Sign in to follow this  
Boblister

VRinsight MCP Combo problem

Having just returned to FSX and PMDG 737NGX I dug out a VRinsight MCP Combo I bought a while ago. Unfortunately this is the original and not the new version 2 Boeing type. I have installed the VRiSim software and the panel seems to be communicating with FSX ok but I am getting funny readings on the MCP display with 737NGX. Speed reads 000, Heading reads 090 and ALT reads 00300. This does not reflect the readings in FSX on the 737 panel. Adjusting the respective knobs on the panel does adjust the display readings within the 737NGX in FSX but the VRinsight display stays at the readings I have shown. They do appear to try and change but are instantly forced back to the above readings. I have PMDG 737NGX selected in VRiSim and all the buttons seem to work correctly. I tried the default FSX Boeing 737 and set VRiSim accordingly and that seems to work ok with displays and buttons. So the problem is only with the PMDG 737 by the looks of things.  Any ideas?

I'm using the original VRinsight MCP Combo with the NGX with no problems whatsoever — but I use LINDA instead of the VRinsight software (I never even installed the VRinsight stuff). Since LINDA builds on the Lua support offered by FSUIPC, you will need the latest registered version of that, too — but LINDA itself is donationware.

To review what LINDA is, and what's involved, I would suggest starting here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/376920-linda-beginners-guide-a-very-detailed-manual/

If you like what you see then download —

* The official (terse, but invaluable) manual: http://fs-linda.com/downloads/Manual.pdf

Then download and install LINDA and at least the NGX module for it —

* LINDA v1.11 with add-on modules including the NGX: http://fs-linda.com/downloads/LINDA-v1.11.zip

Have fun!   :smile:

Cheers,

Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

Thank's Brian I will give it a go.  I presumed I had to install the VRinsight stuff so that the panel would communicate with FSX in the first place.

Hi Rob!

Nah — they claim you have to install it so that you can identify the COM port to use, but that's not so, as I explain in the detailed manual (the first link I gave).

Oh, and I forgot to mention — the latest version of the NGX module for LINDA gives you full display synchronisation. Of course, we only have about half the number of characters on our Combo screens than the v2 owners do, but LINDA does the best it can with what's available.    :biggrin:

Cheers,

Brian

Thank's again Brian.  I am reading now  :Nerd: .  Hopefully will be all straight forward as FSUIPC etc. are all latest versions.

Then you should be hot to trot.    B)

The *only* guy that I know of (since I spent some time trying to help) who had problems, turned out in the end to be using a seriously ancient version of FSUIPC.....    :rolleyes:  

But if by any chance you do encounter anything strange, please don't hesitate to drop me a PM — or post a message on the LINDA forum.

Cheers,

Brian

Just an update Brian.  It's working fine using LINDA.  I must admit I have only skimmed the instructions so far I am probably too impatient.  Now for a proper study then setup the Saitek Pro yoke and pedals.  I wasn't sure if Linda.exe needed to be left running, but apparently not.  It seems it's only used for configuration.

On another note.  At the moment I only have one Saitek throttle quadrant but need to setup for two engines.  Can Linda do this.  I have been plodding through  the Angle of Attack tutorial (flyaoamedia.com) and all the setup there is using two throttle quadrants.

Hi Rob!

That's great: the detailed guide was for people who needed to understand the background, as well as get some insight into the details, so just dip into it as and when you're ready.    ^_^

>  I only have one Saitek throttle quadrant but need to setup for two engines.  Can Linda do this.

Nope, sorry — LINDA does what LINDA does best, which is buttons, switches, and the VRinsight Combo. All axes are left to the tender care of FSUIPC (which is what *it* does best), so I would suggest a look at the FSUIPC docs for that — especially since I parted from my Saitek gear a little while ago in favour of Thrustmaster kit, so I'm not terribly into Saitek any more. I'll have a look around and see if I can find any notes from my Saitek days, though.

All the best,

Brian

I don't know how I missed that Andy.  I think I was definitely having a senior moment today.  I have got the system working using Linda at the moment which will probably give a bit more flexibility to change things.

Linda is for sure better than the default software but its a lot easier to use than LINDA is for beginners, Brians guide goes a long way to making that easier though. Enjoy!

Cheers, Andy.

[O.T.]

Hmm, this is developing into a Northerners' convention: Andy in Cheshire, Rob in Cumbria, and me a Scouser......    :P

Cheers, guys!     :drinks:

Brian

P.S. For the benefit of our international readers:

Scouser (skaus-sir)
Slang.

A native or inhabitant of Liverpool.