And this gorgeous simulation more popular.Michael