Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Windy in New Zealand - WELLINGTON Intl. (and some comments...)

This morning, after installing the New Zealand Pro scenery set from AlpilotX, I decided to pick my MU2 and go for a ride - a short circuit around NZWN

Well, it was (stil is) rather windy. METARs are now reporting 20033KT and the TAF reads 20035G45KT !!!

What  really one again found great about the scenery, the weather and in particular the airplane, was being able to takeoff and land, using the proper techniques !!!

Of course not all aircraft add-ons for XPX can handle takeoffs and even taxiing under such winds...

The scenery looks AMAZING!!!!!

The weather is UNIQUE in X-Plane10, sepcially under tough conditions!!!

The Aircraft ( MU2 ) is a MUST !!!

P.S.:  On well-designed aircraft for X-Plane10, of which the MU2 and the LES dc-3 are excellent examples, it's nice to find that there aren't even any "tricks" used (well, other than adjusting RoGs and control phase-out, which makes all sense...). I believe that precise data and feedback fro pilots helps a lot, and it proves out to be a success and makes the best characteristics of the sim flight dynamics shine :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Wait 'til you try JRollo's Jetstream, you're going to fall in love with it.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Wait 'til you try JRollo's Jetstream, you're going to fall in love with it.

Until you forget to trim a ridiculous amount for takeoff and it rolls over to the right for no valid reason :P.

it rolls over to the right for no valid reason

...but there is a valid reason!

If memory serves me right, both props rotate clockwise and as a result you will experience right roll on take off.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

...but there is a valid reason!

If memory serves me right, both props rotate clockwise and as a result you will experience right roll on take off.

Sorry if this makes me sound like a jerk, but that's all quite nice in theory, while the actual aircraft has no noticeable right roll on takeoff due to this torque effect (just to be clear, I fly them in RL). This is also why I kinda jump on opportunities to point out this flaw with the JRollon Jetstream.... It's a fine aircraft for X-Plane, just not all too realistic. And I believe jcomm is always on the hunt for realism :P

Sorry if this makes me sound like a jerk

Not at all, input from RW pilots are always welcome.

I'm not a RW pilot but I was under the impression that the centrifugal force generated by both engines spinning both props in the same direction would produce certain amount of roll cause of the torque effect.

Unless I'm wrong and one prop rotates CW and the other CCW.

Oh well you are the expert and so I will take your word for it.

thx for the input

Carlos

I learned to forget about this roll due to torque in XPX... at least until I understand the real reason why it is there. There must be a plausible reason, and I am sure some one from the team  ( LR ) will someday come up with a plausible justification for it...  Meanwhile I learned to enjoy the rest, the many other positive aspects in XPX ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Good job it was today.

Yesterday it was 140 kmh plus winds

All flights were cancelled most of the day.

Even the sea birds had trouble and had to be rescued with damaged wings.

Trevor Golding

I was under the impression that the centrifugal force generated by both engines spinning both props in the same direction would produce certain amount of roll cause of the torque effect.

Ouch, a lot of confusions, sorry. First, I don't know what centrifugal force you're talking about, but the popular "centrifugal force" that we feel when a car turns does not exist. We actually feel the inertia.

Second, did you really want to say "...roll, cause of the torque effect", or more rightly: "...roll, because of the torque effect" ?

And then, we've already discussed in great lengths what other effects come to play to counterbalance torque.