Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Normal range for Vcore for SB-E 6-core CPU?

Back when I researched voltages for my Q9650 I recall there was what was considered the range of acceptable Vcore values.  I think it was 1.25-1.36.  Above that degradation was likely, and above the 'absolute maximum Vcore' of 1.45v degradation was assured, or something along those lines.   What do we know for CPUs like i7-3930K?  

Thanks in advance ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Intel says Absolute max 1.4. You'll soon see if your cooler/case can handle that. SandyBridgeE pulls some serious power. More than 100W more or way over twice the power than IvyBridge @ 4.3Ghz already if coretemps reporting is acurate. (80W vs 180W) The quad channel mem controllers + the extra cores needs some serious cooling.

Also make sure to have good cooling for the vrms on the motherboard as they become seriously hot delivering that power. I could initially only pull 175W before the VRM throttled back the overclock to 3.2Ghz for a while to cool down. But putting a fan over the VRM heatsink sorted that out. (Asrock x79 Extreme4). Good luck

I'm probably good for cooling for overclocks to 4.3 to 4.6Ghz in that if I need to I can have 40 degree F air flowing directly over the Noctua NH-D14 and into the entire interior case, mainboard, memory, GPU, etc.  Given the fact FSX won't put all 6 cores up to 100% usage (I am assuming) what sort of wattage will SB-E draw in this situation?  I am assuming FSX in a 6 core CPU will not demand as much wattage draw as for example Prime95 putting all 6 cores to work.  I ask re wattage because when I use the PSS calculator at http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and when I include every part I am going to use and overclock to 4.2Ghz it is saying minimum of 579W PSS w/ a recommended of 631W.  The PSS I have is a new PC Power & Cooling 750W continuous w/ a peak output of 875W, and a 60amp 12v rail.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X