When I upgraded to my new system I kinda made a mistake with the RAM, bought Kingston Hyper 2400Mhz with a CL11 latency(DDR3 240 pin). Totally forgot that lower latency would be better only looked at the clock. So im looking for lowest possible latency and fastest Mhz possible. Where do I start any suggestions? Price doesn't matter...

Gskill F3-2666C10D-8GTXD (10-12-12-31-1T)

HLJAMES

Are you sure about this, isn't those timings abit high? Wouldn't Cl9 latency RAM perform better at even lower clock speeds?

HLJAMES

Agree

Are you sure about this, isn't those timings abit high? Wouldn't Cl9 latency RAM perform better at even lower clock speeds?

No way , if downclock this kit to 2400 they do Cl8 its a better chip

No way , if downclock this kit to 2400 they do Cl8 its a better chip

Ah, sorry for being a noob when it comes to hardware, didn't know that I could change the latency.. So if If downclock my current ram could I set lower latency values on it and would I benefit from doing it?

You can easily change the latency and the clock speed in BIOS setup. Usually clock speed makes a bigger difference than latency, but if you really have to crank up the latency to reach a certain clock speed, it may be better to use a lower speed+lower latency. Also keep in mind that except for a few specific scenarios, there are diminishing returns beyond 1600 MHz, making it unnecessary to pay a huge premium for super-fast RAM or to lose too much sleep over it.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Breaking-the-Hype-of-High-Frequency-RAM-142/page2

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Thanks a lot guys for your inputs, it makes more sense to me now B)

You can easily change the latency and the clock speed in BIOS setup. Usually clock speed makes a bigger difference than latency, but if you really have to crank up the latency to reach a certain clock speed, it may be better to use a lower speed+lower latency. Also keep in mind that except for a few specific scenarios, there are diminishing returns beyond 1600 MHz, making it unnecessary to pay a huge premium for super-fast RAM or to lose too much sleep over it.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Breaking-the-Hype-of-High-Frequency-RAM-142/page2

JimmiG,

I also picked up 4 x 8Gb 2400Mhz/CL11 modules using the GSkill ARES model as they are low profile and therefore fit under the Noctua NH-D14.  I'm not sure how much overclock beyond SB-E's default 1600Mhz rated memory I can expect to get, but I'm hoping maybe 2133Mhz if I'm lucky--it seems the memory should have no trouble but I'm not sure about the memory controller or i7-3930K.  If I can get it stable at 2133Mhz I'm hoping I can reduce CL to 9 or 10 tops.  

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

FSX is one of those scenarios where RAM faster than 1600 still makes a difference.

Noel, I had to up the VTT voltage a bit to be able to run at 2133 on my 3930K. Can't get it to run stable @2400. I can boot in to windows but any stresstesting fails quickly. That might be due to my old 2133 rated sticks not wanting to overclock further thou

FSX is one of those scenarios where RAM faster than 1600 still makes a difference.

Noel, I had to up the VTT voltage a bit to be able to run at 2133 on my 3930K. Can't get it to run stable @2400. I can boot in to windows but any stresstesting fails quickly. That might be due to my old 2133 rated sticks not wanting to overclock further thou

Is 2133 about what I should expect for these GSkill modules that are rated 2400?  If XMP option fails to get 2400, what parameters do I have at my disposal to manually configure memory on an X79 board?  I'm still confused on how BCLK works for various parts...

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Is 2133 about what I should expect for these GSkill modules that are rated 2400? If XMP option fails to get 2400, what parameters do I have at my disposal to manually configure memory on an X79 board? I'm still confused on how BCLK works for various parts...

No no. You might get to 2400. As far as I understand many SBEs manage that but not all. The voltages that might have to be raised are VTT and VCCSA. It's said that its good for overclocking to keeep them close together. My stock VCCSA was 1.2 and VTT was 1.095. I had to put the VTT to 1.2 as well to manage 2133. Absolute maximum for both is 1.4V. Recommended for air cooling is 1.2V

You don't need to change the BCLK at all to get to 2400. Just keep it at 100 and set the 2400 mem divider.

SAAB340, on 24 Jun 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

No no. You might get to 2400. As far as I understand many SBEs manage that but not all. The voltages that might have to be raised are VTT and VCCSA. It's said that its good for overclocking to keeep them close together. My stock VCCSA was 1.2 and VTT was 1.095. I had to put the VTT to 1.2 as well to manage 2133. Absolute maximum for both is 1.4V. Recommended for air cooling is 1.2V

You don't need to change the BCLK at all to get to 2400. Just keep it at 100 and set the 2400 mem divider.

Thanks for that. Would you maybe use the CPU Strap to get an intermediate frequency if 2400 doesn't fly? I put her all together w/ exquisite care yesterday only to learn after a very brief successful first POST and visit into the UEFI BIOS, that the PSU was about to die. It was a brand new PC & Power & Cooling 750W too.

I remember hearing about VTT & VCCSA staying close from ASUS's own video on overclocking X79. New PSU coming in a day or two.

Noel