Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Best small plane?

Hello.

Recently I've been watching the Flying Wild Alaska episodes on Netflix and it has, for the first time ever in my flight simming career, got me thinking about flying a small plane of some sort.  So, I'm curious as to what are some of the best aircraft in this category?  I still don't want straight GA.  I want some "airline" structure to it yet as I like having that structure to where I am going to fly to next rather than just getting in and not knowing where to go.  I'd probably be starting with flying the Era Alaska routes seen in this series.  Out of their fleet(http://www.flyera.com/about/fleet), what are some of the best payware aircraft out there for FSX?

I'm coming from the NGX so I'm looking for something that can get as close to quality as that.  I realize that in these smaller planes, the level of automation/FMS/Autopilot functions/VNAV/LNAV etc, etc. stuff most likely won't be there or be very basic, but I mean the quality of the representation of that aircraft in the sim.  I'd like whatever model to replicate as close to possible all characteristics(flight dynamics, systems, etc) of the aircraft in real life similar to the level we have come to expect with the NGX.

I have started some searching and have found the Carenado(just looked at the 208B HD) stuff and the PMDG 1900(probably would go with the C since from what I have read so far, that one seems to be better than the D).  Do any of these or others that I'm not aware of yet come close to comparison in quality to the NGX?  Again, I know these aircraft are no where near as complex or have all the equipment like a 737 does so I'm not looking for comparisons there.  But I am looking for as in depth of a simulation of the real thing as possible.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Well, my favorite GA aircraft that is single engine is the Lancair Legacy by Real Air, if you don't want a single engine, try the duke, or the turbine duke, both are great. Theres also plenty from Carenado, though my only experience is with the PA46T, which is a good aircraft as well.

+1 on the RealAir Lancair Legacy. Add the RealityXP GNS530 to it and you will have the GA equivalent of the PMDG 737NGX. ;)

Considering the OPs needs and preferences (a small plane but still some form of 'operational' or airline form), I would recommend the Carenado C208B which is in my opinion, still the best the aircraft that Carenado have ever released.

It's even better with a Reality XP 430 or 530 fitted in it - but you may not wish that level of depth yet.

Sibwings An-2 is an awesome. It definitely covers the GA/Tubeliner ops field. It is slow but very fun. The AN-2 also has great systems depth accurate for that plane type. Tho if you are coming from the NGX, lack of an autopilot and glass panel might be a challenge. It requires hands on flying. The AN-2 is such a steady flier you don't really need an autopilot tho, just trim it right and it pretty much flies itself.

Also regular GAs can be used in an operational sense. Many GAs are used for air taxi service, light freight hauling, Civil Air Patrol, bush flying ops, corporate aviation, flight instruction, crop dusting...etc.

As for straight up GA planes, the Real AIr Legacy is awesome as noted above. Baytower RV-7 is my personal favorite. Classics Hangar BF-108 is excellent for exotic vintage GA. The A2A Accusimmed Civil P-51 is really awesome and really systems deep...learn how to really manage a big V-12. It will keep you on your toes and bite you if you mistreat it.

Maybe something bigger up your alley would be the Real Air Turbine Duke. That's a great small GA/liner mix.

Yes, with many GA you don't have Vnav and such. You have to plan your decent in your head which isn't too hard. ie you are cruising at 10,000ft and the field elevation is 1,000
ft AGL. Lets say your average ground speed is about 180kts. That is about 3nm per minute. I usually descend at 1000FPM so an 8000ft decent will take 8mins (cruise alt to traffic pattern alt) 8*3=24. Start a 1000FPM decent about 24NM from the airport and you should end up pretty close. Half the distance if you want to descend at 2000FPM

Cheers
TJ

Hello klamal,

if you are looking for a PMDG like aircraft i would also highly recommend the P-51D from A2A Simulations. Best aircraft addon I ever bought. I always heard people saying "Once you have tried A2A you will never go back". And it is true... The amount of detail they put into this warbird is amazing. :O

As pilottj has already mentioned It is available as a civilian version as well, including complete IFR equipement, autopilot and GPS.

If you want to go low and slow instead you might want to consider Aerosofts Katana 4X. Amazing little bird with tons of details and a well modelled system. In some areas even better than A2A.

Let me echo those recommending various GA planes but adding in: "...then get the RXP GNS 530/430.".  The RXP's are a full implementation of the Garmin 530 and 430, including WAAS approaches in the US and Canada and are probably right in line with the sort of thing you're looking for.  While the data is not update-able, you can get relatively recent with them.  The only thing avionics-wise that comes close for GA planes would be Flight1's Mustang and 182 with their G1000 implementations.

I still don't want straight GA. I want some "airline" structure to it yet as I like having that structure to where I am going to fly to next rather than just getting in and not knowing where to go.

Really, it all depends on what you're looking for and while I can imagine that to some tube guys, "GA" seems all the same it's really not.  Many planes overlap between strictly non-commercial use, charter ops and even scheduled regional flights, especially in a place like Alaska.  You probably want to decide first of all what genre you really want to try (eg, piston single, light piston twin, cabin class piston, turbine single, turbine twin, bush capable...) and then look for the best in that genre.

Oh, and most of us (sim & RW) GA guys really don't go wandering around the sky not knowing where to go.  Honest. :lol:

Good luck,

Scott

Oh, and most of us (sim & RW) GA guys really don't go wandering around the sky not knowing where to go. Honest. :lol:

:LMAO: Yeah, I have my private license and(most of the time anyway) have known where I was going.  LOL  :)  I think you know what I mean by my statement but basically, I don't want to have to "look for" my next destination on a map or something like that and just randomly hop around to whatever airport.  I still like simulating flying for an airline and the structure that provides.  So, I like the "feeling" of being "assigned" a route so to speak.  If that makes sense.

So, that's why I reference Era Alaska in my original post too...if I do in fact venture in to the small/light/GA whatever you want to call it area of aviation, I would start by flying their real world routes.  Having said that, there have been a lot of excellent suggestions that have me thinking of breaking out of the "restriction" of flying for Era, but at the moment I still think I'd like to start with them.  I would then like to use actual models that they have in their fleet.  I'm still looking closely at the 208 from Carenado or the B1900C(ported to FSX) from PMDG just because these seem to be used a lot on their routes and can probably get into almost all(if not all) airports they fly to.  Personally, I like the 1900s but of course they are FS9 versions and I'm guessing not quite up to the level of a complete FSX version aircraft would be.  If PMDG had a 1900 updated to FSX/NGX standards, I'd be buying that right now.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

The 1900 is showing it's FS9 heritage... Maybe a Carenado King Air, C90 or B200 would fit the bill.

Again, like the guys above have said, a C90 with an RXP GNS430, or a B200 with an RXP GNS530

would be a nice charter operations aircraft.

Not mentioned is the Flight1 PC12... it would also feel right at home in Alaska.

Lots of nice airplanes to choose from!

Bert

Also of notice is the new Aerosoft Twin Otter X, which according to a developer is (if nothing goes wrong of course) supposed to come out within the next few weeks. It looks fantastic, and seems to be what you're looking for, so maybe keep that in mind  :smile: .

Upcoming Milviz 350 would fit your bill too.

Yeah, I have my private license and(most of the time anyway) have known where I was going. LOL :) I think you know what I mean by my statement but basically,...

I did, but it was just too good to pass up!

Scott

Klamal, if you don't already have it, it sounds like you would really get your money's worth out of AirHauler - does just what you are talking about in terms of simulating commercial air transport based on location and scale of operation (including fleet composition) of your choosing.

And echoing other posts, to remain true to ERA, the Caravan would be a great starting point - either Carenado (with the cargo add-on pack of course), or default with bstolle's fdx add-on. You can even get ERA skins for the Caravan (try OzX site)!

Happy haulin'

Upcoming Milviz 350 would fit your bill too.

I didn't know this. Thanks. I like their 310, especially the sound aspect. 

For the TS, would you ever try BN-2 Islander? it's simple and forgiving yet robust GA plane to fly

I second the advice on the Carenado C208 Caravan, the Realair Legacy and the Sibwings An-2. I'd say with those three planes you have everything covered for flying in remote areas - a plane that can haul quite heavy loads, one that is really fast and one to land nearly everywhere, and they all have convincing flight dynamics IMO.