Sign in to follow this  
Valar

The one thing I want from X-plane at this time

See, now you've done it. That one right there just made me hurl up my Stella Artois and kick the dog!

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

I've been wanting to write this post for a while now and here goes:

I really just want one thing from X-plane at this time: one area of the world, it doesn't have to be huge, with the same level of detail as an Orbx region.

I want landmarks, airports, seasonal changes, the whole she-bang. I want to be able to immerse myself in a corner of the world that looks real. I don't care if it is Egypt, Australia or PNW, it just has to be real. To feel reel...

X-plane is my favorite sim. It does so many things right and there is a lot of nice payware planes, but we need that one piece of scenery to rock the X-world.

PS. Alpilotx's New Zealand scenery is very nice, but it lacks landmarks and airports.

Developers: consider yourself encouraged :-)

Valar: (for lack of signature) I have been looking into X-10. I had 9 and basically threw it out. From what I have seen so far 10 is not that much different. Please explain when you say "It does so many things right"

Thanks,

Ron

Landmarks at orbx scenery quality level is not practical at this time what is needed something similar to fsx out of box for landmarks.   Think adding golf courses, baseball diamonds, football fields would help, as would having the main buildings like Sears Tower or IDS Tower, or something like St Louis Arch.   I am doing it myself with scenery adding landmarks as want to feel I have flown somewhere and does not look like the same place.  Think most mid-size and major cities should have 5-10 landmarks each. Just take 50 states and 10 provinces and take the main cities and add landmarks to them like even if a city only has 5 landmarks at some people will appericate something identify with that city.  Look at payware for like Las Vegas that recently came out if that was duplicated around 400 cities around USA and Canada with just 5 to landmarks in each city a developer would have base to build on with customers and immense the world. 

Valar: (for lack of signature) I have been looking into X-10. I had 9 and basically threw it out. From what I have seen so far 10 is not that much different. Please explain when you say "It does so many things right"

Altough I'm not Valar :P, I feel free to share some thoughts. When I was still an active real world glider pilot (and using FS9/FSX) there was already this discussion about "flying on rails". As long as I used FS9/FSX I couldn't see/feel this, as I was used to it and it felt right. Nevertheless, I started flying with X-Plane 8 around 2007 (one reason was the horrible performace of FSX). After getting used to the different UI (which by the way is more effective than the one in MSFS), I began to feel like I was really flying, and now understood this "flying on rails" thingy and never looked back (imagine - with X-Plane 8 !! ).

Other things X-Plane does right (some aspects are new in XP10, others are already there since years):

1. night lighting
  2. sun casts shadows in the cockpit - when you make a turn, the shadows wander around
  3. simulation of birdstrikes
  4. simulation of icing
  5. wake turbulences from planes flying in front of you (try the built in air refueling "mission")
  6. (heavy) turbulences within the clouds - in the red zone of a thunderstorm you will fall from the sky, even with an airliner. Try flying with the default FSX trike in a thunderstorm - what happens?
  7. flaps dismantling when you are too fast
  8. fluid animation of the instruments in the VC even in the default planes
  9. icy runways - you have a much longer braking distance
  10. very important for me as a former glider pilot: sideslip to reduce altitude when coming in too high
  11. quite realistic helicopter simulation (not the "fixed wing" helicopter like in the other sim)
  12. (heavy) asymetric thrust with engine failure
  13. no mesh addon required - HD mesh all over the world (altough there are some bugs in some places - but there's no difference to the other sim in this regard)
  14. no street addon required
  15. specular reflection of the cabin in the instruments (Carenado planes, maybe some others too)
  16. there are still some others - I have to write them down, as I can't keep them all in mind :lol:
  17. oh - and did I already say B)? The feeling of flying.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Thanks,

Ron

Hi Ron

Like Uwe said above me here, lots of stuff.

The most important however, as I came from P3D and FSX, is the fluid feeling I get from flying the plane. The effect of crosswinds for example is very satisfying. Another major thing is the eye candy. Cockpits just look way better in Xplane than FSX/P3D and that is simply because the rendering technology is more modern (HDR etc).

And, have tyou tried the TrueScenery offers?

With OSM + Autogem + Ortho and Mesh I believe we an easily outperform FSX with the products you mention, plus the fact that terrain around you will very plausiby influence some weather parameters in a way that is simply not possible to get so close to real in FSX... I know this is not the kind of stuff most look after, but for me I have even forget about the absence of seasonal textures in favor of the physic effects of landing / taking off from a contaminated RW...

Eye candy will increase with time, and much more 3pds will join this looong travel to the future! (must have been the red wine at lunch...)

Hey jcomm

I did as you suggested and I must agree that the implementation of auto-gen and orthos in the Helsinki area that Truscenery have made is quite extra-ordinary as are their airports. Thanks.

Btw, I posted a gameplay video of X-plane here where I talk a little about the sim etc. It is targeted at gamers who do not know flightsimulators. Beware however that the voice-over is in Danish. Sorry about that :-) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6bgwZ4P_04

Thanks: That is just what I was looking for. I have AS2012 and am getting tired of flying my 210 right down to landing in a severe storm with just a bump and no wind on the runway.

Thanks,

Ron

The most important however, as I came from P3D and FSX, is the fluid feeling I get from flying the plane.

Err, how could I forget this? :lol:  But for me it is such a normal thing since years that my flightsim is feeling fluid, I simply take it for granted ... like the sun is rising every morning and setting every night B).

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...