Sign in to follow this  
Wendall

Am I missing tweaks?

Hey guys,

I really hate to start a new topic, as I thought I had covered everything, but after setting all sliders to the right on my brand new FSX installation, running my fsx.cfg through the venetubo tool, and adding several memorized tweaks (HIGHMEMFIX, TML, etc), I'm still getting horrific blurries appearing as close as 50 feet in front of the aircraft, and my autogen is very sparsely dispersed. Now I wouldn't have an issue with the autogen normally, but I recently got Earth Simulation's Channel Isles reinstalled, and it doesn't look nearly as good as it used to.

Anything I'm blanking out on? And what should I do about the autogen?

Many thanks, 

Blurries are caused by your system and GPU being unable to keep up with your requests to FSX to render textures and other processes.  When the settings are set too high, you will get blurries.  If you have a modern computer system (and you do), get rid of Venetubo's tool.  Most of those tweaks are for older systems.  Some of them, if not properly employed, will do more harm than good.  Highmemfix is not a tweak but an actual fix that Microsoft forgot to add when they published SP2/Acceleration.  Check out the AVSIM Software and Hardware Guide pinned at the top of this forum for tweaks that might be effective for your system.  I wouldn't employ a tweak unless I knew exactly what it would do to my system.  Since you have a 'K' series CPU, I would try overclocking it at least to 4.4GHz.  Keep out the tweaks and instead try changing your Texture_Max_Load to 2048 (HD Textures) and your LOD_Radius to 4.5.  FTX/Orbx has an excellent guide for settings depending on your system and they actually work.  Do you have Acceleration installed?  Your profile does not indicate that.  You should have at least SP1 and SP2 installed as they fixed some performance issues.

I'll be moving up to the i7 4770K, the ASUS Z87 Deluxe MB, and the GTX780 video card by this weekend.  I have all the parts.  Just need the time to install.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Do you have Acceleration installed?  Your profile does not indicate that.  You should have at least SP1 and SP2 installed as they fixed some performance issues.

Yes sorry forgot to mention that. 

Well, I rebuilt my fsx.cfg and applied everything that was included in the AVSIM guide. The autogen problem persists, so I think I might've screwed something up that isn't related to the cfg, but instead related to the actual scenery

I'll be moving up to the i7 4770K, the ASUS Z87 Deluxe MB, and the GTX780 video card by this weekend. I have all the parts. Just need the time to install.

Can you let us know how it works with fsx? I'd like to hear your results.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

With a new cfg, FPS at Friday Island should be 20. Go into Settings and move the slider from 20 to max right. Did the FPS jump to 130+? Mine does. If not, the CPU clock or the memory timings might be holding it back and needs to be fixed first.

Jim is right! HIGHMEMFIX is a must. AM=14 (HT off) is a >90% must, to free up Core 0 and prevent thread collisons. Bufferpools=0 is a must on new cards. LOD of 6.5 does not affect autogen but will affect blurries. AA will also have an effect. What is AA and Ansio set to in FSX and NI?

Dave

The best tweak is to delete your FSX.cfg file and let the sim build a new one. If this does not give satisfactory results, no amount of tweaking is going to fix it. It means something is broken.  According to Wikipedia, "Tweaking refers to fine-tuning or adjusting a complex system". If it doesn't work right, you need to troubleshoot, not fine tune.

The tweaks I use on my new system basically amount to Usepools=0, frame rate locked at 30. There are a few others I use, but the difference they make is subtle. Also be user to enable Anisotropic filtering and make sure you're running FSX at the correct resolution.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I agree with the above post, I suggest to delete your fsx and forget about using  Ventubo Tool since others  seem to believe this is  out dated  now.  In my case  I  only  use  2  tweaks  on my  fsx.cfg(this being  in the ngx manual  being the  highmenfix  and  the  wideviewsaspect) and  the rest of  fsx.cfg is stock standard with no o/c and have no issues  at all. 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I keep saying this, but people are still fixated on these 'tweaks' - The problem is that most people install every and any tweak that they can find only to see very little improvement, and rather a lot of instability. Run FSX, if it feels smooth, then leave it well alone. If it doesn't, turn down some graphics settings. Yes there are some acceptable if perhaps necessary tweaks to add to FSX.cfg, however I'd say at least 90% of the 'tweaks' I've found here have caused more harm than good!

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

I keep saying this, but people are still fixated on these 'tweaks' - The problem is that most people install every and any tweak that they can find only to see very little improvement, and rather a lot of instability. Run FSX, if it feels smooth, then leave it well alone. If it doesn't, turn down some graphics settings. Yes there are some acceptable if perhaps necessary tweaks to add to FSX.cfg, however I'd say at least 90% of the 'tweaks' I've found here have caused more harm than good!

"Very" wise words.............

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I do not agree AT ALL with posts saying you need no tweaks. However, I do agree that you should ONLY use the tweaks that actually have an effect and of which you know what they do. Test them all one by one. And don't use that Venebo tool...

I have an i5 2500K running at 4,5 GHz and a GTX580. I ALWAYS use the Bufferpools tweak: it enables me to use higher settings and still get good performance. Heck, even with lower settings the tweak gives me better performance. The difference with and without the Bufferpools tweak is VERY noticeable: with the tweak it feels like I have some 500 bucks of extra hardware in my PC. 

I just ran the Venetubo tool, added Highmemfix=1 and after that most of the time I've enjoyed stable system and good enough performance. 

Then earlier on some other system that tool didn't work at all and created only problems. I guess very little things between system configuration can make certain tweaks to work or not to work well at all. 

Only tweaks I use now, with a venerable i3770K system, are highmemfix=1, wideviewaspect =true, and texture_max_load=4096 (I'm addicted to REX HD clouds, at the expense of super frame rates, what can I say? ). I don't even play with LOD radius or Bufferpools, even using a now-outdated 680GTX. Frame rate set at 30 in FSX, Anisotropic on in FSX, nothing fancy in Nvidia settings.

Also look at your traffic, ships and ferries; they are pretty, but at anything above 20 (16 for road traffic), they are serious performance hogs in areas like KSEA during rush hour.

I have an i5 2500K running at 4,5 GHz and a GTX580. I ALWAYS use the Bufferpools tweak: it enables me to use higher settings and still get good performance. Heck, even with lower settings the tweak gives me better performance. The difference with and without the Bufferpools tweak is VERY noticeable: with the tweak it feels like I have some 500 bucks of extra hardware in my PC. 

Bufferpools being equal to 0? or do you keep them enabled?

AM=14 (HT off) is a >90% must, to free up Core 0 and prevent thread collisons.

AM? that's a new one to me, care to explain?

Bufferpools being equal to 0? or do you keep them enabled?

Equal to 0 in my case.