Sign in to follow this  
jimh

SweetFX makes FSX disappear!

Hi,

I recently reinstalled FSX, adding SweetFX early in the process.  Results were great.

Due to a serious problem with a backup program, Windows gave up the ghost, so another reinstall has been necessary.

FSX is now running perfectly (FSX deluxe, Acceleration, 3 FS Global Ultimates, all my previous DX10 stuff in place).

I've installed my previous SweetFX files, (V 1.37), double-clicked the FSX shortcut, opening screen appears momentarly, then nothing.  A check in Task Manager shows no sign of an FSX application or process.

I've tried the standard Sweet 1.4 files, same result.  Take them away, and FSX behaves perfectly again.

Last time, and with Paul's settings, I was happy as can be.

Anyone with a good idea?

Thanks, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Anything in the Event logs, Jim?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I have seen this with certain user settings sometimes they just dont mix with your system try another

Rich Sennett

Jim, I was getting this similar failure, but I think it was a d3d11.dll, was a CTD, and I was suspicious of either Nvidia or SweetFX, as they both have dx11 capability loaded when running - but it turned out to be a particular Windows update download, and the number to look for being KB2670838. I thought this one to be of sufficient importance that I included it in the "How-To" doc.

I hope this is the problem, as it would be an easy fix..

All the Best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I also had FSX crashing with SweetFX, but that happend while flying (sometimes after 5 mins, sometimes after 45 mins). The update Paul mentioned was the problemmaker for me, you can safely uninstall it via Windows Update.

Event Log/Custom Views/Admin Events:

Nothing related to FSX, but lots related to network, printer sharing, etc.  In my previous installation of Win7 I didn't have such errors, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to engage in advanced settings.

I don't seem to have KB2670838.

I'm on 314.22 drivers.

Despite the above errors, all seems to be smooth so far.  Only visible problem at the moment is the SweetFX one.

Regards, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Are you running SweetFX through an outside program such as Flight FX? I had a similar problem when I did not start FlightFX before FSX. FSX would disappear almost immediately as if I never started it. There is a problem in pointing to the exe location in some of these programs.   Skip

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "DX-10 Discussions, Hints and Help" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Since we got chucked out of the DX10 forum, I've checked that the problem is just the same in DX9, so we are ok in here!  :unsure:

I start FSX from a desktop shortcut. 

My present reinstall follows a previous order exactly, so I'm at a loss.  I'll set SweetFX aside, and carry on in DX10 without.

Thanks, jim

If SweetFX is causing the CTD it's more than likely related to a SweetFX configuration error. Could be several things.

- Check that all files associated with SweetFX are in your FSX folder
- Make sure the "SweetFX_preset.txt" file (Where the settings file name is defined) points to a "SweetFX_settings.txt" file

Example SweetFX_preset.txt file:
#include "SweetFX_fsxDAY_settings.txt"

Then I have a settings file named appropriately.

I have the files which worked before:

d3d9.dll

d3d9.fx

dxgi.dll

dxgi.fx

Injector.ini

SweetFX readme.txt

SweetFX_preset_txt

SweetFX_settings.txt

SweetFX_settings_P.txt (pointed to by Preset)

I don't have a CTD.  The FSX initial screen appears briefly, then nothing.

There is no sign of FSX in Task Manager, and there is nothing in Event Viewer when this happens.

Remove these files and FSX works as normal, in both DX9, and DX10.  I'm not blaming Sweet.  it must be something in my system.

I do have another annoying problem with my system.  Sometimes, when I fire up the computer, Win7 appears to start, but freezes at the Windows "Flag" symbol.  I then switch off at the mains, wait about 20 seconds, switch on again, and all is ok.  I'm far from an expert, but I don't believe these problems are related at all.

Thanks for your interest, Jim

I have the files which worked before:

d3d9.dll

d3d9.fx

dxgi.dll

dxgi.fx

Injector.ini

SweetFX readme.txt

SweetFX_preset_txt

SweetFX_settings.txt

SweetFX_settings_P.txt (pointed to by Preset)

Don't reuse your old files. Delete all old and install 1.40 fresh.