Sign in to follow this  
RalphW

CPU usage?

Been trying to sort out stuttering for a few weeks now, (running FSX on 4 PCs in a full size 737 Sim with 3 projectors), and noticed last night that Opus server was using about 40% cpu whereas FSX was using 10%. Wondering if that's where my issue is? anyone have any experience in this area?

My Live view tests are good and updates in the region of 100fps

Thanks

Ralph

Try the latest beta and turn on the new 'Run in High Priority' option in your FSXCLIENT program configurations. You could also try setting the same option in the FSXSERVER's configuration. See if that helps.

I don't think the CPU usage is anything to go by but the High Priority options will force Windows to adhere to the requested thread delays and not extend them to longer periods.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen,

Installed 3.12.3 beta. With "Run in High Priority" enabled in the FSXCLIENTclient I see a very small decrease in stuttering. If, however, I turn it on in the FSXSERVER the stuttering turns into anything from a 2 to 5 second delay!

My problem is I don't really know where my problem lies. 

I get no lag

No client stutters in Live View Test

Position updates at 100/sec on the ground

I run a GigaBit Lan

So it appears everything runs smoothly in testing mode yet when I run it "for real" I get unacceptable stuttering. Its driving me nuts!

On my FSXSERVER machine I have FSX running with all sliders at none since i just use this instance of FSX to interface with my hardware. I use 3 very high end PCs to drive 3 separate instances of FSX through 3 projectors with sliders at or near max. Framerates, for what the're worth, are over 350 on FSXSERVER and over 30 on FSXCLIENTS, buts as we know its not about framerates, its about smoothness.

Ralph

Can you rule out that you are just seeing DHM effects by disabling DHM on your server. If you can rule out that I have got a few ideas to try, in case it is something to do with the client FSX not coping with the high rate of updates. So I might give you some control over that to see if it would help. I will also conduct some tests here. I might be able to change the software so that you get no higher update rate than in test mode.

Have you tried the Live View test on the server?

Regards

Stephen

I will check the FSXSERVER High Priority mode and see about introducing a Live View Scan Rate setting (adjustable from say 1ms up to 100ms). If that works you will have full control over the number of updates being communicated over the LAN so that you can fine tune the system and get it working optimally. I will see about using the FSXSERVER High Priority mode, without the above problems, to help smooth things out.

In the meantime if you could confirm the results of the Live View server test. I will apply the above changes to the LV server test as well so hopefully it will end up as what you see is what you get type of test.

Stephen

Hi Stephen

I never enabled DHM so there is nothing to "disable", unless I misunderstand.

Re-tested Live View again today with LV slider update rate in the centre (default position) and Sim on the ground at a stand

On FSXCLIENT = steady 90 Position updates

On FSXSERVER = steady 50 Positions update

Thanks

Ralph

Excellent, I will implement this LV scan rate adjustment and sort out the high priority operation so you can tune the update frequency to match the test operation. Any jitters can then only originate within the server FSX, not giving totally smooth position updates which have to be issued as events by FSX on the server.

Stephen