Sign in to follow this  
superglide17

Takeoff Clearance

Overheard on the Detroit Clearance channel. I didn't see this one in the FAA Handbook:

Bonanza 123:
"Bonanza 123. Give me the word. I want to make like a bird."

Detroit Tower:
"You got the nod. Leave the sod!"

:huh:

But was it a take-off clearance?

When was this? I'd like to listen to it on Live ATC. :)

Edit: Nevermind, DTW is not recorded on LiveATC

"But was it a take-off clearance?"

- In a word, NO.

Correct phraseology is:  "Cleared for Takeoff" . Your example is very far from what is acceptable. .

If a controller replied in that fashion, I wold reply "confirm delta 217 is cleared for takeoff?". Ive had controllers give unclear clearances and I always reply with "confirm etc". This way they reply clearly and you get a proper response on the tapes.  Routinely the correct terminology isn't used in the USA between pilots and ATC, but it's clear  who is instructing/doing/requesting what. For example, a guy will check in saying " NY center delta 217 outa  33 for 25". Its clear he is descending through FL330 down to FL250 but his terminology isn't clear.

This may be taken out of context, it is possible the controller made a 'Cleared for Takeoff' call before or after the transmission 'You got the nod. Leave the sod!' and that has been left out.

Nick is also correct, it could have been Clearance Delivery or perhaps another frequency, in that case it wouldn't have been a takeoff clearance at all.

I would like to see or hear the transcript to know for certain what happened, or perhaps it didn't even happen in the first place.

Matthew Kane

I can no longer resist... I can't help it...

Extra credit for those of you who recognize the device. :)

You guys are taking this way too seriously. Chill out. Here's the original source: Short Final

The company that I was with had a chief pilot who liked to play with ATC (in the '60s):

Bonanza 123:

"Bonanza 123. Give me the word. I want to make like a bird."

Detroit Tower:

"You got the nod. Leave the sod!"

Bud Walker

via e-mail

Heard Anything Funny on the Radio?

avweb-cap_small.png

Heard anything funny, unusual, or downright shocking on the radio lately? If you've been flying any length of time, you're sure to have eavesdropped on a few memorable exchanges. The ones that gave you a chuckle may do the same for your fellow AVweb readers. Share your radio funny with us, and, if we use it in a future "Short Final," we'll send you a sharp-looking AVweb hat to sport around your local airport. No joke.

Click here to submit your original, true, and previously unpublished story.

You guys are taking this way too seriously. Chill out.

You are correct sir....but that is what happens over the internet sometimes, 

Cheers 

Matthew Kane

Extra credit for those of you who recognize the device. :)

It's an old record player/ AM/FM console but the make and model would be much harder to pin down.  Magnavox maybe?

I still don't understand why we're talking about takeoff clearances if the OP said in the first sentence that he overheard that on Detroit Clearance frequency...

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo