Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

New post from Steve on his WordPress site...

Is that not tied to Sparse Grid Supersampling in Nvidia Inspector? Does it have an impact on FSX performance?

That depends on what the device driver does with the information and how NVidia Inspector will handle it. I've tried various combinations of values along with NVidia Inspector and eventually settled on these as looking the best with acceptable performance (above 30 fps). How these values are used by FSX I can't say without access to source code, but when setting up DX10/11 one will specify:

DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC

(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb173075(v=vs.85).aspx)

Within that Structure you'll specify:

DXGI_SAMPLE_DESC

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb173072(v=vs.85).aspx

Count = multisamplesperpixel

Unit = MultiSampleQuality

Important: If multi-sample antialiasing is being used, all bound render targets and depth buffers must have the same sample counts and quality levels.

Then call to: D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain with an instance of DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC (along with other parameters).

So we have something like:

FSX.EXE --> D3D --> Device Driver

As far as NVidia Inspector I'm guessing it does the following when a profile is setup for FSX.EXE:

FSX.EXE --> D3D --> NVidia Inspector --> Device Driver

EDIT: I'm not suggesting NVidia Inspector is actively running, just setting up the driver to do XYZ when FSX.EXE is detected in a running thread, then the driver will operate per profile ... my assumption is the driver will then translate the parameters in the D3D calls to it.

Sorry I can't really answer your question, it will be as it always has been ... trial and error sadly. I just don't know how FSX makes these calls and what the code may or may not be translating the values to nor how NVidia Inspector will setup the Device Driver to translate the values (assuming that what NVidia Inspector does).

I have a hunch that FSX DX10 isn't correctly going thru DXGIFactory or it's just hard coded a limit for AA under the assumption a DX10 card MUST be able to support 4X in order to be compliant to DX10 spec -- MultiSampleQuality value 1 = None, 2 = 1X, 3 = 2X, 4=4X, 5=8X , ... but FSX is capping value at 4. Just a hunch, again no source code to confirm.

Rob

Speaking of matching, I'd appreciate an opinion on a move I'm thinking of. I have an I5-3550P on a ASRock B75M Mobo. It's pared with a GTX 660. The processor and chip set can't be over clocked. I was thinking of moving to an I5-3570K on a Z77 mobo and OC it. Is this a wothwhile move? Would the GTX 660 pair up okay with the processor or would it get dusted?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Wow! Apparently a thread-killing post. Never mind. I can't delete it so just ignore it. I'll post over in the hardware area. :-)

Carry on gentlemen!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Wow! Apparently a thread-killing post. Never mind. I can't delete it so just ignore it. I'll post over in the hardware area.

I don't have and have not used any of the hardware items you've listed so can't really comment.  If you are thinking best DX10 hardware then I've had good success with GTX 680 and the Titan, but from what I read the 780 and the 770 are also good choices.  You can get an OC'd 780 that will perform as well as the Titan for $300 less ... less the RAM and floating point.

One Option:

For CPU I'd go with Intel 3930X ($570) OC to 4.6Ghz on basic water with no voltage change, very stable

For motherboard I'd go with Asus P9X79 ($240) - quad channel

Two Option:

Intel CPU 4770K ($339)

Asus Z87 based motherboard ($100-$400) - dual channel

sooo....any word from Steve on his Wordpress site? :P

I don't have and have not used any of the hardware items you've listed so can't really comment.  If you are thinking best DX10 hardware then I've had good success with GTX 680 and the Titan, but from what I read the 780 and the 770 are also good choices.  You can get an OC'd 780 that will perform as well as the Titan for $300 less ... less the RAM and floating point.

One Option:

For CPU I'd go with Intel 3930X ($570) OC to 4.6Ghz on basic water with no voltage change, very stable

For motherboard I'd go with Asus P9X79 ($240) - quad channel

Two Option:

Intel CPU 4770K ($339)

Asus Z87 based motherboard ($100-$400) - dual channel

Thanks for the response Rob.

The more I dig in to this, the more daunting and expensive it becomes. Basically I need to upgrade everything... and with that, it looks like I'll even have to purchase a new copy of the OS since it appears the OEM version sold with the PC is linked to the motherboard and not transferable (according to MS license).

I'm actually pretty happy with the system now and if/when the FTX Global DX10 problem is solved, I'll likely punt UTX lighting and GEX, which should actually buy me back some cycles. I think I'll just put this on hold and wait for all the sales on the 3770K systems out there as people upgrade. :-)

Also not wishing  to hijack the thread, OB.......  you might just find an i7-2600K or a 2700K - both these have the ability to run at 5.0GHz, and will drop right in that board. Neither your ram, gpu or hard drive - nor the OS need to change. The only extra you might want - and you'd do that anyway - is to re-do the proc cooler. Check out NCIX, Canada Computes, Newegg.ca and Infonec. 

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I think I may have missed it, so hopefully someone (I'm guessing Paul) can answer.  I know Steve's upcoming tool (and maybe updated shader file release to Avsim?) will fix the new lighting in FTX Global.  What I haven't heard or maybe missed is if it fixes the vector lights on the roads similar to what is used in their PNW addon where the lights flicker on and off in DX10 mode.  I'm really wanting to fly with the lights on now after seeing all the awesome screenshots but I may have to abandon DX10 mode if there's not a fix for those particular lights :(

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

They're fixed, Fly, along with dozens of other fixes and additions - like slow snow....  :lol:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi,

I havent posted on AVSIM in ages, but I came across the DX10 fixer in another thread and wanted to post kudos to Steve for this tool.

I want to echo the thanks of the community for this set of fixes and packaging them up in an easy to access tool. This certainly takes the DX10 implementation much further and much closer to what we intended before the schedule got cut on us.

So thanks Steve!

Phil

PS, Its hard to realize that in January we get the 5 year anniversary of Microsofts' decision to close the studio and cancel the game. Got to thank Phil Spencer for that one again.

Hi,

I havent posted on AVSIM in ages, but I came across the DX10 fixer in another thread and wanted to post kudos to Steve for this tool.

I want to echo the thanks of the community for this set of fixes and packaging them up in an easy to access tool. This certainly takes the DX10 implementation much further and much closer to what we intended before the schedule got cut on us.

So thanks Steve!

Phil

PS, Its hard to realize that in January we get the 5 year anniversary of Microsofts' decision to close the studio and cancel the game. Got to thank Phil Spencer for that one again.

Hello Phil

This is a true honor.

Hope it is welcome back.

Your name is right up there with Bruce Artwick and Bill Gates Himself, Phil!

We have you and your team to thank for taking the sim as far as you possibly could, and our only regret is that you're not still there, fiercely working at DX11and tessellation, and multi-threaded rendering and optimising FS11 for Multi-core processors and, and, and, and....

Seriously - you're right - Steve got involved, did a lot of digging, and is now revitalizing FSX!

Sometime in the next few weeks we're going to have a new application on the market, no name for it, yet, but FSX DX10 Scenery Fixer is close for now.

Thank you for your visit, tonight. As Ramon said - this is a true honor.  :drinks: 

All the very Best,

pj

Hi,

So thanks Steve!

Phil

MS made a big mistake. MS missed out on a lot of revenue opportunities as evidenced by all the add on's that have come out over the years since the closure of the studio. I am so glad to see you come out and recognize Steve for his efforts in extending DX10 Preview and this tool is shaping up to be a game changer. Your own words sum up all he has worked so hard to achieve. In particular "This certainly takes the DX10 implementation much further and much closer to what we intended before the schedule got cut on us."

I have never been one to gush but what the heck. I would like to extend a thanks to you directly for the last three years of fun and learning FSX has provided me (and my friends) personally. I have met some great people in this hobby (on line and at the local airport) from which many long term real relationships have resulted and it's all because of the work the ACES team did. Without FSX/ESP I would never have met any of these people or moved towards the world of aviation at all. It is truly the nucleus to this entire flight sim hobby universe and community not to meantion a gateway drug to GA. And no doubt this product has been a positive force in the lives of people in the thousands upon thousands over the years. You have much to be proud of.

Hopefully I start my PPL ground school next spring. :)

Thank you.

Charles.

I will echo the sentiments of Paul and Kabronicus, what an honor and welcome. 

It sure would be interesting to see where we would be had the company not pulled the plug on the franchise but we are doing pretty well with the likes of the developers and the people that remain in the community.

It is a wonderful hobby and I wouldn't leave it for anything, I'm sure that I speak for many people within our community that say many thanks to you and your former team.

Stay well and check back in once in a while.

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

Seriously - you're right - Steve got involved, did a lot of digging, and is now revitalizing FSX!

Agree 100%, without Steve's fixes to DX10 I wouldn't be using DX10 and would be in the eternal land of frustration with OOMs under DX9.  I still have to make compromises, but not as many.

In many ways, without Steve's help, my "re-interest" in FSX would not have happened.  Big thanks to Steve's fixes.  Actually I think it was Paul that introduced me to Steve's fixes ... so big thank you there also.

I havent posted on AVSIM in ages

Hope to see more of you then ;)

Cheers, Rob.