Sign in to follow this  
DaveLTB

Joystick HAT Switch Configuration

I guess I'm like many newbies on this forum - Having used Microsoft's flight simulator up to FSX for more years than we can count, we are now dipping a toe into X-Plane 10.

The first "instinctive" thing that I'm sure most newbies try to do is to make XPX work similarly to FSX so as to just get a start on the learning curve.

To this end it took me a while and many searches on this and other forums (and RTFM as well) to figure out that in order to look around via the joystick HAT switch one has to program the four 90 degree positions with Q, E, R, and F. 

Two questions and a request:

1] Is this the correct way, or have I misunderstood and there is a better way?

2] How do you get the intermediate views: 45, 135, 225 and 315 degrees

and a request to those experienced XPX gurus:

Could you post an understandable explanation of how you have set XPX to look around (unless you are simply using TrackIR?

Thanks

Dave

Greetings

Dave Britzius

(Cockpit Designer and Flight Simulator Hardware Supplier)

Cape Town

http://davebritzius.com

Are you using the 2D or the 3D cockpit?

Use the "General command: pan left" "... pan right", "... tilt up", "... tilt down". In the 2D cockpit, you will have steps of 45 degrees, in the 3D cockpit a continuous movement.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

I like to pan view with my hat switch, instead of jumping from one direction to another.

I also like to alternate 3D cockpit and external view.

So, this is how I fixed the view problem in XP10:

I downloaded a free plugin called "X-Assign" and defined 2 sets of command for my hat switch, one for internal view, the other for external view.
Then assigned a joystick button to switch from "global set 1" to "global set 2" and viceversa.
It works: has been a bit annoying, still now it works: it's like I have two distinct hat switches on my joystick, one for panning view in 3D cockpit, the other for panning view in external (circle) view, ALMOST like in FSX ...

Thanks Uwespeed and Adler58 I will give both suggestions a shot.

I use a 3D cockpit - I try to avoid 2D cockpit panels unless absolutely necessary

Greetings

Dave Britzius

(Cockpit Designer and Flight Simulator Hardware Supplier)

Cape Town

http://davebritzius.com

Although a little different than the hat switch, don't forget about the quick view capability of XP10 using the numeric keypad...

Get your view aligned in the simulator, press CTRL-(Number) to assign it to a numeric keypad digit. In the sim, press (Number) to jump immediately to that view. It can help get you looking squarely at that panel of switches, instruments, or other elements - and then BACK to normal quickly. Takes your hand off the yoke/throttle to use it, but it's a heck of a lot faster than trying to pan, move, and zoom to view something you need.

Set up a shortcut to your normal view, approach view, instruments above or below, etc. etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.