Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Best small plane?

klamal, on 19 Jun 2013 - 8:34 PM, said:

I still don't want straight GA. I want some "airline" structure to it yet as I like having that structure to where I am going to fly to next rather than just getting in and not knowing where to go.

The Carenado C208 sounds like an obvious choice and it's a plane that's featured in the series (great series BTW). The default FSX one isn't too bad either, so check that out first to get a feel for the plane and its capabilities. If you do get the Carenado model, make sure you get all the "optional" patches as this fixes and improves the flight dynamics significantly.

When you're ready for "off airport" operations, check out Carenado's C185 to stay true to the series. There's a repaint available to make it look just like Jim Tweto's C180 B)

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1600-carenado-c185f-bush-tundra/

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

As has previously been mentioned the forthcoming Aerosoft Twin Otter X looks like it might fit your requirements. I see from their facebook page that Carenado's next offering will be a Beech 1900D - that might be with waiting for.

I have myself also started watching Flying Wild Alaska, but I had been flying small planes around PNW already before that. Mostly related to performance issues with big plans at big airports; problems I simply don't have when flying Cessna's around (most of) OrbX PNW.

As for planes, here's a list of planes I very much enjoy:

1) RealAir Scout: My top-favorite small plane for exploring. Won't be much good when trying to simulate Era flights, but it's a great little thing for "private" flights.

2) Carenado C208B: In all honesty, I fly this plane because it's such a good-looking, highly useful plane. It can go anywhere and everywhere. I usually use it for my FedEx Feeder flights. Fact is though that I find the FDE very finicky, which makes it a pain to control on some approaches. Anybody know of good third-party FDEs? Or is this really the way the plane handles?

3) Sibwings BirdDog: I love this plane. It's similar to the RealAir Scout, but it feels much more clunky and old due to the WW2 military style liveries. I only list it third because I fly the C208B more often, but in enjoyment I'd list it square next to the RealAir Scout.

4) Carenado C210: Beautiful and also highly sueful plane. Smaller than the C208B, for less "packed" flights and "vacation flying with friends", or something along those lines. I do not like its very touchy handling though; the same complaints I have on the C208B handling apply to the C210.

5) Flight1/Virtavia BN2 Islander. This plane handles beautifully, has amazing sounds and looks great. It's the biggest "small plane" I fly around the PNW, most often between Skagit/Anacortes/Jefferson County Intl. Its problem is that its very slow, so that whenever I need to fly far with a bigger "small plane", I take the C208B.

6) A2A Piper Cub: Stunning little plane and lots of fun! Its problem is that it is also very slow. I usually take the RealAir Scout instead, because its faster, but the Cub definitely makes you feel like you are actually piloting the plane, and aren't just a kind of virtual passenger. But yeah, it's slow...

In the future there are some other planes I would really like to have. The Sibwings AN-2 is top priority here; would love to fly this plane in my sim! The other some others, like the Milviz 310, and the future Carenado B1900D for instance.

Hope this helps.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

2) Carenado C208B: In all honesty, I fly this plane because it's such a good-looking, highly useful plane. It can go anywhere and everywhere. I usually use it for my FedEx Feeder flights. Fact is though that I find the FDE very finicky, which makes it a pain to control on some approaches. Anybody know of good third-party FDEs? Or is this really the way the plane handles?

Did you get the update called "Optional Patch" for the C208 from the Update section at Carenado? It should just be a zip file with a new .air and aircraft.cfg file.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

If you can wait a couple of weeks there will be only one which is a must have ...

The A2A Simulations Accu-sim Cessna 172 ... this will be the NGX of the GA world.

If its like like the other A2A Accu-sim offerings it will be outstanding.

A2A for me have the edge over everyone else as their aircraft act like real aircraft and are not 100% reliable ... things brake and ware out, it can and will catch you out if you dont do things right.

There are a number of King Airs and Caravans (and others) that pop up on Flight Aware, so you can fly RW routes.

If it fit your bill (which it doesn't), I'd recommend the Milviz B55. But the Carenado C208 would be high on the list as well.

Mike

I also recommend the Carenado 208 with the FDE update and the RXP GPS.

I know Era also flies the 1900. You could port over the PMDG 1900 and put the RXP in it. Though this is PMDGs oldest bird.

I also recommend the Carenado 208 with the FDE update and the RXP GPS. I know Era also flies the 1900. You could port over the PMDG 1900 and put the RXP in it. Though this is PMDGs oldest bird.

Yeah, like I said, I like the 1900 but I don't have it for FS9 either nor do I have an FS9 install anywhere either.  I still assume I'd be able to get it into FSX though but maybe not?  Does the installer depend on FS9 being there or some registry entries made referencing FS9?  Or the existence of FS9.exe?  I think all the import docs I've seen talk about an import from FS9 and not a straight FSX install.

At the moment, I think I'm leaning to the Carenado 208 either way but still trying to decide.

How is the experience with these "smaller" planes when you have no rudder pedals?  I plan on getting rudder pedals some time in the near future.  Maybe I should do that first as I imagine flying the 208 won't be quite the same experience without, right?  Or would it still be enjoyable/flyable without?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Going back to an FS9 plane is going to be disappointing - I would advise against it.

The PMDG B1900 for FS9 was one of my favorites, but now we've got FSX and a different

set of expectations.

If you really want a Beech.. get the Carenado B200.

Bert

Do you have a joystick with a twistable base? That could work 'til you get rudder pedals.

I'm not sure about porting the 1900 without FS9. I have fs9 so that was never an issue for me. But ultimately I'll have to agree with Bert. It's a pretty dated bird.

Do you have a joystick with a twistable base? That could work 'til you get rudder pedals. I'm not sure about porting the 1900 without FS9. I have fs9 so that was never an issue for me. But ultimately I'll have to agree with Bert. It's a pretty dated bird.

Yeah, I do have a joystick with twistable base.  I have Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant and currently use the joystick for the rudder pedals.  But, flying the NGX, you can get away with not having the best rudder control or at least it's not essential to fully enjoy the NGX.  I also have the Majestic Q400 and manage to get by with this set up with it though take offs aren't the prettiest thing.  :)  The Carenado 208 would maybe be the same experience as the Q400?  I know the Q400 pulls to the left quite a bit due to no counter-rotating props.  Would the Carenado be about the same?  If so, I can live with that for now until I get the rudder pedals.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I love flying the Carenado CT182T SKYLANE G1000 because of the fully glass cockpit.

I think a rudder is a little more essential when flying GA, especially on those crosswind landings. Maybe you should just use your joystick + throttle for the time being, when doing GA. Unless you have three arms and can use the yoke, twist the joystick, and adjust the throttles all at the same time, haha.