Sign in to follow this  
LRW

Takeoff Ref - V1 = Vr

I was just watching the JustPlanes Air Canada 777-200LR CYYZ-CYVR-YSSY DVD and in the first leg (starting around 8:30 in the video) they are setting the takeoff speeds.  The EFB shows V1=154, Vr=154, V2=156.  They enter Vr as 155 in the CDU and FO Steve T. says "We'll change our Vr to a different speed; it can't think in the same speeds".

Can anyone explain that?  And is it the same in the 777 and 737?  I don't recall having any issues if the speeds were the same in the NG.  Somewhere in the past 18 months I picked up the habit of changing them if they were the same but I don't remember why.  I couldn't find any mention of it in the 737 FCOM v2 or FCTM.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

I'm not sure how it works, but the 777 and the 737 are two different planes, so even if they are made by the same company there's no guarantee that they will work the same way.

Can anyone explain that?

Remember that the speeds are meant for different purposes:

V1 is a takeoff rejection speed

Vr is rotation speed

V2 is takeoff safety / engine out speed

While they're often sequential, given the right conditions they may well be the same.  This isn't an "issue," really, it's just speeds that happen to be the same.  The captain was just showing his own quirk by not liking that they were the same, which is a similar sentiment as to why it seems odd enough to you to raise the question here.

The J41 V1 speeds are also Vr.  When I fly small aircraft, I don't really think about V1 because V1 is well beyond where I'd hit Vr (that and if I lose an engine, there really isn't an option for a V2 climbout - haha).

Kyle Rodgers

I also have a question for this DVD, in the end when they are at the gate at Sydney, I think I heard someone say we'll leave the seatbelts on for spray down, if IIRC what does this mean?

I also have a question for this DVD, in the end when they are at the gate at Sydney, I think I heard someone say we'll leave the seatbelts on for spray down, if IIRC what does this mean?

Might be pesticides, Australia is extremely defensive of any foreign plants entering the country via flights.

When you arrive in Australia (from overseas) customs normally come into the aircraft and use spray bottles to remove any insects to prevent the spread of parasites which carry diseases dangerous to humans, such as Malaria and Dengue Fever.

It depends upon the operating procedures of the airline.

We let the aircraft calculate the Vr and V2 speeds (the aircraft will not calculate v1) when the performance loading is complete then cross check it against a computer generated performance printout from the ACARS. The aircraft generated speeds must be within 3 knots of those provided by the performance computer over ACARS. If not then either the ACARS data sent to the performance computer was wrong or the weights entered into the FMC during the critical data setting procedure were wrong.

This enables a cross checking of the take off data to be performed for safety.

The performance figures generated by the computer over ACARS are always entered over the FMC generated figures. The MACTOW is entered and the trim setting checked against the stab green band.

If the speeds for Vr and V2 are the same then you only need to confirm the FMC data by pressing the relevant LSK.

V1 and Vr are often co-incident, the aircraft will call V1 and the non handling pilot will call rotate. On our aircraft there is no auto callout that I have ever heard for Vr. ( I don't know if it is there but disabled as there are a multitude of airline specific options on the 777 systems.)

Hope that helps.

When you arrive in Australia (from overseas) customs normally come into the aircraft and use spray bottles to remove any insects to prevent the spread of parasites which carry diseases dangerous to humans, such as Malaria and Dengue Fever.

I find it kinda funny that a country that has so many deadly species of animals roaming around is so worried about deadly parasites...

Well! We spared you from malaria, but good luck afterwards.  If it's not the funnel web spider, or the taipan, or the box jelly, or the brown snake, or any of the others on that long list, you may still get a roundhouse kick to the face by a kangaroo.  Good luck, mate!

Kyle Rodgers

New Zealand does the spray too. Saw it on a around the world video for a Lufthansa MD11. They explain it pretty good on there. I think it should be done on any aircraft coming into and from another country. The speed germs can spread in this day and age of flight is scary.

Richie Walsh

V1 and Vr are often co-incident, the aircraft will call V1 and the non handling pilot will call rotate. On our aircraft there is no auto callout that I have ever heard for Vr. ( I don't know if it is there but disabled as there are a multitude of airline specific options on the 777 systems.)

Yes, that how it was done on the Air Canada videos I've seen, the auto callout for V1 and the PNF calling "rotate".  Thanks for the explanation.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

I find it kinda funny that a country that has so many deadly species of animals roaming around is so worried about deadly parasites...

Well! We spared you from malaria, but good luck afterwards.  If it's not the funnel web spider, or the taipan, or the box jelly, or the brown snake, or any of the others on that long list, you may still get a roundhouse kick to the face by a kangaroo.  Good luck, mate!

It's not just human diseases, but also parasites and diseases that might affect agriculture (crops and the like). It's for the same reason that the US confiscates your foodstuffs if you fly in from abroad.

It's for the same reason that the US confiscates your foodstuffs if you fly in from abroad.

It certainly makes sense - don't get me wrong.  I just found it funny.

Kyle Rodgers

Numerous aircraft end up usually having the same V1 and Vr speed. (The J41 for instance always has the same V1 and Vr) It's mostly a function of the runway length you have available and the power the aircraft has. 777's are so overpowered that you need a pretty short runway before you start getting V1 and Vr to differ significantly. You can read them being the same as "It's safe to reject the takeoff all the way up to rotation speed." With a shorter runway or less power you'd be committed to flying much earlier in the roll.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Numerous aircraft end up usually having the same V1 and Vr speed. (The J41 for instance always has the same V1 and Vr) It's mostly a function of the runway length you have available and the power the aircraft has. 777's are so overpowered that you need a pretty short runway before you start getting V1 and Vr to differ significantly. You can read them being the same as "It's safe to reject the takeoff all the way up to rotation speed." With a shorter runway or less power you'd be committed to flying much earlier in the roll.

The question is though, why did the pilot in the video override the Vr setting so that V1 would not be the same as Vr, even though according to the performance calculations they should be the same?