Sign in to follow this  
brucets

Auto Overclock in BIOS

I simply have not found a guide that I can fully understand to overclock my ASUS P8Z68-V PRO and SB i5-2500k. Therefore I have it auto oc'd to 4.2 in the bios. I have the Corsair Hydro Series H100 extreme performance liquid CPU cooler.

IN Paul Johnson's guide it is stated that auto overclock in the bios should never be used. My SB i5 2500k has been auto overclocked to 4.2 for  a year or more and I haven't had any problems. I have looked at the core voltage using CPUZ and it doesn't seem to get above 1.30. What am I risking??

Bruce

You have been lucky.  Not too many people are lucky with an auto OC.  I tried an auto OC and it worked for a month or two before crashing.  That was with my old ASUS P8P67 Deluxe and i7 2600K CPU.  Now I have the ASUS Z87 Deluxe with an i7 4770K and GTX 780 running FSX.  I'm sure there are others who have auto OC'd their systems and had no problems like you.  Pinned at the top of this forum are many OC'd systems and you might find one similar to the system you own.  I think you can use any ASUS P8 MB as a good guide for your overclocking.  If it doesn't work, you simply load the BIOS at startup and load your auto OC once again.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Bruce

Like you I have run auto overclock at 4.2GHz on an i7 2600K for well over a year and I have not suffered any dire consequences, and for nearly 3 years on an i7 860 ditto.

This could be yet another urban myth because if voltage settings were significant then the gaming forums and other forums besides avsim would be full of people who have had their cpu/mobo fried because they relied on auto settings in an overclock. 

4.2 GHz is a mild o/c for the 2600K/2500K and nothing should need changing from auto. I agree as the o/c gets higher you may need to tweak the voltages to ensure optimum running or saving on your power bill.

To my knowledge no one has carried out any research into whether a mobo/cpu lasts longer or is more stable with a manual setting vs an auto setting - if it was the case that a manual setting is better there would surely be advice in every mobo instruction booklet stating not to use an auto voltage setting.  Your psu may have more significance in maintaining voltages than any BIOS tweak. 

Modern BIOS are excellent at maintaining your PC in tip top condition so why override something that does a good job?

Just an opinion

pH

Jim - I think I'll leave it as is for now, but I'll try to find a more understandable guide as well. Thanks for your reply.

PH - Glad to hear your auto overclock has produced no ill effects.

Bruce

This could be yet another urban myth because if voltage settings were significant then the gaming forums and other forums besides avsim would be full of people who have had their cpu/mobo fried because they relied on auto settings in an overclock.

It is still important. I just got myself a Haswell system (4670K) and the last time I overclocked was on an E8400. So I used the Auto OC function to see which options in the BIOS are relevant these days. Auto OC profile to 4,6GHz wanted to put on 1,3V... using a voltage like that could have the CPU running way too hot and throttling it back or just being unstable. So while it may not immediately fry the CPU, it's something to keep an eye on.

For now, I've settled on using the Auto OC as an easy reference and adjusting from there. Running 4,6GHz @ 1,23V which means the 1,3V was quite excessive for my chip.

Auto overclock can be fine.

However... if you are pushing the auto overclock to it's max you could be in trouble.

I have an i7 3770K with a P8Z 77V-Deluxe. I tried the Asus auto overclock feature myself.

The damn thing pushed my CPU all the way up to 4.7 GHz. And if you know anything about Ivy Bridge you will know that great care is required with high overclocks.

In Aida 64 the temps were well into the 90's. If I had been running something like Prime 95 I would have been in a shut down scenario.

However, I have to say, the Asus OC utility does give you the option to stop prior to the max overclock, well worth doing as it's excessive. But then on the other hand it stupidly reverts back to default clocks when you reboot.

So yes, the auto OC can be fine, but great care is required. Don't trust it fully during the procedure, as in the case of my Asus version, can go mental and push you into territory you shouldn't go.