Sign in to follow this  
alderon57

Modifying a local airport

Hello.

I am a user of FS9-point-whatever.  I have been dreaming of modifying my local airport(s) to make them more accurate and realistic.  However, I have not done any scenery creation since "Fly!" and ProPilot; and frankly my working hours don't really allow much time to learn and indulge in that right now.

How steep is the learning curve with any of the "Instant" scenery programs?  Or maybe some creative and generous person would like a little side project?  :-)  Maps and photos are available.

Any tips or advise are welcome!

Ron

Using instant scenery 2 from Flight1 is fairly quick and easy

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=instscen2

I haven't used FS9 since FSX came out, so can't remember if there is a good default library of objects like FSX has for use with it, but there are a few object libraries on the various sites.

Curious, what airport?

Best, Michael

KDFW

Thanks, guys.  Rich, I will check the info over at FSDeveloper.

Mike, my "home base" is either Pennridge or Quakertown in SE Pennsylvania.  I made or modified a lot of local scenery for Fly!; but have never attempted anything for FS9.  And after spending all day on a computer, I'd rather just fly in my spare time; not spend a lot of time learning new programs.  Poor excuse, I know...

I haven't used FS9 since FSX came out, so can't remember if there is a good default library of objects like FSX has for use with it, but there are a few object libraries on the various sites.

A few? I've uploaded about 50 FS9 scenery object libraries myself. The number of files in the FS9 Scenery Design library here on Avsim is over 600, and the majority of those are probably scenery objects. I've seen lots of nice sceneries people have done with these "prefab" objects.

I use AFX and Instant Scenery. I don't think any of the freeware programs are even close to Instant Scenery when it comes to placing objects, but I agree that ADE9X is the best of that bunch.

As for creating your own scenery objects, I've put in lots of time with Gmax, Sketchup, and Instant Object Studio, and I prefer Instant Object Studio. It's great to be able to create objects direcly in FS rather than going having to go through makemdl or ModelConverterX. For a good example of what IOS can do, have a look at my Port Columbus KCMH scenery for FS9. Every building on the field, as well as the jetways, gate numbers and taxiway markings, were made using IOS. That said, 3D modelling definitely has a learning curve and requires patience. 

Sorry Sidney, i wasn't aware. Once I learned to make my own objects back in the day (FS2002/FSDS) i stopped using others objects, but did tend to use the default FSX ones from time to time since there were many and of decent quality. Having an online directory of all the default FSX objects helped also

http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/sceneobjects/

Also I wouldn't prefer anyone using the objects I made specifically for any scenery to be used to create their own scenery, so I would never suggest using anyones objects unless they were packaged specifically for objects to use in creating scenery.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Also I wouldn't prefer anyone using the objects I made specifically for any scenery to be used to create their own scenery, so I would never suggest using anyones objects unless they were packaged specifically for objects to use in creating scenery.

I certainly agree, and there are plenty of public domain objects available without having to "borrow" custom objects from someone else's work.

I'm supposed to be working on a new tower and terminal for KATL, but I'll probably goof off and go flying instead.  :P