Sign in to follow this  
Julian192001

Need help running REX texture with AS2012 Please!

Hello everyone,

I know you guys (and some girls) probably heard this question or plead for help a million times, but can anyone please help me go step by step on running Rex textures with AS2012 weather engine? I have and love both of them but like Rex texture better. In addition; REX weather engine seems to really hurt my FPS when flying.

Thanks alot

~ Julian

Very simple. Open REX, install the cloud,sky, water or whatever textures you want. Then close REX, run AS2012 and then run FSX. That's all you need to do.

You can think of the textures REX installs as global textures (which they are) meaning they will work with any weather program or even the default weather generator. Once installed you could never open REX again if you didn't want to ever change the textures again and any cloud or sky set will work with all conditions, sunny, cloudy, rainy or snowing. No need to run REX prior to each time you start FSX because the textures you install are there for good unless you either delete them or decide to install new textures over the existing ones.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Okay, so I disable the REX Engine; add my textures in REX (in which I did). Now do I have to do anything with the textures in my AS2012? Also, SO I run REX, run AS2012, and then close REX??

Run REX and install your textures of choice. Close REX. Don't run REX again (unless you want to change textures). Forget it's even there. You don't have to touch it again (unless you want to change the texture set at a later date).

The run AS as you normally would. Don't touch the textures in AS because you'll only overwrite the ones that you installed from REX, which would waste the step above. Go nowhere near the AS texture button, ever.

Run FSX from AS. You'll have lovely REX textures with the AS weather engine.

Good luck

Mike

Ok, once you have installed the REX textures completely close REX. Then simply start AS2012 and let it inject the weather, you don't need to do anything with the textures in AS2012, just pretend the textures options even exist. Once AS2012 has booted and finished initializing then start FSX and AS2012 will inject the weather once you start your flight.

Like I said in the beginning, once you install your REX textures you're done and don't need to ever start REX again unless you want to install new textures. On AS2012 its the same, if you have textures install that you want you will never need to install AS2012 textures.

When you load the weather it will automatically load the clouds for the appropriate type of weather. So if it raining it will load rain clouds, etc.

POST EDIT: Looks like Mike beat me to it while I was typing :-)

To add to the conversation, I pretty much have just used the same texture set for years for the sky, clouds and water. Once you find a set you like that works well for all conditions you may never need to even open REX again. For me I use HDEv2 (freeware) for the sunrise, day and sunset textures, an REX cirrus set (cant remember the number), my cumulous is a custome set from FEX called Chew Test, and I use a night sky texture set from AS2012.

oops sorry... Didn't know if you were still online to reply... :-S

oops sorry... Didn't know if you were still online to reply... :-S

No problem Mike, funny that we both said almost the same exact thing.

Good thing we did... Nothing worse than conflicting answers to confuse matters.

Good thing we did... Nothing worse than conflicting answers to confuse matters.

LOL, exactly. Nothing worse that getting two completely different answers to a seemly simple question.