Sign in to follow this  
skully

Flight Simulator Firsts

Most of you weren't even a glimmer in your Daddies eye when them were around. :)

This video has been on YouTube for a couple of years now, but if it wasn't for this guy we wouldn't have FSX today:

Matthew Kane

FS2K4 - Level-D's pioneering of accurate cockpit ambiance and sounds.

Level-D was the first add-on to accurately put together a sound package that depicted sounds in the cockpit versus sitting over the engines in the cabin. Before Level-D's 767 everyone was designing their sound files as if one was in the cabin over the wings. People actually complained about Level-D's work at first thinking the engines sounded too low from within the cockpit. After we figured it out that this was truly accurate we all were impressed for the attention to detail never before seen. Wind noise is more prevalent than engine noise in all cockpits especially the one's with rear mounted engines. Even today sound makers in our community struggle with depicting this correctly. I still hear sound packages allowing one to hear the APU in the cockpit (which can't be heard in the cabin let alone the cockpit), flap movement, and excessive engine noise to name a few.

If it wasn't for Level-D things would be allot worse in the cockpit sound department. After Level-D's 767 we got PMDG to refine their sound package for the 744 (allot of forum protesting).

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

FS2k2 - Dreamfleet

Their 737 was the next step up from the FS2000 Wilco 767PIC add-on. It helped set the stage for what we've come to expect from payware to this day. With only 2D panels in this era it was a breakthrough that was an act to follow for everyone else.

- FSGenesis 

This was the first company to specialize in mesh for Flight Simulator.  

FS2k4 - Eaglesoft

This was the first developer to open up the world of coorporate aviation to the FS world. Before them was only prop planes and airliners. Eaglesoft was the first developer to specialize in detailed private jets as their specialty. No one since has bought us better jets like the Citation X. Carenado has stepped in the ring with their Cirrus but Eaglesoft pioneered advanced avionics in GA aircraft with their rendition of the Cirrus.

- Ariane

Aka Papa Tango of FS98/2000 fame holds the record for the worst company to do business with (a first in this community). This group was the first to lock their add-ons down to a point activation was a chore instead of a simple process. This is the first company to blatantly over price and overstate their add-ons and truly turn off the FS community with their history of trying to license the AA logo for their exclusive use.

- Perfect Flight

This company shamelessly sells sub standard freeware quality add-ons and was the first to do so with success. We all have wondered how in the world these guys are still in business.

FS2020 

FS2000 - 767PIC by Wilco: First MSFS Boeing add-on (to my knowledge)  to implement LNAV - VNAV - Autoland - system simulation/interaction and failures. Same dev. team who made Level D 767 for FS9.

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

FS2k4 - Interactive Virtual cockpits

I said detailed above but VC's were fully realized in FS9 where one could use them exclusively without the need for a 2D panel.  This was huge as one could fly the aircraft with the same perspective as sitting in the real cockpit.  No longer did one have the whole panel in their face and one's eyes could be focused over the glare shield and look down when one needs to reference the gauges.  With TrackIR one could practice real world scanning techniques of not only the cockpit but the world outside and properly do pattern work.

FS2020 

FS2k2 - Autgen (instead of flat ground trees and buildings populate the ground as you fly along)

I first saw this realized in combat games in the 90's like JSF.

FS2020 

FS2k2 - Autgen (instead of flat ground trees and buildings populate the ground as you fly along)

I first saw this realized in combat games in the 90's like JSF.

The first time I remember seeing autogen was MS's Crimson Skies.