Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Signs at airports......

Guest BOPrey

Hi all,Is there a way to enlarge those signs when they are in view? I am having a hard time finding my way at airports. Having airport charts helps a bit, but you still have to find your way around. My objective is to not rely on going to the top-down view to navigate around.

The only way to enlarge them is to modify the airport scenery and change the sign size (default 3) to a larger size. Each and every sign would have to be modified.The sign size replicates the actual size of signs at airports.W. Sieffert

I agree!In the real world actual size replecation may be fine, but in the sim world I cannot read them without zooming in too close for taxi navigation. In addition, I wish the signs were painted on each side (Yea, I know I am probably going the wrong direction but that is where ATC sent me). Thank goodness for good charts.I don't know whether it is real world or not, but some of the FlyTampa locations solve the entire problem with signs painted on the apron and taxi strips in large writing.Happy flying:RTH

Actually it seems they might be painted on both sides, but the dark side in shadow is difficult to see. I tried lightening the default textures with one of the scenery sdk utilities (dxt2bmp) and my bitmap editor but it did not seem to help the gamma curve to brighten up the mid-range area.(My monitor is set correctly.)

Guest BOPrey

What is FlyTampa? Is it an airport in FS9 or an addon?

FlyTampa is the name of a Payware site for five of the best addon airports IMHO. Somewhat like SimFlyers if you are familar with that site, but a bit better in the opinion of some.http://flytampa.com/The five are San Diego Intl. Miami Intl. Tampa Intl. Duabi, and San Francisco Intl. (More are coming).Their latest, KSFO is a breakthrough benchmark for addon airports. I do not know what the difference is, but frame rates are equal to or may even exceed the fs9 default airport in spite of unbelievable textures. (Daytime, they do drop at night)Unfortunately, KSFO is not included as a demo, but a couple of the others are on the site above if you would like to take a peek. I very much recommend this scenery and I think that you will find from other posts that this is pretty near a consensus opinion. You might want to read on their forum too.One neat thing is that at some of them, you have an attendent directing you as you pull up to the gates, waving those lights until he crosses his arms to set the brake. (Well, I think it is neat anyway).Good luck:RTH

One correction:The other night, I flew into KSFO and had terrible frame rates. I assumed that there was a big difference between day and night relative to frame rate results at FlyTampa KSFO. NOT TRUE just now. I went back with night selected and saw no difference. Frame rates were still high at night. I don't know what the problem was earlier. Sorry for misleading you.RTH