Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How to edit the Shift+Z onscreen data?

... to select what appears each time you press Shift+Z (which I have mapped to a Nostromo N52). It's easy in FSX: I thought I had once done it in FS9 too, but now can't see how. I looked through the FS9.cfg file - did I miss the relevant entries? - and searched this forum. The question has been asked here more than once, but I didn't find an answer. Can anyone please help?

Thanks,

Martin

For FS9 you have to edit the language.dll, which is found in the root FS9 folder.

You can do this with a hex editor.

peace,

the Bean

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I did it years ago, so the details are a bit foggy.

As best as I can remember you just have to find the appropriate text strings and edit them.

I seem to remember it took a while to wade through them all.

I did change quite a few though.

For the upper left text I removed all of the text such as hdg, etc. leaving only the values, so it would take up less space.

I also changed the "loading traffic xx%' stuff you see when loading a flight, to a personal message for my son.

Backup the original first, and you can do no harm.

One thing I seem to remember is that you can't just delete a string, to remove it from the sim you replaced it with a set of double quotation marks ("").

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

Is there any other way? I ask because the on screen data has changed (all by itself, as computers are wont to do) over the past week and now includes information that I have never seen before. Like this (with I assume fuel per tank, and G-Force etc.???):

I didn't change anything myself, and certainly not with a hex editor.

Under [MAIN] you added this line:

Ave_Frame_Rate_Display=1

Which represents the low, average and high FPS in the past minute. The 1.0 is the variance and the variance percentage.

Martin, you should restore your language.dll with the original.  Using a hex editor to edit the language.dll (unless you're a master at reading assembly language) could be dangerous.  You can use this to edit the language.dll if required.

RJ

No need to restore the language.dll, just edit the FS9.cfg.

Also, if you backup the language.dll you can do no permanent harm by editing it.

You can always revert to the backup if things go FUBAR.

I looked back through my archives and can still not find my detailed notes on my language.dll changes. I think they are on those RW CDs that can no longer be read.

I did remember that I used Resource Hacker to make the changes, just follow RJ's link and have fun.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

OK, I had forgotten! I did add the lines to the fs9.cfg myself to get minimum and maximum frame rates. Apologies. But what are the other figures at the end of the line?

No need to restore the language.dll, just edit the FS9.cfg...

But where? I was trying to edit things so that I get a more logical set of information on each of the three sets of data (each time you press Shift+Z), as you can in FSX. I have a backup of everything FS9 so could experiment with the hex editor I guess, but if the "Ave_Frame_Rate_Display" line can add stuff to the on screen data, I imagine there must be other lines too that will change it? Maybe not...

They are also part of the average frame rate data.

To do more editing you need to use the hex edit method.

FS04 is not like FSX in this regard.