Sign in to follow this  
Q400lover

Opus vs Active sky 2012

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had thought the consensus was that for high-altitude winds aloft Opus still had a long way to go (including by the developers' own admission), making it much less of a strong choice for airliner flying. If that's been sorted out I may have to take another look at Opus.

James

Guest Mik75

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had thought the consensus was that for high-altitude winds aloft Opus still had a long way to go (including by the developers' own admission), making it much less of a strong choice for airliner flying. If that's been sorted out I may have to take another look at Opus.

James

Unfortunately, this has been very true in my case! I couldn't get rid of the wind shifts in Opus. Even the latest version caused harsh overspeeds during cruise. And on some planes, like the PMDG MD11, that leads to an A/P disconnect. Not too nice on long haul flights...

To bring on the third, really good option here, I recently switched to FSGRW. It is a breeze to set up and use and the results, especially with its local weather effects, are fantastic. Together with REX (for the textures) and Ezdok (for the cameras and the DHM) it is a really immserdive experience!

Personally, I could not understand the way turbulence works in Opus so I returned it. It seemed to me that the only way to get turbulence is by activating DHM, however that "faked" turbulence had no impact on aircraft whatsoever.

Might be that it is user error but I could not get the "real" turbulence with Opus.

In AS2012, I just fired it up and everything was set with nice turb in gusty winds, cumulus clouds, etc. without the need to setup cameras.

As said, might be user error! :)