Sign in to follow this  
mnmon

dimming the landing lights?

I have the Wilco CRJ and it's landing lights are impossibly bright. The taxi lights are a bit better, but still much worse than other aircraft. I checked the aircraft cfg file and found the lighting section, but have no clue how to change the brightness of these Kleig lamps:o The Wilco CRJ forum moderator just said it's an FS problem, but I haven't noticed such an issue with other planes. Any developers out there who could suggest a fix within the cfg? Mike Monce

sorry i'm no developer but landing light illumination as far as i know is not managed in the aircraft.cfg - landing light fuselage splash effects can be if included, but not the ground-illuminating brightness. i think this is hardcoded in the model.all i can suggest is ctrl-shift-up or down arrow to change the angle of the lights - might help the whitewash.regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

I never saw the landing lights (talking about the actual ground illumination) that would look realistic. They just make huge area on the runway very bright and contours are not realistic.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2, Omega 2.7.90 (4xAA 16xAF)

Guest captbulldog 2

FS models lighting quite poorly. If it had taken full advantage of DX9 then it'll be more (and very) proper.

I just bought the Wilco CRJ last week. My landing lights are focused way ahead of the aircraft, so you see nothing illuminated right in front of you. Even changing the angle of the landing lights doesn't help. It is the only a/c i have or own that is like this.Rick

>The Wilco CRJ forum>moderator just said it's an FS problem, but I haven't noticed>such an issue with other planes.Unfortunately, there isn't a "config fix," since the landing & taxi lights are built into the model.But, it is not "an FS problem," as that person suggested. The modeler may easily "tone down" the lights, and even change the color!Also, if the modeler makes the Material semi-transparent, by setting the Opacity to 40% or so, the problem of the landing lights washing out the runway/taxiway is eliminated.At Eaglesoft, we deliberately tone down the landing lights, and make the taxi lights even softer and gentler... If we can do it, anyone else can as well... :)As someone else mentioned, there is a set of replacement 'halo.bmp' files available here at AVSIM, but they will affect all aircraft, not just a single one, and aren't the total fix for the lights.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for your reply, Bill. I had a hunch it was a deeper problem than just in the cfg file. I also thought Wilco's response was a bit disengenuous as each plane seems to have different lighting. I'm getting more and more wary of payware aircraft. Out of the 4 or so that I've bought only 1 really measures up. I can't believe people charge for such flawed products. Caveat emptor! The best so far? PMDG hands down. And I also have the FREEWARE Lockheed Connie that is far superior to any payware other than the PMDG. BTW, I'm considering your Citation. Your response is making me consider it closer. Mike