Thanks Dave, I decided to try a completely new CFG. I backed up my old one and let FSX make a new one, I then added ONLY HIGHMEMFIX=1, and tweaked my GFX settings in the FSX UI. Now I plan on going back and tweaking Bufferpools as well as putting my Texture_Bandwith to where you said. I did get a performance boost by reloading my CFG file, so hopefully these tweaks will help further improve my FPS. 

I'll post back with an update after I do some testing!!

Excellent!  Stay away from all those tweaks (I might agree to Bufferpools but I would try it disabled and then with it enabled to see if there is any noticeable difference).  Highmemfix is actually a fix and not a tweak.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well here is my update:

After rebuilding my CFG, getting my settings all near where they were before, I'm not seeing any improvement in FPS. I turned weather to Heavy Thunderstorms to see if maybe that would stress my GPU some more, to no avail. My GPU is actually using LESS memory than it was before. I've got some SERIOUS CPU bottlenecking issues here. I've noticed my FPS is very reasonable until I actually pan across or look directly towards the terminal at my payware airports. Then it drops by almost 10fps. Right now I'm averaging about 12FPS at FlyTampa Seattle, which is not a huge airport or as well detailed as LAX or some of my other fields. However, Seattle is usually a pretty intensive area so I decided to do some tests here with my weather going crazy to try to stress my GPU more. Nothing. Tested in the NGX as well as Airbus X Extended. I'd really prefer not to have to do an OS reinstall to get improved FPS, I defragged last night, cleaned up the registry, etc. My FSX seems to be running WAY slower than it should be with my specs, I know I don't have the nicest specs out there by any means but I'm fairly positive my pc can handle FSX at more than 10fps. Something isn't right here and I can't seem to figure it out. 

You need to take it one step at a time. Jumping around leads to confusion. The first 2 steps tell whether your computer is able to run FSX at high fps levels. With a new cfg, I get 130+ fps at default flight. Jim says hie new Haswell gets over 200.

1. What was the fps with the new cfg at default fligft?

2. What was the fps reading after you moved the frame slider from 20 to unlimited?

Your cpu might be overtemping and throttled back. FSX tweaking will not overcome problems like this. A complete reinstall will probably be a waste of time. I have had FSX runing on four computers (XP32, Vista32, Vista64, and Win764) and have never had to do a reinstall.

Dave

I feel BP=0 would have worked for your old 1Gb card as it does for mine, if you had reduced the data being fed directly to the GPU to a level that could be handled. Lower frame rate, lower Autogen, lower resolution.

Frame rate was too low already -- my benchmark is at UK2000's EGLL with realistic weather and decent amounts of AI. I don't use much autogen in any case, and the reslution has to be 1080P to get scenery looking decent on my 10 feet wide projector screen. I don't have any cockpit panels slowing things down either, it's all scenery. Currently, with BP=0 I get between 15 and 30 fps at EGLL depending on which way I look. It's about the minimum acceptable. This is with an i5 overclocked to 4.8 GHz.

Once EGLL is "acceptable" I normally hit my limiter (30 fps) everywhere else.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Frame rate was too low already -- my benchmark is at UK2000's EGLL with realistic weather and decent amounts of AI. I don't use much autogen in any case, and the reslution has to be 1080P to get scenery looking decent on my 10 feet wide projector screen. I don't have any cockpit panels slowing things down either, it's all scenery. Currently, with BP=0 I get between 15 and 30 fps at EGLL depending on which way I look. It's about the minimum acceptable. This is with an i5 overclocked to 4.8 GHz. Once EGLL is "acceptable" I normally hit my limiter (30 fps) everywhere else. Pete

I have the same experience Pete.

Brick, the performance you describe seems odd compared to your hardware, i think it could run a little better. Quickly glanced at your fsx.cfg and can't see anything weird. As Jim suggested, less is more, especially when starting out with a new config. But it seems you already tried that, so i'll make some suggestions anyway after i compared it to mine. And again, I don't get a steady 30 FPS in every situation either, only in the sky.

Try flying in a smaller plane in the same airports instead of the NGX and check the FPS, if that too won't make much of a difference, then there must be something wrong. I'll report back in a couple of minutes.

Edit: Ok, a couple of observations, but nothing big:

1) You should try setting road traffic to zero. Even at 1% you'll notice a fps hit. It's too bad, but it should help you a bit.

2) The line FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33 is doing nothing, because 0.33 is the default value. You could delete this entry if setting it to 0.1 (or mybe 0.15 or 0.20) doesn't help. It's not in the fsx.cfg by default, so its only useful if you want a different value than 0.33. Again, supposedly this tweak is not useful anymore with a multiple cores CPU, but some ppl still swear by it, and it might be that the Affinitymask setting renders it useful again.

3) AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1 AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1: You could try setting both to 0, just to see if it helps if you are willing to give them up.

4) TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=200 | This seems too high, default is 40 and personally i never used this sttings for tweaking. I've tried, but never really seen results. A value of 200 seems too high and might do you harm. I suggest setting this to a safe 40 or 80.

5) TextureMaxLoad=6 //was 3 | This one is in the same 'area' as the above line, i think they are both part of the same mechanism and should work together. Currently i have set this to 21 i believe. I recently tested with different settings, (from 6 to 30) but didn't notice any impact on FPS. This is weird, because i cleary remember getting more FPS out of this line set to 30. But that was back when i used DX9. Which leads me to:

6) Please try the DX10 fix. If you experience shimmering you might have made an error in applying Steve's shaderfix. If you see bad or no anti-aliassing, check what Jim said about that. You need to set 'antialias=1' in FSX as well as 'anisotropic=1'. Tweaking in Nvidia Inspector might get you even better looking AA, but I wouldn't worry about that right now.

7) AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4 | Set this to 2. If you have nice scenery, you won't really miss having much autogen. This has a big impact on FPS, so you might want to lower this.

8) ALLOW_SHADER_30=1 | I have deleted this entry after going to DX10. I don't know if this should any impact on performance though...

9) IMAGE_QUALITY=0 | I have this set to 1. But honestly i can't remember what this does, i just noticed it set to 0 in your config. Might be good, i really don't know.

10) I see you have set FPS to unlimited. This is fine, but i would advise getting an external frame limiter set to 30.

11) MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=3 and SmallPartRejectRadius=4.0 | I remember removing these lines at some point, but i don't remember why. You might want to google these and see what they do.

12) Try water_effects at mid.2X (which is WATER_EFFECTS=5 in the config)

13) Your current LOD_RADIUS is set to 6.5 Might want to switch back to the default 4.5.

Again, I don't think my suggestions will be your holy grail, but it's stuff you can try. And please hang on to DX10, because it does a better job of running on modern hardware. Again, not the holy grail, but it helps.

Anyway, goodluck!

I've got some SERIOUS CPU bottlenecking issues here.

You might want to make sure you have installed the heap limitation fix.  It gives your system a bit more breathing room.  If you have a lot of fsx programs running in the background, this should help - - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Frame rate was too low already -- my benchmark is at UK2000's EGLL with realistic weather and decent amounts of AI. I don't use much autogen in any case, and the reslution has to be 1080P to get scenery looking decent on my 10 feet wide projector screen. I don't have any cockpit panels slowing things down either, it's all scenery. Currently, with BP=0 I get between 15 and 30 fps at EGLL depending on which way I look. It's about the minimum acceptable. This is with an i5 overclocked to 4.8 GHz.

Once EGLL is "acceptable" I normally hit my limiter (30 fps) everywhere else.

Pete

Oh right.

In my case I have pretty basic requirements. I don't go in for third party add-on airports, and keep AI low out of preference. Consequently I have very high frame rate with my GTX580 and 3770K at 4.5 GHz. I tend to keep sliders set to a reasonable level too. Still looks good to me though.

I guess I have plenty of latitude in terms of frame rate lock. 60 with the i7920 and BP=0 resulted in stutters. Just knocked it back to 50 and all fine for the 3770K.

It's currently still locked at 50, and pretty much no stutters, nice and smooth. NGX nocks it down a tad, sometimes to high twenties with heavy weather, but only on the ground and briefly. I commonly fly around at 50 FPS in the Majestic Q400.

Thanks again guys. I tried Steve's DX10 tweaks yesterday but I could NOT get AA or AF to work so I turned it back off. I'm going to try reinstalling it and giving it another try. I'll also post my new CFG here:

JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14

[bufferPools]
//UsePools=0
BufferPools=1
PoolSize=90000000
RejectThreshold=126976 //512Kb = 524288, 256Kb = 262144, 124Kb = 126976, 96Kb = 98304

[GRAPHICS]
ForceFullScreenVsync=1
HIGHMEMFIX=1
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458432
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458432
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 (SHD)
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=1
D3D10=0

[sOUND]
AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000
PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
SOUND=1
SOUND_QUALITY=2
SOUND_LOD=0
UISound=1
AmbientUI=0
SOUND_FADER1=0.600000
SOUND_FADER2=0.730000
SOUND_FADER3=0.600000
SOUND_FADER4=0.500000
AmbientUIMusic=FSX01

[Display]
ChangeTime=4.000000
TransitionTime=4.000000
ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64
NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64
InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0
InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0
InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoBrakesEnable=True
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True
InfoPauseEnable=True
InfoSlewEnable=True
InfoStallEnable=True
InfoOverspeedEnable=True
BLOOM_EFFECTS=0
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30
WideViewAspect=True

[Main]
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.6=MyTraffic\Aircraft
ProcSpeed=9000
PerfBucket=7
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1
Location=440,130,1480,908,\\.\DISPLAY1
Maximized=1
DisablePreload=1
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1

[PANELS]
IMAGE_QUALITY=1
QUICKTIPS=1
PANEL_OPACITY=100
PANEL_MASKING=1
PANEL_STRETCHING=1
UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0
DEFAULT_VIEW=0

[Weather]
WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1
MinGustTime=10
MaxGustTime=500
MinGustRampSpeed=1
MaxGustRampSpeed=200
MinVarTime=5
MaxVarTime=50
MinVarRampSpeed=10
MaxVarRampSpeed=75
TurbulenceScale=1.000000
WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com
WeatherServerPort=80
WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0
AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1
DynamicWeather=0
DownloadWindsAloft=0
DisableTurbulence=0
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=4
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8
THERMAL_VISUALS=0

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti.0]
Mode=1920x1080x32
Trilinear=1

[CONTROLS]
Controls_Default=Standard
Controls_Current=Standard
KBDAIL=64
KBDELEV=64
KBDRUD=64

[TextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6

[TextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
GForce=1,3
FuelPercentage=1,4

[TextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
GForce=2,3
FuelPercentage=2,4
[slewTextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5

[slewTextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2

[slewTextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2

[DynamicHeadMovement]
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000
MaxHeadAngle=5.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.300000
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000

[VirtualCopilot]
VirtualCopilotActive=0

[uSERINTERFACE]
PageID=1
OpenATCOnCreate=0
SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0
PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0
PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
SITUATION=FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM
Map_Orientation=2
ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1
SelectAircraftManufacturer=All
SelectAircraftPublisher=All
SelectAircraftType=All

[ATC]
ShowATCText=0
COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFF
COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6
COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21B
COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00
COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840
AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=0
UsePilotVoice=0
PilotVoice=0

[PointOfInterestSystem]
CycleSetting=0

[sCENERY]
LENSFLARE=1
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=3

[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=30
GADensity=15
FreewayDensity=0
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=14
LeisureBoatsDensity=14
IFROnly=0
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=3

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=80
MESH_RESOLUTION=23
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=27
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=1
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=5
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1000 //4500 default
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000 //3000 default

[AContain]
ShowLabels=1
ShowUserLabel=0
ShowLabelManufacturer=1
ShowLabelModel=1
ShowLabelTailNumber=0
ShowLabelDistance=1
ShowLabelAltitude=1
ShowLabelAirline=0
ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0
ShowLabelFlightPlan=0
ShowLabelContainerId=0
ShowLabelAirspeed=0
ShowLabelHeading=0
LabelDelay=1000
LabelColor=FFFF0000

[iNTERNATIONAL]
ASLAT=2
ASLON=1
MEASURE=0

[REALISM]
PFactor=1.000000
Torque=1.000000
GyroEffect=1.000000
CrashTolerance=1.000000
General=1.000000
UnlimitedFuel=False
TrueAirspeed=False
AutoCoord=False
RealMixture=False
StressDamage=False
GEffect=True
ManualLights=True
GyroDrift=True
CrashWithDyn=True
CrashDetection=True
AutoTrim=False

[sIM]
SYSCLOCK=1

[sTARTUP]
DEMO=0
SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1
STARTUP_DEMO=
LoadWindow=1

[FACILITIES]
COUNTRY=
STATE=
CITY=
GTL_BUTTON=1244

[Misc]
Com_Rate=7

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti.0.0]
Mode=1920x1080x32
Anisotropic=1
AntiAlias=1

[MULTIPLAYER]
condAccoutPassword=0

I'll try to get the DX10 stuff working again, I'll post back with an update.

I can't get AA to work in DX10 at all whatsoever. I adjusted my NI settings to accommodate, turned AA and AF on in FSX, still horrendous looking jagged lines. Also edited my CFG with these:

MultiSamplesPerPixel=4
MultiSampleQuality=8

Because I heard it improves AA quality in DX10. I can't get this to work and even if it does give me a performance boost I hardly believe it's for any other reason other than the fact that I don't have any Anti Aliasing or AF anymore. I reinstalled Steve's tweaks and followed all his instructions. Everyone else seems to have great looking graphics in their DX10 setups, mine looks like garbage.

Help?

I can't get AA to work in DX10 at all whatsoever. I adjusted my NI settings to accommodate, turned AA and AF on in FSX, still horrendous looking jagged lines. Also edited my CFG with these:

MultiSamplesPerPixel=4
MultiSampleQuality=8

Because I heard it improves AA quality in DX10. I can't get this to work and even if it does give me a performance boost I hardly believe it's for any other reason other than the fact that I don't have any Anti Aliasing or AF anymore. I reinstalled Steve's tweaks and followed all his instructions. Everyone else seems to have great looking graphics in their DX10 setups, mine looks like garbage.

Help?

Thats weird! In FSX you should definitely have AA on.

This may sound crazy, but if you see no change whatsoever when you alter your fsx.cfg, are you sure you're editing and saving the file in your \Users\<username>Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder and not your main FSX folder?

Thats weird! In FSX you should definitely have AA on.

This may sound crazy, but if you see no change whatsoever when you alter your fsx.cfg, are you sure you're editing and saving the file in your \Users\<username>Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder and not your main FSX folder?

Yes I'm editing/saving the CFG in my AppData folder. I'm starting to get very frustrated here, (nothing to do with you guys, your help has been incredible). I've been flying with FSX since the first day it was released several years ago. Back then, my system was terrible compared to what it is now, and it always ran just fine. Of course, my settings were usually lower than what they are now. Recently, I joined a VA and I've been flying FAR more than I ever have before. I've also begun to accumulate MANY more payware addons. I know FSX is a poorly optimized piece of software, but I'm 150% positive my system shouldn't be running it at 10fps even though my settings are where they are. I've done every CFG tweak imaginable by now and I haven't seen a single one of them improve my performance at all. I'd really like to commit to DX10, but I can't even get AA working and I've followed all the steps in order to do so. I'm so desperate to get FSX to run well that I'm highly considering doing a complete format/reinstall of Windows, resetting my CPU/RAM/GPU clocks back to default, partitioning a section of my SATA drive primarily for FSX, reinstalling all of my drivers, etc, and reinstalling FSX along with every other addon one by one to see what's hindering my performance. This is something I'd NEVER consider under normal circumstances. My PC runs flawlessly in all instances except for FSX. I just don't know what to do. You guys have been extremely helpful and I really appreciate all the help, but I'm not seeing the performance that I should be with FSX and I don't know how to fix it. I think that before I do an OS wipe, I may reinstall FSX from the ground up and try installing my addons one by one until I see major overall performance drops. Maybe a clean install/config, as well as getting all my settings where they need to be initially, as well as reinstalling addons while more thoroughly monitoring performance may do the trick. Maybe my FSX is just running slow because it's bogged down with so many addons?... I just don't know.

Like I said, thanks guys, and if you have any other tips for me that I have yet to try, or any tips at ALL on how to get AA working in DX10, they would be much appreciated. I really don't want to have to reinstall if it's not necessary.

Well I guess AA was working in DX10 after all. I wasn't even loading the game, I was just going off of what I saw in the menu, my models looked terrible. But I read somewhere that Fullscreen was necessary to see the AA effects so I loaded up a flight and there was in fact Anti Aliasing and it looked pretty nice. However, still wasn't getting more than 11fps at SFO with CATII IFR weather and Airbus Extended.

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14 //Added

I see alot of debate around this as to whether its even needed or advisable.

What are opinions on this please?

spacer.png

Processor is everything to FSX. I used a 965 black for a couple of years and with the NGX/REX/GEX/UTX/FSDT and some older mega scenery,This processor was still not enough, Yes mid to high teens at best. From there I moved to a 990FX sabertooth board with a FX-8350@4.8 on water. Again the NGX and my addons would still bring this processor to its knees. High teens to low 20s. This is with no AI or GA traffic 6% road traffic and no ships or ferries. Also clouds were set @ 1024. I have been where you are @ this time and I firmly believe you just don't have enough processor.Processor speed = framerates. I am now happily using a I5-2500K Intel rig @4.8 with frame rates 25 to 30. smooth and fluid with DX-10. I hope this helps you out. Jamie Moses