Sign in to follow this  
Bigmack

Fly The Maddog SP2 Released

Well, I just took advantage of the new low price and bought it. Installed it. Seemed to work, but didn't go through the flight process. Decided to download the first set of liveries. Installed them. Went back, loaded the Maddog, and switched to the VC (I load into the 2D cockpit first, then switch)...and there IS NO VC!! I also use EZCA, and ran the config app prior to loading FSX. When I use EZCA to "look around", all I see is the tarmac and terminal. The views change to where the cockpit SHOULD be, but there is no aircraft there. Exterior views show the plane parked at the gate. But no VC!

I thought it was working prior to installing the livery package. So what's up? Incidentally, my Coolsky MD-80 loads and the VC works fine.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Maddog has an enormously loyal support amongst those that use it regularly, I tried it and found it was a little dated when compared with some of the more recent and more realistic releases, but it is a case of different strokes for different folks.

Nigel Porter

simhaven. group see: https://www.facebook.com/groups/493455508243014

Well, I just took advantage of the new low price and bought it. Installed it. Seemed to work, but didn't go through the flight process. Decided to download the first set of liveries. Installed them. Went back, loaded the Maddog, and switched to the VC (I load into the 2D cockpit first, then switch)...and there IS NO VC!! I also use EZCA, and ran the config app prior to loading FSX. When I use EZCA to "look around", all I see is the tarmac and terminal. The views change to where the cockpit SHOULD be, but there is no aircraft there. Exterior views show the plane parked at the gate. But no VC!

I thought it was working prior to installing the livery package. So what's up? Incidentally, my Coolsky MD-80 loads and the VC works fine.

Before you start FSX, go to start menu/fly the maddog/manager&setup and configure aircraft. In setup tab, check "virtual cockpit, pilot position" and then select configuration and livery. VC will not show up if you select different livery in fsx then selected in manager&setup.

Now, if you save maddog with engines runing, for quick flight - just load default flight first, with default cessna or whatever default fsx plane, place it to some airport and after that select maddog from fsx menu. You will need to set fuel from fsx menu in this case.

When you do complete flight, you should do all preflight in "manager&setup" too, but save plane in cold&dark state. Then, start fsx, select default cesnna, load the flight, shut down all engines and systems, avionics - all swiches to off. After that, select maddog, and you will have corectly loaded state, weights and fuel(like you configured in manager)

@@captain bligh, outdated in terms of graphics, yes. But in all other - systems, fde and some quirks of real plane, it's a years ahead of all recent releases

Before you start FSX, go to start menu/fly the maddog/manager&setup and configure aircraft. In setup tab, check "virtual cockpit, pilot position" and then select configuration and livery. VC will not show up if you select different livery in fsx then selected in manager&setup.

Now, if you save maddog with engines runing, for quick flight - just load default flight first, with default cessna or whatever default fsx plane, place it to some airport and after that select maddog from fsx menu. You will need to set fuel from fsx menu in this case.

When you do complete flight, you should do all preflight in "manager&setup" too, but save plane in cold&dark state. Then, start fsx, select default cesnna, load the flight, shut down all engines and systems, avionics - all swiches to off. After that, select maddog, and you will have corectly loaded state, weights and fuel(like you configured in manager)

@@captain bligh, outdated in terms of graphics, yes. But in all other - systems, fde and some quirks of real plane, it's a years ahead of all recent releases

I thank you so very much, Zeljko. You know, I own the Coolsky MD-80 Super Pro, the PMDG 737NGX, and now the Maddog. Every one of them has a "required" way to start FSX before loading the A/C. The MD-80 had me load the default Cessna, the 737 has me start FSX with the Powered Hang Glider and then load the 737 with the 2D panel (and waiting for about 20 seconds before going to the VC), and now this Maddog has me configure each livery before I even START FSX, and then launch FSX, load the Cessna, power it off, and then load the C&D Maddog.

SO - I normally start FSX with the hang glider, and then:

1. Pick the airport and gate (usually my home base of KFLL)
  2. Set the time (usually the system time)
  3. Select the aircraft
  4. Fly Now!

The sim is set to start with the 2D panel (per the 737). I will leave it at that.  I always load the "real" aircraft in cold & dark mode, anyway, so that will stay the same. The idea that I have to configure the aircraft PRIOR TO launching FSX is strange, but - hey! - if everything works as it should...

Again, thanks for the tips. The manual doesn't cover the plane closely enough. I already had trouble figuring out how to load the AIRAC data. What next? Well, back to the sim...I was ready to un-install/re-install this thing until you answered my post. I'll be back to let you know what happens.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

1. The challenge is complete icing effects simulation, and complete engine failure simulation (hotstart, overheating by too much thrust, compressor stalls). None of the PMDG's or Level-D's have all that.

2. MD-82 - as well as B757 and B767 - are not glass cockpit. They have separate altitude and airspeed instruments. A glass cockpit is only one with a PFD that includes both airspeed and altitude measurement.

Regarding #1, from what I understand the 737NG and likely the 767 as well have EEC, which prevents certain engine issues such as hot starts and other operator error issues.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

@gpbarth, just one thing - you don't need to start manager&setup every time before you plan to use maddog, only when you want to change the livery. Every time when you select it in FSX, maddog will be in the last saved state, just remeber last saved livery becouse of virtual cockpit.

And you should go to manager&setup  when you do a full flight, becouse of preflight - FP, pax, fuel etc. 

You can use real world MD80 manuals, search by google or in maddog forum. There are some real MD80 FCOM's available - i remember continental airlines and TWA. This is a nice things about maddog, all procedures can be used and he  behaves awesome! 

I remember having a "Quick Start Guide" for the maddog, Dammed if I can find it now. I think it was written by Paul J, 

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I remember having a "Quick Start Guide" for the maddog, Dammed if I can find it now. I think it was written by Paul J, 

You've got a good memory, Mr. BadFinger! Here ya go..

:hi:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Ahh your the man, thanks Paul. :good:

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Just little detail about the maddog engine start for those reluctant about having or not this software... this aircraft is the only one in FS9 and FSX that will burn the engines, if the fuel lever are opened before N2 reaches 19%! The realism is just that great!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

A recurring comment is that the textures in the VC are a downside, or that the graphics are dated. What does this mean? The screenshots or videos don't look that bad, but it is hard to tell. What plane has comparable VC graphics? Similar comments have been made about the graphics of the MD11 and the Concorde X, but I don't find those cockpits offensive to the eye at all. On the other hand, I find the venerable LVD 767 is barely acceptable compared to more recent planes. If the NGX is said to have a beautiful cockpit, and the LVD is ugly, where does this MD80 rank by comparison?

It's similar to the Level D IMO, perhaps slightly better. Every switch is modelled in 3d, and every switch works, but the quality of the textures and the 3d model is not very good.

vatsim s3

1133704.png

In my opinion, the VC graphics are definitely better than the LVD767 but don't approach the quality of the NGX or the Majestic Dash Q400. Where you put the MD82 along that spectrum is completely subjective. That said, if you don't mind the VCs of the MD11 or the Concorde X, you should be satisfied with the Maddog VC.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Where you put the MD82 along that spectrum is completely subjective. That said, if you don't mind the VCs of the MD11 or the Concorde X, you should be satisfied with the Maddog VC.

I'd be careful there--I can't speak for the Concorde X but the quality of the Maddog VC is (in my, yes, completely subjective opinion) way, way below that of the MD11 both in technical sophistication and aesthetics. The number of really low-resolution textures and switches that just aren't shaped right is a big immersion killer, IMHO.

James

Just couldn't bring myself to hit "buy" yet again.  I think never have I wanted a plane so much, but was unable to commit at the last minute, every time.