Sign in to follow this  
Percula747

RNAV and the glideslope

Hey everyone,

when I enter an RNV approach into my 747's fmc, it seems to not stay on the glideslope..?!?!

How does altitude management work for rnv appoaches?

Greetings,

Jannis

I am no expert, but I thought the object of an RNAV approach was to get you decision altitude without the use of the glideslope?  If you are using the LOC and Glideslope, that is an ILS approach.

What airport/runway are we talking about here?

Peter

Peter Schluter

Theres is no "Glideslope" on a RNAV Approach. The FMC, however, calculates a "Glidepath" to meet the altitude constraints.

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Okay, thanks!

So during the whole approach you remain in lnav and vnav mode??

I have just flown RNAV approach into Munich 26L

As I was flying in LNAV/VNAV the minima is 1900. So I fly in those modes until 1900 feet ( or whatever your runway DA is). Then, if you can see the runway, you turn off the autopilot and land the aircraft. So the correct answer is... you fly the approach to minimums in LNAV/VNAV.

Peter

Peter Schluter

Correct Percula747. RNAV approaches are designed to get you to your destination at an altitude from which you can land. The autopilot will not land the airplane unless it is coupled to the ILS. Localizer approaches do a better job fo finding the runway than RNAV/GPS approaches but only full ILS approaches will get you down correctly.

Eric Parker