Sign in to follow this  
edryan

Windows 8 and adding aircraft to FS9 Cfg file

Can anyone give me the steps in sequence for adding an aircraft to the FS9 cfg file in Win8 and saving it. When I try to overwrite the cfg file it will deny me access.

Thanks a lot

Ed Ryan

Hi,

Same way as for Vista and Win 7. Do not install FS into the default install path.

Now that you have done that, cut and paste the file to the Desktop, make and save the edits. Then cut and paste the file back to the proper location.

What a performance,that`s why i stick to my faithful X P!  B)  

What a performance,that`s why i stick to my faithful X P!  B)  

Enjoy your DirectX 11. Oh wait.... And enjoy those Windows Updates. Until April 2014...

Windows XP was fantastic, but it's time to move on. Get Windows 7, it's the most similar to Windows XP.

In my experience, Win8 will also deny you access to installing any programs elsewhere than in the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories.  If I set up a file in the directory and call it Flight Simulator and install FS9 in it, you will find FS9( in Program Files (x86) when you reboot the computer.  Others, including some nice tech support people related to my recent ill-fated posting about trying to correct REX install problems, tell me different; but I have all of the permissions set to the lowest level and I still cannot get full control of my OS.  Using "Run as administrator" doesn't help either.

And you wonder why PC sales have collapsed since Win8 became the default OS on new hardware?

Anyone (who actually owns a PC running Win8, please) out there who can help us tame this beast?  Please be specific about what you have done.

In my experience, Win8 will also deny you access to installing any programs elsewhere than in the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories.  If I set up a file in the directory and call it Flight Simulator and install FS9 in it, you will find FS9( in Program Files (x86) when you reboot the computer.  Others, including some nice tech support people related to my recent ill-fated posting about trying to correct REX install problems, tell me different; but I have all of the permissions set to the lowest level and I still cannot get full control of my OS.  Using "Run as administrator" doesn't help either.

And you wonder why PC sales have collapsed since Win8 became the default OS on new hardware?

Anyone (who actually owns a PC running Win8, please) out there who can help us tame this beast?  Please be specific about what you have done.

I installed a couple of programs (or "Apps" as they're called...) on my Windows 8 VM and after restarting, none of them were moved to the ProgramFiles folder. Have you tried giving yourself the most permissions, not just lowering the power of the SYSTEM?

Can anyone give me the steps in sequence for adding an aircraft to the FS9 cfg file in Win8 and saving it. When I try to overwrite the cfg file it will deny me access.

Thanks a lot

Ed Ryan

I see you've received some good advice as to how to modify the FS9.cfg file, and now to install FS2004 on a Windows 7-Windows 8 system in order to make addons function properly. However, I must point out that modifying the FS9.cfg file is how one applies tweaks to the simulation; it has nothing to do with adding aircraft as you mentioned. Again, the FS9.cfg file has nothing to do with adding aircraft to the simulation.

Instead, once FS2004 is properly installed and patched, simply add any addon aircraft you want to include to the same folder beneath the main FS9 folder where all of the stock aircraft live. This folder is named "Aircraft."

First, when you install FS2004, run the FS9 installer itself in administrator mode, then install it to a folder all its own, preferably to a folder which exists on a drive other than your main Windows drive.

Two last bits of advice: since you are running Windows 8 (this also applies to Vista and Windows 7), anytime you are installing an addon which comes with an installer to FS2004, always, always run the addon's installer in administrator mode. Otherwise, the installer may not do its job properly. And finally, right-click on the FS9 executable itself, "FS9.exe," which is located in your main FS9 folder. Then select the "Compatibility" tab, and check the box marked "Run in administrator mode" so that the simulation itself runs in administrator mode each time it is run. This will ensure that it can modify its own configuration files properly, as needed.

Taking these steps will save you a lot of grief and frustration. Hope this helps.

Thanks Robert for those very helpful details and your advise.   I have also had some trouble adding aircraft modifications and repaints on my Win8 system, and have never been able to correct some little quirks such as why my MAAM-SIM aircraft will start at 30fps but not at 60fps settings.

Changing to Windows 7 is probably not an option that I would consider due to the cost.

Changing to Windows 7 is probably not an option that I would consider due to the cost.

Windows 7 Home Premium only costs $99.

Did you buy a new computer with Windows 8, or did you upgrade yourself on your DIY computer? You may have downgrade rights.

My new computer was supplied with Windows 8 only.  I'm actually very pleased overall with the way it runs FS9 and the mostly add-on aircraft that I am using.  I have found the user controls to be very annoying and frustrating.  I am still working with tech support from one add-on vendor to try to get their app installed.  Still no joy with that.

I see you've received some good advice as to how to modify the FS9.cfg file, and now to install FS2004 on a Windows 7-Windows 8 system in order to make addons function properly. However, I must point out that modifying the FS9.cfg file is how one applies tweaks to the simulation; it has nothing to do with adding aircraft as you mentioned. Again, the FS9.cfg file has nothing to do with adding aircraft to the simulation.

Instead, once FS2004 is properly installed and patched, simply add any addon aircraft you want to include to the same folder beneath the main FS9 folder where all of the stock aircraft live. This folder is named "Aircraft."

First, when you install FS2004, run the FS9 installer itself in administrator mode, then install it to a folder all its own, preferably to a folder which exists on a drive other than your main Windows drive.

Two last bits of advice: since you are running Windows 8 (this also applies to Vista and Windows 7), anytime you are installing an addon which comes with an installer to FS2004, always, always run the addon's installer in administrator mode. Otherwise, the installer may not do its job properly. And finally, right-click on the FS9 executable itself, "FS9.exe," which is located in your main FS9 folder. Then select the "Compatibility" tab, and check the box marked "Run in administrator mode" so that the simulation itself runs in administrator mode each time it is run. This will ensure that it can modify its own configuration files properly, as needed.

Taking these steps will save you a lot of grief and frustration. Hope this helps.

These are some good tips. But if you want to take control of Win8 OS, you need to right click the main FS9 folder, select properties and choose the security tab. Now you need to set up permissions by clicking the Edit button, when next box pop up select add. When next box pop up type "Everyone" in the space "Enter the object name to select". Then OK. Highlight "Everyone in previous box then check the boxes "Allow" below in the Permissions for Everyone menu. Except "Special permissions" and it ok or apply. Now you can install anything you want into the Programs filex86\ Microsoft games\FS9 folder.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Thanks for that BigMack.  I made those changes and will report back with my experiences.  This can be done with any app, I assume?

Thanks for that BigMack.  I made those changes and will report back with my experiences.  This can be done with any app, I assume?

Yes. And always remember to turn off UAC and run as admin.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

I have done a clean re-install of FS9 in Windows 8 and runs fine. Have done all of the above but when I add in PAI Installer to add flights and aircraft, I lose about 13 default airports including KDFW, KSFO, KORD, KLAX, KDEN, EDDf, EBBR, EGGL, etc. Theu will not load and when selected FS9 crashes. Any ideas?