Sign in to follow this  
victorwest2

Victor Vs. Jet Airways

I just filed an IFR flight plan within FS and chose High Altitude airways since I was flying the FSD Cheyenne from KAVP - KMYR (Myrtle Beach) and wanted about 20,000 ft for cruise. The plan came back with all J air routes including those on departure and approach where I was lower than FL 180. I edited and modified those legs using Victor routes. Was this correct, or is it OK to leave the whole plan with J - routes? thanks. Regards, Tom

Guest ssurjap

Jet (J) Routes should be used when your final cruise altitude is at or above FL180. If you look at the NAVLOG (using FS9's Flight Planner) and look at the altitude section, they are "projecting" for lack of a better word, what altitude ATC (assuming you are using FS9's ATC) will assign you when you get to that waypoint. Victor (V) routes should be used for final cruise levels below FL180. This doesn't mean that you can't use V-routes above that although, I believe, V-routes will have more waypoints.