Sign in to follow this  
mrtk311

FSX not Responding

Hey guys, I'm a newbie to fs, had it for about a few months, got rid of all the teething problems and finally got my first 2 addons, the PMDG and REX 2.0. Now I have another problem and it is really pissing me off. I got REX about 2 month after the NGX and when running the NGX everything worked fine but when I got REX, everytime I do a flight longer than 3 hours it freezes, and when I press ctrl+alt+del and open task manager, it shows that REX is working fine, but FSX is not responding. I am not really a computer savvy person so if anyone could maybe identify the problem for me, or tell me what to do to identify the problem or even fix it, that would be great! Thanks :) I really need help!  :Praying:

I do a flight longer than 3 hours it freezes, and when I press ctrl+alt+del and open task manager, it shows that REX is working fine, but FSX is not responding.

Try this fix to the heap limitation - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246.  Freezes are usually caused by high fsx/display driver settings.  You should also download and run AppCrashView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html and copy and paste the results of the last crash (if any) here so I can check it out.  

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Try this fix to the heap limitation - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246.  Freezes are usually caused by high fsx/display driver settings.  You should also download and run AppCrashView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html and copy and paste the results of the last crash (if any) here so I can check it out.  

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks! I'll retry it in the morning and see if it crashes again. Really annoying when I've spent like 3 hours waiting so I can get to my destination to find FSX not responding. Again , thank you! 

Thoriq. 

post complete reports, copy/paste from appcrashviewer. Better save them in notepad and atach here

I agree with B247NG, we need to see more of the top crash report.  But the photo does show you have had other problems such as a couple of BEX/StackHash crashes due to your Saitek controller and several ENB series module crashes.  Hopefully you have removed the d3d9.dll from your FSX directory and the enb.ini.

That's a good idea to disable REX during a flight and see if that fixes the problem.  I own AS2012 weather program and I was getting freezes mid-flight.  When I disabled the weather program, fsx continued with the flight.  Could be a SimConnect problem or a problem with the weather program server when the weather program tries to update the weather.  Could be a firewall protection issue too where your firewall is not allowing REX to download the latest weather.  I know I tried future flights by enabling the default weather program (which, in reality is AS2012 as they say they take over all weather once installed on your system) and FSX did not freeze up on me.  Maybe you have the cloud textures set to 4096 (HD) and need to reduce the resolution to 2048 (HD).  Just little things like that can create havoc on many systems and work great on many others.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Not sure, if it's REX though, cos I just went through a game of ARMA3 and about after 3 hours it started to not respond like FSX.. Maybe its my computer?

That's always a possibility.  Bad memory settings (frequency/timings/voltage) in the BIOS can cause these kinds of crashes.  Of course, system overheating or a too high/too low CPU voltage setting will do it too.  Just a million possibilities.  Your Saitek joystick profiler crashed a couple of times and that's probably used in both games.  Could be that.  You have to look in the AppCrashView program.  Not sure what CPU you have.  You have an i5 processor but don't know if it is a 2600K or 2600. Not even sure you have a 32 bit OS or a 64 bit system.  A 32 bit system can only use up to 2GB's without installing the /3GB switch.  A 64 bit system can manage your memory better.  So not sure whether you are overclocking or have even looked at your BIOS but I mention these possibilities just in case. I have to guess. You have 8GB's of RAM but FSX can only use up to 4GB's (and the other 4 GB's will be used for processes for your operating system) if you have a 64 bit OS, so, if you have high settings and/or a lot of programs running (SimConnect, REX weather, etc.etc.), you are putting a lot of stress on your computer and it becomes unstable after a while.  Increasing the heap limitation as I suggested above will help a little.

You could also have a bad setting or tweak in your FSX.cfg.  A bad BufferPools setting is normally the first thing I look at.  If you had your FSX.cfg automatically tweaked at the venetubo website, then you could have problems.  I don't recommend using that site unless you know exactly what settings were changed and why they were changed.  The program has caused more than one CTD.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hey, sorry it's been a while since I've updated on my situation, been busy with school and all that. 

You have an i5 processor but don't know if it is a 2600K or 2600. Not even sure you have a 32 bit OS or a 64 bit system.  A 32 bit system can only use up to 2GB's without installing the /3GB switch.  A 64 bit system can manage your memory better.

I'm not sure about my i5 but I'm using a 64-bit Windows 7. 

You could also have a bad setting or tweak in your FSX.cfg.  A bad BufferPools setting is normally the first thing I look at.  If you had your FSX.cfg automatically tweaked at the venetubo website, then you could have problems.  I don't recommend using that site unless you know exactly what settings were changed and why they were changed.  The program has caused more than one CTD.

Maybe, and yes I have had my FSX.cfg automatically tweaked on the venetubo website. If the problem does lie in the FSX.cfg though, I really wish I knew what to change in it. I'm clueless about all these things. 

Hopefully you have removed the d3d9.dll from your FSX directory and the enb.ini.

I have removed them, but the CTD still does happen. 

That's a good idea to disable REX during a flight and see if that fixes the problem.  I own AS2012 weather program and I was getting freezes mid-flight.  When I disabled the weather program, fsx continued with the flight. 

I have tried a flight with the REX WX engione turned off, with only the textures running, and FSX kept running even after four hours. I tried again, another flight, this time with the WX engine on and the enb files removed and it crashed again, right at the 3 hour mark, even after the heap limitation fix. 

I'll post the complete reports from appcrashviewer in a minute. Sorry for the long post! 

Thoriq. 

Here's the latest crash report. 

Version=1
EventType=AppHangB1
EventTime=130173210438716494
ReportType=1
Consent=1
ReportIdentifier=9abd8593-e3cb-11e2-b92c-08606ed73963
IntegratorReportIdentifier=9abd8594-e3cb-11e2-b92c-08606ed73963
WOW64=1
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[0].Value=fsx.exe
Sig[1].Name=Application Version
Sig[1].Value=10.0.61637.0
Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
Sig[2].Value=46fadb14
Sig[3].Name=Hang Signature
Sig[3].Value=a1bc
Sig[4].Name=Hang Type
Sig[4].Value=2048
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
DynamicSig[2].Value=17417
DynamicSig[22].Name=Additional Hang Signature 1
DynamicSig[22].Value=a1bce6a71904004f074552f8cb1d5aec
DynamicSig[23].Name=Additional Hang Signature 2
DynamicSig[23].Value=e9ca
DynamicSig[24].Name=Additional Hang Signature 3
DynamicSig[24].Value=e9ca22db14ba6ba0ce9ca61e08c8b67c
DynamicSig[25].Name=Additional Hang Signature 4
DynamicSig[25].Value=a1bc
DynamicSig[26].Name=Additional Hang Signature 5
DynamicSig[26].Value=a1bce6a71904004f074552f8cb1d5aec
DynamicSig[27].Name=Additional Hang Signature 6
DynamicSig[27].Value=e9ca
DynamicSig[28].Name=Additional Hang Signature 7
DynamicSig[28].Value=e9ca22db14ba6ba0ce9ca61e08c8b67c
UI[3]=Microsoft Flight Simulator® is not responding
UI[4]=Windows can check online for a solution. If you close the program, you might lose information.
UI[5]=Check for a solution and close the program
UI[6]=Check for a solution and close the program
UI[7]=Close the program
FriendlyEventName=Stopped responding and was closed
ConsentKey=AppHangXProcB1
AppName=Microsoft Flight Simulator®
AppPath=E:\FSX\fsx.exe
ReportDescription=A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Here is one of the previous ones, the should be the same, I'm not sure. 

Version=1
EventType=AppHangB1
EventTime=130165395179248802
ReportType=1
Consent=1
ReportIdentifier=f904d28f-dcaf-11e2-a96c-08606ed73963
IntegratorReportIdentifier=f904d290-dcaf-11e2-a96c-08606ed73963
WOW64=1
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[0].Value=fsx.exe
Sig[1].Name=Application Version
Sig[1].Value=10.0.61637.0
Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
Sig[2].Value=46fadb14
Sig[3].Name=Hang Signature
Sig[3].Value=a1bc
Sig[4].Name=Hang Type
Sig[4].Value=2048
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
DynamicSig[2].Value=17417
DynamicSig[22].Name=Additional Hang Signature 1
DynamicSig[22].Value=a1bce6a71904004f074552f8cb1d5aec
DynamicSig[23].Name=Additional Hang Signature 2
DynamicSig[23].Value=e9ca
DynamicSig[24].Name=Additional Hang Signature 3
DynamicSig[24].Value=e9ca22db14ba6ba0ce9ca61e08c8b67c
DynamicSig[25].Name=Additional Hang Signature 4
DynamicSig[25].Value=a1bc
DynamicSig[26].Name=Additional Hang Signature 5
DynamicSig[26].Value=a1bce6a71904004f074552f8cb1d5aec
DynamicSig[27].Name=Additional Hang Signature 6
DynamicSig[27].Value=e9ca
DynamicSig[28].Name=Additional Hang Signature 7
DynamicSig[28].Value=e9ca22db14ba6ba0ce9ca61e08c8b67c
UI[3]=Microsoft Flight Simulator® is not responding
UI[4]=Windows can check online for a solution. If you close the program, you might lose information.
UI[5]=Check for a solution and close the program
UI[6]=Check for a solution and close the program
UI[7]=Close the program
FriendlyEventName=Stopped responding and was closed
ConsentKey=AppHangXProcB1
AppName=Microsoft Flight Simulator®
AppPath=E:\FSX\fsx.exe
ReportDescription=A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Not sure, if it's REX though, cos I just went through a game of ARMA3 and about after 3 hours it started to not respond like FSX.. Maybe its my computer?

Your Saitek joystick profiler crashed a couple of times and that's probably used in both games.  Could be that.

I do not use my Saitek controller with the game though, but it crashes after 3 hours of running just like FSX. If you want, I'll post the game's appcrash report if that would be any help. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Sometimes I just wish someone could optimise and fix everything for me, I'd even pay them!  :lol:

Thoriq. 

You're running into the same thing I encountered with AS2012 in regards to the weather engine.  I guess it is taking more resources when it tries to go onto the weather server and download updated weather information.

There is nothing in your crash report that provides sufficient information to resolve this problem.  It's just telling me FSX hung up (froze) at memory address a1bc. 

Maybe, and yes I have had my FSX.cfg automatically tweaked on the venetubo website. If the problem does lie in the FSX.cfg though, I really wish I knew what to change in it. I'm clueless about all these things.

I think this is your problem.  I would rename your fsx.cfg to fsx.old then restart fsx and let the sim rebuild the fsx.cfg.  You will then be back to the default.  Make some minor mods so that you have decent graphics but don't turn your settings up high.  Go Fly.  If no problems, then this was the fsx.cfg was the issue.  In the AVSIM FSX Forum, there's a pinned link to the AVSIM Software and Hardware guide.  Just use those recommendations for the new config.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

You're running into the same thing I encountered with AS2012 in regards to the weather engine.  I guess it is taking more resources when it tries to go onto the weather server and download updated weather information.

There is nothing in your crash report that provides sufficient information to resolve this problem.  It's just telling me FSX hung up (froze) at memory address a1bc. 

I think this is your problem.  I would rename your fsx.cfg to fsx.old then restart fsx and let the sim rebuild the fsx.cfg.  You will then be back to the default.  Make some minor mods so that you have decent graphics but don't turn your settings up high.  Go Fly.  If no problems, then this was the fsx.cfg was the issue.  In the AVSIM FSX Forum, there's a pinned link to the AVSIM Software and Hardware guide.  Just use those recommendations for the new config.

Best regards,

Jim

I'll try this as soon as I take a look at the guide. Thanks :) 

Thoriq

Also, if the problem is there's not enough memory, should increasing the amount of RAM help? 

Also, if the problem is there's not enough memory, should increasing the amount of RAM help?

As stated in my post 9 above, no, unless you have less than 4GB's of RAM installed.  You have 8GB's and that's enough.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I just had a new, very powerful computer built, which is dedicated to FSX only. I have no other programs on it that aren't FSX related . I STILL get "FSX not responding", although not as often as before, but it still freezes up randomly, for about 9 minutes at a time. To say this is infuriating, is a gross understatement, especially when I'm Beta testing while flying on VATSIM.  Now, I don't claim to know nearly as much as any of you, but I honestly don't think this problem is completely fixable. There have been lots of suggestions, but I have yet to see anyone come up with a sure fire fix. FSX is simply an old program that can't be continually patched up. At any rate, all the help you guys give is still greatly appreciated! I really mean that. Thanks.

Pete Locascio

Hi Pete,

Every crash has to be investigated as there is no sure fire fixes.  There is a fix for the g3d.dll crash via the fsuipc utility but only in certain areas of the world and it does not fix every ctd.  Someone came up with this sure-fire fix for all fsx crashes by adding the Vista version of the Uiautomationcore.dll to the main fsx folder.  We now know this is false and it "might" fix menu crashes (repeatedly hitting the fsx menu) but I think those menu crashes are caused by memory leaks or issues with memory settings.  Some people think they have a very powerful system and crank their fsx settings to the highest with a lot of worthless tweaks and they sit back and wonder why fsx doesn't work properly.

To get assistance in YOUR investigation for the cause of your freezes/ctd's, you need to start a new topic and post the results of your crash report to the topic.  There are a lot of reports of fsx freezes here in the CTD Forum and you might look at the many suggestions provided in the past.  When you first installed fsx and ran it for the first time, fsx ran perfectly without any problems.  Your fps, if set at unlimited, were above 100 and probably ran up into upper 200's (this happened to me anyway).  Then you started tweaking and adding addons and cranking up your fsx settings.  So nothing is wrong with fsx.  It's all the addons and your tweaks and your high fsx/display driver settings.

Right now, this is my favorite post regarding FSX, FSX/display driver settings and tweaks - http://www.simforums.com/forums/gtx-780-settings-discussion-haswell-revealed_topic46112_page1.html.  Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM