Sign in to follow this  
JSkorna

AS2004.5...

Does anyone know where Damian is from? Where is hifi based?ThanksEdit: Is AS easy to sedt up so as to download and use offline (no broadband here)?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It is included in the package. It is a .dll that you can install in your modules folder and is an option within the main install package. It is a pop-up that is brought up with a hot key and is not a gauge as such but can by fooling around be positioned over a panel if you wish. I do not use it because on my specific system I can't get the gauge video to sync on my particular system so I have not seen any results.I use the WX500 gauge sold by Reality-XP as the WX500 which operates off the FS modeled environment and is not dependent on data fed by a specific weather package - different principle entirely.

You can download weather in advance of your flight and save (archive) it if you wish. You can also download archived dates and times back for quite a few months.The AS2004.5 weather download on my 56K dial-up takes about four minutes. It is compressed data processed on their proprietary server. There have been very,very few outages. You can read about this on their forum here on AVSIM.The complete product download I think was about 6 meg. It was a reasonable dial-up download time from simmarket as I recall and activation key was delivered by e-mail shortly thereafter. simmarket is UK time.Upgrades are delivered directly from the hifisim developer site as posted in their forum here.Don't know where they are located other than I believe Europe somewhere but there has been no language barrier and support has been timely via their forum. Location is not a problem these days.

Thanks for the info. I think I may pick up Active Sky as well. Does anyone else know if its a UK or Aussie company?

Hi,Thanks for your interest in our product!HiFi and Damian are based in California. As Support I am based in Michigan. Other members of the team are based worldwide. SimMarket.com is our e-commerce vendor and offers download purchases or a CD for a few extra dollars.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Screenshots look great, but how handy is it for those of us that prefer to use 2D clouds? I would possibly be interested in AS2004 if the cloud transparency issue is fixed with 2D clouds.

Word. I have no doubts in 4.5 after my flight yesterday! Took off from KRNT and was greeted by Seattle weather. Oh my! Multi-layered clouds really look beautiful. Turbulence, haze... and ICING.

Hi. "Screenshots look great, but how handy is it for those of us that prefer to use 2D clouds?"it's not 2d clouds they are in 3d in simple mode and they look simple clouds. The simple cloud mode in fs2004 is not accurate on weather, it's more basic weather with limitation nothing from clouds formation no matter what's you have, it will remain like simple mode with limitation. In detailed mode there is the real weather specification and visual on weather and active sky use this mode.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Hmmm. You guys had me fooled as to your location (-:.But as stated I've had great support for a great product.

Jim I'm sorry but I can't see how it can get any better than this before FS2k6 rolls out... :-beerchug

I love this product...I tell ya, there is nothing worse than having overcast on the ground with the old FS weather engine and then take off and it get perfectly clear....that is sooo annoying...I love how that doesnt happen anymore...This is just a fantastic product!! I took of from KSAN yesterday with 20kt winds, gusts to 24 and was shellshocked by how lifelike it felt. I use activecamera as well so the VC was really bumping around...not to mention the wake turbulence I encountered on takeoff right after a 737 departed in front of me!! Another big thing I like is how the horizon looks...it doesnt look like a defined line anymore..I have my max vis set to 25 miles and it really looks very "hazy" like it should on the horizon...all in all great product and I highly recommned it!!

Hi Mike,Be curious to hear what you think of it if you buy it. I've been very close to buying it in the past, but have never got there.RegardsTimPS: What do you know about scanners and listening to the chatter at NZWN?

Hi DillonWhere do you set the 'Affinity' to use only one processor.I have a P4 3.2 with Hyper Threading.thanksBob Wright

Not bad!Not bad at all. Just purchased and ran the program for the first time. Not bad...but I sure pity the chap that has a processor not up to the application....This really adds to the realism, for sure.Cheers!Mitch R.

Once FS2k4 and AS2004.5 is loaded up, go back to the desktop and hit 'ctrl-alt-del'. From there go to the 'Processes' tab and you should see all the programs currently running. Find AS2004 and right click on it. A drop down menu will come up and 'Affinity' will be at the very bottom. Click on it to open the options and uncheck one of the boxes....

That is true. I tried to fly last night but really couldn't at all. Fall weather + night flight + Simflyer scenery + Ultimate Traffic + PMDG just don't mix on this system :)

Hi Preston,Try lowering the maximum # of cloud layers a touch and disable overcast enhancement when the system is loaded like that. You should be able to get better performance at the expense of a few less clouds. Of course, a higher-end system will allow a more complex and dense weather-scape with less performance penalty.

I really like what Damian has done. Some awesome improvements.. However my only issue of which should have been an easy fix (I have suggested to Damian), is that you can't put AS 2004.5 in pause mode and load your New Route, prior to doing an initial refresh.As far as I can tell, you have to do an initial Refresh and then load your New Route and process it through the weather engine. So it is basically two refreshes and updates when you could just load the route once and it could do it all in the weather engine in one pass. Of course it would have to make sure you are stationed at the airport. It would be really cool if once you load your flight plan in AS 2004, that data would be transfered to your flight plan in FS 2004 and then have it take you to the departure airport automatically.Other than that, AS 2004 seems to update a little quicker. And it is nice to have the weather stations display on the screen as it is loading. Nice touch Damian.Barry

Hey there, Preston.While I was picking up 2004.5, I also grabbed Simflyer's Toronto.With the two above running, and with everything cranked in FS9, my XPS is pulling 20-22 FPS. Simflyer's stuff really sucks the octane. It still is smooth though. When I take off from the Simflyer's Toronto, the FPS's soar with the bird....lol. At flight with AW2004.5 running up some great sky-scape, the FPS's settle into the 50's and up. AW2004.5 doesn't suck up the frame rates---the Simflyer's eye-candy does...but then again, look what you get...(LARGE SILLY SMILE INSERTED HERE).If I had tried this with my 1.4 Green Celery three weeks ago, the machine would have sat there and laughed itself apart...sheesh....Cheers!Mitch R.

Sure, sure--they'll still be some tweaking left no doubt. I know SimFlyer sceneries are hogs because anywhere else I fly just fine with AS4.5!Thanks Damian

>Hi Dillon>>Where do you set the 'Affinity' to use only one processor.>>I have a P4 3.2 with Hyper Threading.>>thanks>>Bob WrightCornish Peninsula? Is that where the Cornish Patsies come from?Andy B

Where is this "Overcast enhancement"?????? I cannot find a tick-field in any of the options!I am using the latest update.ThanksAdam