Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

Who says XP's clouds are no good?!

OK, they may not be great, but recently they seem to have improved a lot over when I first checked XP out at the beginning of the year. Even with cloud detail way down (I have mine at 60%) the game is capable of producing some pretty realistic looking weather:

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

If they can figure out how to make sunny-day glare, atmospheric haze and white clouds, they'd be near perfect.

Those are nice clouds Dom. What detail % do you have yours at?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Great shots,I love that Centurion II also! :Big Grin:

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Here are some shots I posted in a different forum:

http://www.flightsim...Queen-Charlotte

The shots appear to be gone.  I can't see them any more.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

And the clouds aren't wandering/turn around you (no billboards), as they are real 3D clouds.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Clouds only look good like this when they are low and in mountaineous terrain. The problem is at a distance, and at high altitude, they look like balls of cotton candy. They lack detail and definition.

Agreed, they need some work. Hopefully someone will get round to making some payware weather addon soon, now that momentum (and presumably sales) are growing for XP.

By 'billboards' do you guys mean 2D bitmaps? I guess that makes it easier to make replacement textures?

By 'billboards' do you guys mean 2D bitmaps? I guess that makes it easier to make replacement textures?

Yes and np.While it uses 2D bitmaps, they wotk totally different than anything other simulators use.These bitmaps are only tiny smoke puffs that are drawn according to the weather informations, X-Plane has.The problem is: These informations don't know anything about sharp borders or a good 3D strzctzre. With a decent weather injection the effects could be dramatic