Sign in to follow this  
conrex1

B200 ADF and VOR Navigation Problem.

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the Carenado B200 King Air and I'm quickly getting use to it's systems in the cockpit. However there are a few navigation issues I'm having and would love some advice or help. 

Whenever I type in a VOR code, and are in limits of range my aircraft never seems to follow it, nor ADF. I'm not to sure what 'PRE, ACT or XFR' are on the course knob, but I'm convinced it's something to do with my problem. 

I'm doing everything else correct (I think) with the active bearing points, and I understand how the course control symbol works. I'm also pressing the 'NAV' button with my autopilot, but nothing seems to happen and my aircraft will just fly straight not turning towards the VOR/ADF.

If anyone could help me with this matter it would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you,

Conner :) 

OK, a couple of things.. flying towards an ADF has to be done manually in HDG mode, just like any other aircraft..

Flying towards a VOR, requires three steps:

- GPS in VLOC mode, not GPS mode

- VOR tuned in on the active NAV1 radio

- CDI deviation bar centered

You should see a CDI deviation on the HSI as you turn the CRS knob, if the VOR is tuned in.

Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your reply.

My problem is all sorted now. Thanks for your help :-).

I do have one question. Is DME the same as ADF in terms of flying with normal heading with the autopilot ?

Thanks again,

Conner :-)

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just got this bird last night and was wondering about adjusting CRS and HDG from the pilot's side manual CDI. There appears to be no knobs except on the copilot side and they only adjust the digital CDI. Is this how all Kingair are? Or am I just missing something?

See the highlighted area for reference. http://imgur.com/FklpAGz

FklpAGz.jpg

To add to Bert's answer, you can use the push buttons on the RMI to select different NAV stations and sources.  You could have one needle pointing at an NDB (the ADF is the radio that receives the freq from the NDB) for now just know that one, or both of those arrows point at either an NDB, VOR, COMBO, or BOTH.  What that is helpful for is station passage of a Locator Outer Marker on the Instrument Landing System.

Normally you'd have one needle pointing at the LOM the other one pointing to the ILS on the ground.  OR you could use the other needle to point at a nearby VOR in order to establish a FIX (Intersection of a cross radial and the final approach course of an ILS) along in instrument approach in case of no outer marker, inner marker, or LOM as the case may be.

Now with the advent of GPS and Garmin 530s as we have in the B200 this sort of instrument is really not used as primary but as backup to the GPS as you have a lot better situational awareness with a moving GPS map.

I like an RMI as that was a really nice piece of equipment if you know how to use it, and you do not have a GPS.

Respectfully,

Jet

It sort of appears not me that you are looking for the CDI and HDG knobs to be co-located on the HSI.  They are not.  They are located on the autopilot panel (SHIFT 4).  And yes that is how almost every King Air B200 is setup.  

Respectfully,

Jet