Sign in to follow this  
betelgeuse

Scenery Library Order_again

Sorry to resurrect an old chestnut.

I'm using Bill's suggestions from an earlier thread on this board.

forum.avsim.net/topic/399575-scenery-library-order/

Priority 1 Addon Scenery
All of my individual airport addons
Photoreal scenery / MegaScenery etc
Landclass files / MyWorld etc
Terrain mesh
Ultimate Terrain
Default FS9 folders

But where should I place these other items in the FS9 Scenery Library? -

jetwaywh, jetwayqy, jetwaybn

EZScenery Library, Rwy12 Library, Static Objects Library

Roads and Grass for specific airports  e.g.   AK23ROADS, AK23GRASS:   MerrillFieldPAMR, MerrillGRASS, MerrillDELETE

Objects of various kinds  e.g. RKSI_Cars, ANO Obstacles

AESLite for various airports  (AES base goes at the top)

Quite often an installer will place a landclass file above its respective scenery file.  For example, FlyLogic's Sion Landclass is autoinstalled above the Sion scenery.  Should I leave it like that, or move the landclass down below the airport addons as in Bill's list? 

I guess there are few hard and fast rules but any advice would be welcome. 

John

Supporter.png

John

I can't answer all of your questions and will take a stab at a few.

Object libraries can go anywhere, priority does not matter.

I have them just above the default folders simply to lessen the times I have to scroll through them while working in the Scenery Library.

As for the "roads and grass" and AESLite, I can only suggest that you follow the readme, if there is one.

I do not have AES and do not recognize the other files.

If an installer places folders in a specific order I would leave them in that order. The designer should know how they are to be installed.

As for your suggested order, I would move addon mesh to the top, right below AES due to a quirk in how FS9 reads and prioritizes mesh.

As for "Priority 1 Addon Scenery", I guess that depends on what you keep in Addon Scenery..

If like many you keep "afcads" in Addon Scenery, you might want to lower it below your individual airports.

Here's why. Say you have a bunch of afcads in Addon Scenery, including one for KXYZ. Then you get a complete addon for KXYZ and place it below Addon Scenery in the Scenery Library.

Should you forget to remove the afcad for KXYZ from Addon Scenery (it happens) you may be unhappy with the addon for KXYZ because FS will use the afcad in Addon Scenery and not the afcad in the KXYZ addon.

For this reason I keep all my afcad-only airports above my object libraries and below my individual airports.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks, Joe. This helps a lot.

I understand about the Addon Scenery Afcad thing - been caught out by that a few times. Most people use the Addon Scenery/scenery folder for Afcad only airports and I believe it's the recommended folder for those. There's something not quite right about that in view of possible conflicts. 

I'm keeping my Addon Scenery folder high as that's the location of almost all my Addon Sceneries.  If/when I get Afcad conflicts I either do a manual search or a scan for the offending file and then remove it.

I have more problems with addon mesh and addon terrain than Afcads so getting those in the right place should improve things. 

Regards,

John   :smile:

Supporter.png

John

I'm keeping my Addon Scenery folder high as that's the location of almost all my Addon Sceneries.

The only files that are affected by the location of Addon Scenery in the Scenery Library are those in Addon Scenery\scenery.

That is, if you have...\Addon Scenery\KXYZ\scenery (and maybe ...\Addon Scenery\KXYZ\texture) and KXYZ has it's own entry in the Scenery Library, KXYZ will not be affected by the location of Addon Scenery in the Scenery Library.

hope this makes sense.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

The only files that are affected by the location of Addon Scenery in the Scenery Library are those in Addon Scenery\scenery

Ah!  Now that is very useful information, Joe -  I should have realised it myself.  I moved the Addon Scenery way down to near the default stuff.  Already, I've cured an old problem with the TropicalSim addon for Porto, LPPR. 

Magic!  Thanks again.

John

Supporter.png

John