Sign in to follow this  
CapnCol

PSS777 and Windows 8

Dear all

I have upgraded my pc to a new machine that is based on windows 8 64bit system. I have FS9 and FSX working ok but having tried to get the PSS777 reinstalled from my back up, none of the instrument gauges appear to work. Can anyone tell me if this is an issue with my new system, as I would like to fly this plane again and will purchase it again if necessary or if I have missed something in the back up process?

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone tell me if this is an issue with my new system

Yes, it's called Windows 8. I can't tell simmers enough to stay away from this OS. FSX fars a little better but FS9 is not good with this version of Windows. You might have to start all over by getting W7 on your machine and then building FS9 back up.

For the record the PSS 777 is not supported anymore and wasn't designed for Windows 7 let alone W8. I have it working well under W7 but it truly was an XP release. If your going to continue to use FS9 like I do Windows 8 (8.1, Blue) is out of the question. We got lucking with W7 surprisingly and the 64Bit advantage has pushed performance over the top for all of us with machines no more than 3 years old. Many have reported improved performance using FSX in W8 but not all add-ons work. If you want to continue to use W8 you'll have to deal with some things not working. We actually have an issue like that with W7, none of the DreamFleet Reality XP gauges work. This has grounded much of my DreamFleet fleet until I find the time to purchase the latest Reality XP gauges that'll work in Windows 7. In the case of PSS's 777 there's no upgrade path for W8 nor will there ever be...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

We actually have an issue like that with W7, none of the DreamFleet Reality XP gauges work. This has grounded much of my DreamFleet fleet until I find the time to purchase the latest Reality XP gauges that'll work in Windows 7.

This is absolutely untrue - there is no issue with Win7; the issue is that the old 16 bit RXP gauges will not work on a 64 bit OS.  As a consequence, you must have the newer 32 bit versions for use on Win7 x64.

DJ

This is absolutely untrue - there is no issue with Win7; the issue is that the old 16 bit RXP gauges will not work on a 64 bit OS.  As a consequence, you must have the newer 32 bit versions for use on Win7 x64.

DJ

Maybe my wording was wrong although I thought I made it clear.  You are correct concerning the issue is the 16bit RXP gauges not W7.  Bottom line is some things don't just port over and work in a new OS environment for whatever reason.  The issue with W8 and the PSS 777 is entirely different, I was just pointing out unforeseen issues arise when using software designed for XP in a newer OS. 

When I think about it, it's actually a shame as advanced as the RXP gauges are they were coded in 16bit to begin with.  XP had a 64bit version and Vista came out with a 64Bit version.  Everyone knew back then we would eventually move to 64bit so why do anything around 2006 in 16bit?  Dreamfleet made their last add-on a little before W7 was released and Reality XP were still pushing 16bit gauges.  Some of these decisions boggle the mind...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Wish PSS would make a new updated 777 for FS9.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.