Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

Downtown Calgary being Evacuated, Hundreds of Thousands Effected

I was in Winnipeg following the red river flooding and the river walk was still under water at that time. Amazing to me that Calgary didn't invest and they had the money to do so, just not the political motivation to take on an infrastructure project of that size.

Same could be said about Toronto following Hurricane Hazel, today they have built a series of dikes and control dams to protect that city as well, the largest one at Finch and Dufferin area to control water coming in from the Oak Ridges Moraine, and this is a city of lower flood risk compared to Calgary but they made those projects happen back in the 1950's.

Matthew Kane

Amazing to me that Calgary didn't invest and they had the money to do so, just not the political motivation to take on an infrastructure project of that size.

The difference, at least compared to Winnipeg, is that we haven't had flooding this extreme since 1932 (I believe). 2005 was one of the worst in decades, but it only really affected homes immediately along the rivers and maybe the next row inland. This year entire communities were inundated and I know of at least a few houses that will need to be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up. See the article below to get an idea of the sheer volumes of the rivers and how far out of the normal range they were.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/06/22/graphic-bow-elbow-and-highwood-flowing-five-to-10-times-normal-rate/

This video gives a good overview of the flooding of the inner city and downtown areas.

Maybe this time more will be done. However, the provincial budget was already strained and many departments had major cuts, so politics will quickly come into it.

The difference, at least compared to Winnipeg, is that we haven't had flooding this extreme since 1932 (I believe).

That is just it.....If it has happened before then it was inevitable it was going to happen again. Politicians just have a hard time justifying an infrastructure project before something happens. This is a case of too little too late.

Where I live their has been enormous spending on earthquake strengthening that has had an effect on the local economy during a global recession, spending went forward any ways and many local business have suffered through this time due to slow economy and forced to spend money on expensive retrofits, The last earthquake in Wellington was 1855, next would could be 150 years away still, but the recent quakes in Christchurch has made earthquake strengthening a priority in other regions here, just in case.

When the job is done and the economy recovers it will be better but it was a case of very bad timing to do that sort of work right now. If we did get an earthquake in the next 10 years we would be that much more ready for it.

Matthew Kane

After the floods in Calgary in 2005 the Province and City did a study that concluded that $300 million of dikes and other changes would prevent the sort of damage that happened. Of course that looked like a huge price tag at the time, and then the economic mess happened, so almost nothing was done. Now we're looking at billions in damage.

Politicians like ribbon cutting ceremonies a levy system does not provide a good backdrop for it like new road or light rail train project.  Surprised it happen this late because most floods happen in April and May when the snow and ice is melting. They were using TNT and dyamnite in North Dakota couple years to ago to blow ice sheets on the rivers to keep it from clogging up dams, bridges, railroad crossing call it damage prevention.  The damage from flood sucks its means getting it from the insurance and trusting the person fixing your basement is not gonna take you to the cleaners. 

Best of luck to our Canadian friends. I always enjoyed Calgary and really like Alberta. Meanwhile, we in Central Texas couldn't buy a rain. Lake Travis is down 42 feet.

Best of luck to our Canadian friends. I always enjoyed Calgary and really like Alberta. Meanwhile, we in Central Texas couldn't buy a rain. Lake Travis is down 42 feet.

I'm from Calgary. Really crappy for those effected. Up on the North end by the airport really nothing as we are high ground. City is going to have the Stampede grounds ready for the biggest outdoor show on Earth. The Calgary Stampede! I hope so. The Saddledome arena was full of water up to row 10. The grounds were submerged in several feet of water and sludge a day ago. Stampede is in 2 weeks.

Hardest hit IMO was High River CEN4. Airport was untouched as it was high enough and far enough from the Highwood River. 3 deaths there.

C.

All nine of my kids, grandchildren and family in Calgary are safe, in areas that were high enough to avoid the river. I had a tense night or two! I spent 30 years in Alberta, with most of it in Calgary and Medicine Hat, so the whole things seems very personal. If I were within driving distance instead of 3,000 miles away, I would be down volunteering at the cleanup sites instead of working on the computer!

All nine of my kids, grandchildren and family in Calgary are safe, in areas that were high enough to avoid the river. I had a tense night or two!

Good news Stephan

All nine of my kids, grandchildren and family in Calgary are safe, in areas that were high enough to avoid the river. I had a tense night or two! I spent 30 years in Alberta, with most of it in Calgary and Medicine Hat, so the whole things seems very personal. If I were within driving distance instead of 3,000 miles away, I would be down volunteering at the cleanup sites instead of working on the computer!

9 kids?! Wow. Any of them with the sim bug like pappa?

C.

9 kids?! Wow. Any of them with the sim bug like pappa?

C.

Let me rephrase that: Nine of my family, including kids and grandchildren..,

If I were within driving distance instead of 3,000 miles away, I would be down volunteering at the cleanup sites instead of working on the computer!

Good news, Stephen! Having seen what happened to both the major cross-country highway and the rail tracks, I suppose I shouldn't plan my "Trans-Canada" train ride this year, eh?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ya. The wife and I spend the day at one of the high schools helping with refugee registrations and processing those displaced citizens. Our site was not very busy though. Next week were hooking up with YYC groups to go spend a day doing cleanup and hopefully another one doing a day at the Stampede grounds cleanup/setup.

Feels good getting in there and lending a hand. If I could have I would have helped more but it was hard to find where to go.

Anyone that wants to can donate to the Southern Alberta Flood at the Red Cross website. Fill your boots!

C.

Anyone that wants to can donate to the Southern Alberta Flood at the Red Cross website. Fill your boots!

Any direct links to local hands on direct assist organizations that are worthy, or local Red Cross or Salvation Army?

Kind regards,

I suppose I shouldn't plan my "Trans-Canada" train ride this year, eh?

Well, the VIA trains go through Edmonton to the north, so you should probably be okay. ;)

Spent all day yesterday hauling stuff out of a basement. Sad to see so many things ruined by the water. The streets were lined with piles of garbage and things like hot water tanks and furnaces.

Any direct links to local hands on direct assist organizations that are worthy, or local Red Cross or Salvation Army?

Kind regards,

Here's a website with volunteer links.

http://www.yychelps.ca/

A Facebook group has been started too.

https://www.facebook.com/events/548675025188171/

The City of Calgary has a volunteers section on their site, though no new requests for help yet.

http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2013/06/volunteers.html

I suppose I shouldn't plan my "Trans-Canada" train ride this year, eh?

I wouldn't worry about this flood, Canada is the worlds second largest land mass and this flood has only flooded less then 1% of it. That rail line does cross the Bow River in Saskatoon. There are Hydro-Electric dams and control dams between Calgary and Saskatoon so not sure if Saskatoon will be at risk or not but I would bet that train passes over the Bow River in Saskatoon with no problem at all. 

Matthew Kane