Sign in to follow this  
Lightman74

X-Plane's default mesh is pretty impressive

X-Plane's default mesh never ceases to amaze me.

The first picture is from a webcam I view each morning and evening (yeah yeah, I need a life, LOL) and the second one is from X-Plane. 

I know it's easy, but where am I?  :P

Webcam

X-Plane 

Out of the box, X-Plane is pretty darn good :smile: !!

Dom

Try doing a local FLight around Rio de Janeiro (SBRJ) and you will see why I don't have the feel joy with X-Plane Mesh than you do!

Alexis Mefano

I have to agree, it's patchy. Some parts seem pretty well represented, others not so good.

Alpilot's meshes do a nice job of filling some of the gaps and apparently newer meshes are coming from him soon.

http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-scenery-mesh/

(Sorry Alexis, looks like SA isn't covered yet)

Edit: btw Dom, where is that?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Still, in the most parts of the world it is great, way ahead of any other default flight sim, and even comes close or is on par to many many payware meshes in other flight sims.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

I have to agree, it's patchy. Some parts seem pretty well represented, others not so good.

Alpilot's meshes do a nice job of filling some of the gaps and apparently newer meshes are coming from him soon.

http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-scenery-mesh/

(Sorry Alexis, looks like SA isn't covered yet)

Edit: btw Dom, where is that?

Yeah, and since it's not someone from Laminar Research doing this, but a guy doing this in his free time, we can't expect coverage for the entire world. But it certainly takes away the feeling of joy when I load my X-Plane for a quick flight around my town.

Alexis Mefano

Actually I think Alpilot also did the default mesh...?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Yeah, and since it's not someone from Laminar Research doing this, but a guy doing this in his free time, we can't expect coverage for the entire world. But it certainly takes away the feeling of joy when I load my X-Plane for a quick flight around my town.

Errm, you are wrong. Alpilotx is a freelancer of Laminar and big parts of the default mesh are his work. But the final integration of the DSF files are done by sofware, and Ben found out that there were still several bugs involved, that nmuddled the results.

So I would expect several improvements after 10.30 since Alpilotx and Ben are working on the integration of new data. Although alpilotx even promised an updated HD Mesh in the next few months. Laminar has to look for general compatibility while optional extrascan be much more flexible.

But be carefull: General complaints after 10.30 is final won't help: They won't update the whole world in a huge chunk instead every update will only contain some areas, by order of severity (number of bug reports). So I have to guess that we europeans might have to wait for a long time, till we get updated default data.