Sign in to follow this  
Appliance

AMD Releases First-Ever 5 GHz Processor - AMD FX-9590

Great to see AMD have started to "push" the clocks, maybe this opens Intel 's eyes and we get a new "clock race" and that 10GHz chips could be seen in the future. Im intrested to see how this one will do compared to the new haswell chips. Maybe AMD would take over as the best FSX chip B)

Great to see AMD have started to "push" the clocks, maybe this opens Intel 's eyes and we get a new "clock race" and that 10GHz chips could be seen in the future. Im intrested to see how this one will do compared to the new haswell chips. Maybe AMD would take over as the best FSX chip B)

For $179 my fx-8350 will kick any intel chip in its price range on newer stuff and I get good performance with the NGX and payware airports usually 20-25 fps with the NGX at a Fsdreamteam or flytampa airport

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

z06z33, on 20 Jun 2013 - 5:52 PM, said:

For $179 my fx-8350 will kick any intel chip in its price range on newer stuff and I get good performance with the NGX and payware airports usually 20-25 fps with the NGX at a Fsdreamteam or flytampa airport

Hmmm, a friend of mine had an new AMD chip clocked at 5Ghz(don't remember wich one, but it was newer than my chip and considerd one of the best AMD at that time (6months ago)) and my old i7 950 4Ghz beat the crap out of it in ARMA3 and he swore he would never buy AMD chips again after seing my performance....

So my old intel chip did beat he's AMD flagship Product at that time, maybe this new one will change the game though.

On the other hand Intel chips has always been more expensive than AMD chips...

So you could argue that AMD gave most bang for buck, but spending more bucks on AMD wouldn't give you more bang than Intel:)

Hmmm, a friend of mine had an new AMD chip clocked at 5Ghz(don't remember wich one, but it was newer than my chip and considerd one of the best AMD at that time (6months ago)) and my old i7 950 4Ghz beat the crap out of it in ARMA3 and he swore he would never buy AMD chips again after seing my performance....

So my old intel chip did beat he's AMD flagship Product at that time, maybe this new one will change the game though.

On the other hand Intel chips has always been more expensive than AMD chips...

So you could argue that AMD gave most bang for buck, but spending more bucks on AMD wouldn't give you more bang than Intel:)

Chances are he was using a amd bulldozer Cpu and those were a horrible Cpu infact the older amd phenom 2 at. 3.6ghz beat the 4.1 ghz bulldozer chip

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Chances are he was using a amd bulldozer Cpu and those were a horrible Cpu infact the older amd phenom 2 at. 3.6ghz beat the 4.1 ghz bulldozer chip

Yes that could be it. But may I ask, I have a i7 3770K what AMD chip would outperform my chip? I always used intel but Im open to new things.

Yes that could be it. But may I ask, I have a i7 3770K what AMD chip would outperform my chip? I always used intel but Im open to new things.

Your i7 will kill a Fx8350 clock for clock but the Fx8350 has a alot of over clock potential if you go with water cooling

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I don't understand why people get so excited by Ghz. That's like saying my car's engine can do 7000rpm. By itself that number doesn't mean very much.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

GHZ means more frames but fsx likes CPU speed. Could over overclock my amd fx6300 or i5 3570k using photoreal and Cessna 172 just too lazy and ocing can cause problems if you don't micromanage your computer to death.

If intel and AMD came out with that clocked 5.0 without overclocking make a lot of simmers happy do not want to bother with ocing.

GHz does not directly = frames in FSX. The architecture of the CPU's pipeline is extremely important - this is why AMD still struggles to beat nearly 4 year old Intel chips. I seriously doubt this 5GHz thing is going to outperform the overclocked Intel i5s and i7s even if it is technically "faster."

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

If intel and AMD came out with that clocked 5.0 without overclocking make a lot of simmers happy do not want to bother with ocing.

How true...I've tried the first time to de lid my new Haswell and guess what....it's broken. Sigh, I should have waited for AMD benchmarks before doing this to me. :wacko:

Hopefully my mb is still ok. I also had to return the Corsair H110, as it didn't fit and wait for a H90. What a pain in the &@($* :( .

GHz does not directly = frames in FSX. The architecture of the CPU's pipeline is extremely important - this is why AMD still struggles to beat nearly 4 year old Intel chips. I seriously doubt this 5GHz thing is going to outperform the overclocked Intel i5s and i7s even if it is technically "faster."

Ditto that! had my old 965 Phenom Oc'd @ 3.5 Ghz. My 3770K is natively at 3.5 Ghz. Absolutely no comparison between the two clock for clock when it comes to FSX performance.

Hi,

Looking forward to Cinebench Single Core score of this new AMD chip; the higher the better for FSX. Current Haswells are around 1,7, whereas current AMD FX´s are around 1,1 and have been there since Phenom II´s.

Hence AMD FX-8350 is probably no better than Phenom II X6 1100 or X4 980 in terms of FSX.

I´m currently using the X6 1100 and love it. I can live with somewhat limited ground and airport settings in FSX, as I prefer to be in the air, rather than standing on the tarmac. In fact,  with my current ambitious settings in Inspector with REX E clouds, my GTX 570 GPU is the bottleneck in my current system.

However, once Windows 8 and the Haswell platform have matured, I might go for a swap..

BR,

Anders